Healthy Dog Hyper-Interested In Wounded Dog

My 5-year-old, Brin, was bit by another dog last weekend. She has a 3" gash with 8 staples. This morning, she took out a staple and re-opened the healing wound. There is no blood seepage and no infection. We treated with neosporin, and put gauze over the wound. Today, my 11-year-old, Zola, is hyper-interested in Brin. She is sniffing Brin up and down, lingering around the wound area. I haven't seen aggression but I am uncomfortable with Zola's excessive interest.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

I've heard and seen pics of dogs within the same family being very nurturing and "nurse-y" to each other when one is injured. But I've also heard of the opposite situation. If you're uncomfortable with Zola's interest in Brin, I think you should trust your gut. You know your dogs best. I absolutely separate my dogs with baby gates if one is recovering or even not feeling well.

Hope your sweet Brin continues to recover well.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I recently went through the same thing. Lucy had cut her foot and my new boy Adam was pretty obsessive about cleaning it for her. He wasn't aggressive towards her but, he was determined to follow her around and lick that foot until it healed. Now Lucy is dominant in my pack even though she has seizures. She wasn't weak and Adam's behavior appeared submissive to her. I let it continue when I was home but when I leave I always muzzle all the dogs (Lucy is seizure dog so can't take chances).

In your case, you have to look at the behavior, is Brin acting weak and is Zola acting dominant? If this is the case .. muzzle. If you are not sure of the pack dynamics, muzzle.

I'd muzzle just incase, but it may be no more than Zola knowing something you don't. Keep a close eye on the wound. Mine have alerted me to infections before they were noticeable by me.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I recently went through the same thing. Lucy had cut her foot and my new boy Adam was pretty obsessive about cleaning it for her. He wasn't aggressive towards her but, he was determined to follow her around and lick that foot until it healed. Now Lucy is dominant in my pack even though she has seizures. She wasn't weak and Adam's behavior appeared submissive to her. I let it continue when I was home but when I leave I always muzzle all the dogs (Lucy is seizure dog so can't take chances).

In your case, you have to look at the behavior, is Brin acting weak and is Zola acting dominant? If this is the case .. muzzle. If you are not sure of the pack dynamics, muzzle.

I just wanted to add that I'm lucky to be home most of the time and could probably stop an aggressive act pretty quickly. I think that I did a disservice to you in not more strongly suggesting that you muzzle since you may not have that option.

When I got my tattoo both dogs were obsessive about sniffing and trying to lick it. I would think its a concerned behavior. Although if your picking up on body language that is making you nervous absolutely muzzle!

------

Jessica

She was only interested that one day and is back to normal. Thanks everyone!

Great. I'm late to the party but was just going to say that dogs always seem interested in this kind of thing but if it doesn't get annoying to the injured one don't worry about it.

When my Sobe had a serious neck injury once, many staples, and was medicated to keep still for days, I but an Xpen around him to keep his sister and the foster (that had caused the injury) away from him because they wanted to be close to him. Nothing aggressive, I just wanted him to keep still and them to keep away from him. They "mothered" too much.

Glad this is all working out so well! You got good advice, and I was thinking the same as foxysmom, too. Watch, pay attention to your gut feeling, but also pay attention to what the other dogs' senses may be picking up that you're not.

Sorry for the attack, too! yeesh! My nightmare! Hope there are no lingering psychological effects. :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.