Osteo Thread V

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, by my count, in the last 2-3 weeks, there have been 9 new osteo diagnoses here on GT. :weep

Dante :brokenheart

Win :brokenheart

Macho

Cash

Anubis

Tristan

Maya

Dynamo,

and just today - Havoc

A cure can't come soon enough.

Re: Tristan eating - part of it may be that it is so soon after surgery. Twiggy didn't eat much the first couple days (she did eat, just not normally). Canned food seemed to go over best, and cat food is always really popular with dogs, it seems. Hopefully, he'll start eating better soon. (you take beautiful pictures, by the way!).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest snakes

9 new members....uggg...

Just a quick suggestion to everyone new, it is often easier to adjust gabapentin doses/timing when you use 100mg capsules, The area small capsules that i assume don't taste of much (i put them in with food and they get gobbled up, unlike tramadol). That way you can adjsut the dosages up and down easier.

At one point I also gave higher doses in the morning compared to at night (300mg in AM and 200mg noontime, 100mg at bedtime) because most of our activity was in the morning and the pain seemed worse in the morning.

Humans out there, remember to treat yourself throughout all this, you need all the strength you've got! Have some ice cream, wine, a dinner out, massage, whatever your flavor, do something for yourself for being so strong and caring so much for your pups!

Guest patterpaws

I'm sad at the new diagnoses lately. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. :(

I think I'd dose the gabapentin more like every 4 hours at a lower dose than 300mg at a time. From what I'm seeing from others here, that seems to be most efficient, both for effective pain management and to keep him from feeling woozy.

I'll ask my vet about it on Monday... It seems like thats the consensus, though I think I'd have to get some gabapentin in smaller pills since I only have the 300mg capsules. Thank you for the advice! :)

Question for you--how are you giving 90mgs of Rimadyl? Comes in 25mg, 75mg and 100mgs.

Try to syringe meat baby food so he can get the rimadyl. Still think its the fentanyl patch that's causing the decreased appetite.

For the Rimadyl, I'm supposed to give 1 75mg tablet plus a broken off 1/4 piece.... I was rounding to 90, but if it was super accurate, the dose would be 93.75mg. the 1/4 pieces don't break off perfectly and some teeny crumbles are lost, so I'm sure its not super accurate.

We finally tempted Tristan to eat! Thank you for all the suggestions. He caved in with some dried turkey hearts, then ate a few other random treats, and of all things, a few bites of the cheapest canned dogfood we could find (Alpo). If we have any troubles tonight, he might just get his dream come true.... cat food!!!! (He's always trying to steal it from our kitties) Or maybe he'll follow in Dude's paw-steps and accept a McDonalds cheeseburger. :)

Walgreens carries gabapentin in 100mg capsules. Get your vet to write you a prescription large enough to cover at least 1 month (better would be 3 months, although that's a chunk of money at one time) so you can get a better price. If you don't already have one, a Walgreens Prescription Savings Card for your family (will cover dogs and people) probably will save you more than the cost of the card on your first prescription. (The card is $35 for a year for the family.)

If I remember correctly, you can't get Rimadyl from a regular people pharmacy. (It's never prescribed for people because people using it have a bad skin reaction to the sun.) But you certainly can get tramadol at Walgreens. Again, try to get your vet to work with you on the quantity. When in doubt, I've just asked the pharmacist "How does my vet need to word this so I get the best price?", then passed the message on to my vet, who's very cooperative.

(180 of the 100mg gabapentin at Walgreens: Retail price: $67.98. With the Prescription Savings Card: $15.00. If Sam takes six a day, 180 pills is 30 days. He often just takes four pills, so this last a bit longer.)

(One advantage of a Walgreens or other people pharmacy is that you can refill a prescription on weekends or holidays--times when vets are hard to reach. And if I look up a 24-hour Walgreens, I can go there to fill a script in the middle of the night. And you can call and punch numbers on your phone to order a refill, asking that it be ready at a particular time.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest madredhare

Not sure if this helps or not. My Tom is a very picky eater. I was able (and still am able) to get him his pills by using a very thin slice of lunchmeat with a dab of peanut butter in the center to hold the pills (2-3 depending on size). Then I roll it up in a little tube and he takes it all. This has been successful for us for almost 3 months now.

Guest patterpaws

Not sure if this helps or not. My Tom is a very picky eater. I was able (and still am able) to get him his pills by using a very thin slice of lunchmeat with a dab of peanut butter in the center to hold the pills (2-3 depending on size). Then I roll it up in a little tube and he takes it all. This has been successful for us for almost 3 months now.

thanks for the tip, I'll try that! Its getting harder and harder to fool him...

we've had great success with putting the pills in liver sausage. The Rimadyl can be broken in 1/2 and put in his food but the Tramadols, those must taste HORRIBLE because Nube won't touch them unless they're completely disguised (and this is a dog that used to eat any pill in his food!). Our friends have used hot dogs, too -- just stuff 'em inside. I think if you rotate it will take longer for them to wise up. :) good luck!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sam gets his half-dozen (or more) pills rolled inside a thin deli-style slice of turkey. He knows the pills are there, but he's willing to gulp them down in order to get the turkey. I roll the tube, hold both ends of it, and let Sam snatch the center section with the pills. He sucks it in as fast as he can, out of fear that his sister will take it right out of his mouth.

Once in a while, a pill falls out of the tube. That's when I break out a slice of that awful cheese--the wrapped single slices. I put the escaped pill on the slice, fold it in quarters and squeeze the edges so the pill doesn't come loose again, and let Sam gulp down his loaded square of cheese.

Sam has been perfectly willing to take naked pills in the past. (He still takes his fish oil capsule from my hand so he can bite it. Lovely mackerel breath.) But once he bites into something nasty, he starts trying to spit things out and fights if you try to pill him. (And several of his pills are teeny-tiny.) The turkey slice is the equivalent of a reward for taking his pills without a fight.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Once in a while, a pill falls out of the tube. That's when I break out a slice of that awful cheese--the wrapped single slices. I put the escaped pill on the slice, fold it in quarters and squeeze the edges so the pill doesn't come loose again, and let Sam gulp down his loaded square of cheese.

forgot to mention our friends used the same kind of cheese too, it's easy to form around the pills :)

sending prayers.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest OPointyDog

I was able (and still am able) to get him his pills by using a very thin slice of lunchmeat with a dab of peanut butter in the center to hold the pills (2-3 depending on size). Then I roll it up in a little tube and he takes it all. This has been successful for us for almost 3 months now.

We do this too! I call them "tramadol burritos" and Zoe loves them. Half the time she doesn't even chew. I find the roast beef works pretty well. :)

Guest cashie

I know this was mentioned by someone else in a previous post (thank you, thank you, thank you!), but in case any of the new members haven't read back that far you can get Rimadyl (they have to order it, takes 5-7 days) and Tramadol from Costco pharmacy. I was paying $43 for 28 50mg Tramadol and at Costco I paid $17 for 150 of the same. HUGE savings! My Rimadyl did not come in yet but I imagine it will be cheaper as well.

Having a hard time getting Cash to take pills too. We tried turkey cheese roll ups, peanut butter, melted cheese balls, candy, hot dogs and pill "wraps". Our current method is raw hamburger but he is starting to catch on. Marshmallows work 50% of the time. Will try the sausage, thanks for the tip!

My Sutra was a tough customer when it came to pills...fruit roll ups worked for a while, but, what worked THE BEST was canned whipped cream because he never felt the need to chew it. I'd hold the pill between my thumb and forefinger, right at the tips, then cover the pill(s) with a spritz of whipped cream. He'd take it and I'd spritz some more on my fingers right away as kind of a chaser to keep his attention on me instead of the pills he just took :)

We got to the point where he'd come to check things out if he heard me get the can out of the fridge :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

If he likes dried turkey hearts you might want to try cooked chicken hearts-natural pill pockets!!

Sadly, our fight didn't last long. We had to put Dynamo down last night. We just couldn't get in front of his pain, at least not fast enough. His face made it very clear that he was tired of hurting and not being able to keep up with his pack, or do his happy dinner dance, or even just stand up easily. I know we could have tried longer with pain meds, but I think I made the right call. I wish that made it hurt less.

Good luck to everyone else still fighting. I am going to keep watching Tristan's progress and recovery!

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

Guest GenetJen

Sadly, our fight didn't last long. We had to put Dynamo down last night. We just couldn't get in front of his pain, at least not fast enough. His face made it very clear that he was tired of hurting and not being able to keep up with his pack, or do his happy dinner dance, or even just stand up easily. I know we could have tried longer with pain meds, but I think I made the right call. I wish that made it hurt less.

Good luck to everyone else still fighting. I am going to keep watching Tristan's progress and recovery!

I am so sorry! I fear we won't be that far behind. :(

Thanks to all my type A peeps who responded and related. Thinking of everyone... Nubey, Tristan, Cash, Macho, Havoc. :(

Maya's still been taking her pills wells in liver sausage and mcdonald's cheeseburgers. Marshmallows were NOT a hit in our house. She looked at me like I was crazy. lol.

Does anyone besides me give tramadol 4x per day (every 6-ish hours?) or are most people just 3x per day? Just curious.

Guest patterpaws

I'm so sorry about Dynamo too. :cry1 We would have gone that route if we didnt end up going with chemo. Its astounding how fast osteo progresses once it takes hold. Agreed that its a selfless act to release him from the pain. Sending many hugs and love from Tristan and I. My deepest condolences for your loss. :(:candle:angelwings:cry1

Thanks for the suggestions regarding pill-hiding techniques! So far so good, had no troubles with pills today.

:( :( i am so so sorry about Dynamo. Thank you for putting him first and releasing him from pain. I am so sorry though. My heart breaks for you. :(

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Dynamo. Hopefully down the road knowing you did the best thing for him will be somewhat of a consolation. :grouphug:(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest cashie

My heart goes out to you for your loss of Dynamo. I agree, such an unselfish act on your part. I feel like we are also close behind and it is absolutely killing me.

Guest cashie

I am so sorry! I fear we won't be that far behind. :(

Thanks to all my type A peeps who responded and related. Thinking of everyone... Nubey, Tristan, Cash, Macho, Havoc. :(

Maya's still been taking her pills wells in liver sausage and mcdonald's cheeseburgers. Marshmallows were NOT a hit in our house. She looked at me like I was crazy. lol.

Does anyone besides me give tramadol 4x per day (every 6-ish hours?) or are most people just 3x per day? Just curious.

I gave Cash Tramadol 4 times yesterday since it can be given every 4-6 hours as needed. He definitely needed it:( Something is going on with his hind leg now too. I can't stand seeing him so broken:(

Thanks everyone. I am so sorry for Cash and Maya and anyone else who might be close behind us. Thinking of all of you and your hounds. I definitely don't regret my decision and I am sure Dynamo would be grateful. It is just difficult for those of us left behind who miss them.

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

Tamara, I am very sorry. Dynamo was a stunning boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.