He's Been With Us 6 Months - Lots Of Photos

Although I posted an introduction a few months ago, I felt it was time to share some of my boy Hester’s life with the good people here from whom I have learned much. While much of my experience will be familiar to or perhaps surpassed by many of you Greyhound veterans, I am amazed everyday by this remarkable creature and I consider it a privilege to just be in his presence. His impact is particularly striking to me as this is my first pet of any kind.

First a bit of info before the photos. Hester is large, but he is also very narrow. The width of his shoulders and chest are as narrow as any other greyhound I have seen, including females as light as 60 pounds and yet he weighs around 90 pounds. That should give you an idea of his lankiness. He is close to 30 inches tall at the shoulder, but what really stands out is his ridiculous length. I haven’t put a tape measure on him but his walk is much more of a slink like a Panther as opposed to the jaunty trot of a Greyhound. He runs like no other Greyhound I have seen. There is none of the lightning fast cadence but rather a bounding action with incredible elevation. When he passes by it is more like the thunder of galloping horse. I get shivers from the vibration that comes up through my feet. He was good at the track and had a long career.

His personality is best described as extremely dignified with occasional playfulness. He will accept affection and will reciprocate but only in the most respectful ways. After 6 months he is becoming more forward and confident in his interactions with us. While not quite a cuddler yet, we are teaching him that it is OK to snuggle a bit. His lips quiver when he looks at any member of the family and he chatters regularely. What is most notable is his bond with me. He simply will not leave my side. He prefers to have me hold his paw when he naps so that he doesn’t have to keep checking that I am there, and yet he is confident enough to allow me to leave him home alone for several hours without a fuss.

When I am out with him he is so focused on me as “pack leader” that he could legitimately be an off-leash dog (although I would never even consider it). I have done no training other than “Hester come!” and rarely speak to him. He seems to know what I want and responds to my body language. On the leash he has been like a champion show dog since his first walk in which occasional pulling needed light correction.

His manners in the house are perfect. He has never entered the kitchen since being given a gentle correction on his first day with us (I simply walked straight at him with my head and chest held very high). He has never put anything in his mouth other than food from his own bowl and that includes when he was left alone for three hours with a bag of food garbage - and it was rib night!

With other dogs he shows the way, cautious and gentle with older or smaller dogs and yet very firm with any misbehaviour. When off leash he is absolutely dominant of all others but never shows aggression. He simply stands erect, ears up, and puffs up his chest. Other dogs simply lower their heads and approach cautiously with eyes averted. He will stand motionless and permit them to carefully investigate his nether regions and then he will just walk away, often without giving them a sniff. Female Greyhounds will lick his muzzle. For these fine ladies he will do some sniffing of his own.

The photos:

Looking regal

showingsomeheart002.jpg

This is my girlfriend, she is crazy pretty, super sweet and the most joyful Greyhound you will ever meet. I am a bit more serious.

atthebeachpals.jpg

No one runs like me

noonerunslikeme001.jpg

I can fly!

icanflyd.jpg

Launch

hesterlaunch.jpg

Look into my eyes

lookintomyeyes.jpg

Gotcha

hesterinhisyard.jpg

Faster

atthebeach002.jpg

This beach is mine

hesterandwhisper003.jpg

When I cut loose at the beach people ignore there own dogs to watch me.

peoplestandandwatch.jpg

Deep in thought

atthebeach001.jpg

I need my rest

hesterets.jpg

What a great set of pictures! I love the beach pictures too - he looks so happy. He sounds wonderful and how lovely that he has a girlfriend.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

You are quite a story teller and it's easy to see why you are in love with this handsome doggie. Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds. My very first pet was also a greyhound and I have been in love ever since. Thanks for sharing such fabulous pictures. :beatheart

Thank you for sharing. A wonderful way to start the day.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Another cowdoggie lover here. What a gorgeous boy you have! Great pics!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

What a wonderful description...no wonder you are so in love with him. thanks for sharing.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IHeartDogs

Thank you for sharing your special boy with us. He is a perfect match for you! Not only a stunner, but such great personality and seems bomb proof. You both hit the lottery :)

You have a best friend forever with Hester :inlove

I love your story of Hester, beautifully written and the pictures are greyt, thanks for sharing him w/us!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Spencer is so much like him -- same size, same temperament, same behavior. Thanks for explaining it all so well! I DO understand how completely you can fall for a dog like this! And welcome to GT!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

He is stunning! And this?

I consider it a privilege to just be in his presence

I feel exactly the same way. :yay

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

What a handsome boy! And what a life!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)