Pancreatitis

Swoop was just diagnosed (exam/symptoms/blood work). I've been reading up on it but was wondering if anyone out there who has delt with it has any advice or info you wanted to share. Thanks in advance

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Poodle almost died from it 2.5 years ago My sister fed him a boatload of bacon while I was asleep. He was in the hospital a day and had to go back for sub Q fluids twice.

Vet thinks Poodle's severe case might also have had a role in him becoming diabetic so might keep an eye out for that in the weeks to come if you notice the water dish emptying more than normal.

Low fat food is good. He has been on Natural Balance Ultra light for 2 years and done well, but I'm sort of wigged by the recall, even though it wasn't his exact food, but same manufacturer. He's now eating Purina Pro Plan weight management but has also done fine on Purina One Selects weight management. All three of the above show around 8% minimum fat (which is a sticky wicket as not all list maximum).

Prairie Profs pup had it too, but not quite as severe as Poodle I think. Can't remember what she feeds but sure she'll chime in.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I fed Sutra Solid Gold Wolf King for a while after he was finally interested in kibble again (he was very ill so he was eating a variety of human food when he first got sick-mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, oatmeal, turkey baby food...just to get him to eat). After he was stable and doing well I switched him to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It does have a good amount of fat, but, he never had an issue. I think the TYPE of fat plays a big role.

Not sure if Anne still feeds Beth TOTW or if she switched to something different...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Several times. As you know it can be life threatening. Jodie did well on a home cooked diet (she also had IBD and a pancreatic insuffiency). Shadow was eating SG Holistique Blendz and I have no idea why he ended up with pancreatitis. It's a low fat food.

Jodie had chronic pancreatitis before I started cooking and before the insuffiency was diagnosed. Shadow had it the one time and it almost killed him. I believe the only thing that saved him is we were aggressive with treatment (antibiotics, which many say doesn't help & fluids and npo for several days) and acupuncture (which I know saved his life).

I'd opt for a low fat food. How old is he?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Rascal has had pancreatitis. He's fine now, just have to be very careful of what he eats. We never offer any human or canine treats, and he is doing great on Holistic Select (Eagle Pack) dry kibble moistened with water.

Guest snakes

UPS had it, only real sign was that she stopped eating and was low energy. Blood tests comfirmed it, we did an ultrasound to make sure there were no stones or anything else wrong with the pancreas or gallbladder. She jsut gradually started eating again, and I switched her to Premium Light (i order it through PetFlow). She did great on that food except she developed a taste for poop! So now I have her on Iams Healthy Naturals and she is fine.

I think it was brought on by the food she was on before, i had both her and her brother on TOTW buffalo recipie, neither did well on it and antoher freinds dog got very very sick around the same time. Probably cooincidence but it was defiantly too hgih fat for my two.

My last dog got a severe attack and her diet had to be maintained throughout her life, but she did fine. In the beginning I put her on Innova Senior food (low fat but didn't have a lot of fillers...back then there weren't nearly as many food options as today). She still had a very sensitive tummy and vomited 2-3 times per week. Then, she did much better digesting when I started adding add-ins like low fat cottage cheese, eggs, low fat meats, etc. In the end, we eventually switched her to a homemade diet with probiotics and by far that worked the best for her. We never had another problem for 10 years. I discovered the quality of protein and fat was just important as the quantity. If the pancreatitis is not chronic, most dogs can be put back on their regular diet once they are treated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DoofBert

Our Tessa was diasnosed recently... she's 12.5 not sure what brought it on. We are still feeding bland diet, smal portions every four hours or so. She won't touch the i/d canned food or purina's e/n formula. she'll eat boiled turkey, but will not touch rice.

Any idea on home made, bland diet type foods? I know the boiled hamburger/chicken... What other thoughts out there?

Mine never want to eat rice when offered so when needing a bland diet, I make no yolks noodles, they don't turn their nose up at them

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Try cooked elbow macaroni with chicken or boiled ground beef. Add a little bit of low fat cottage cheese to the mix too :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest sirsmom

Poodle almost died from it 2.5 years ago My sister fed him a boatload of bacon while I was asleep. He was in the hospital a day and had to go back for sub Q fluids twice.

Vet thinks Poodle's severe case might also have had a role in him becoming diabetic so might keep an eye out for that in the weeks to come if you notice the water dish emptying more than normal.

Low fat food is good. He has been on Natural Balance Ultra light for 2 years and done well, but I'm sort of wigged by the recall, even though it wasn't his exact food, but same manufacturer. He's now eating Purina Pro Plan weight management but has also done fine on Purina One Selects weight management. All three of the above show around 8% minimum fat (which is a sticky wicket as not all list maximum).

Prairie Profs pup had it too, but not quite as severe as Poodle I think. Can't remember what she feeds but sure she'll chime in.

Yes, this also happened to one of our past dogs. Our dogsitter fed him greasy pizza and when we got home he was very ill with diahrrea, vomiting etc and that turned into diabetes a few weeks later.

Ebony has problems with her pancreas so the had me switch herto the same np grin food & enzymes as Noelle eats for her exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Both girl get 4 small meals a day & Eb is doing very well When he vet was checking her to see what was wrong he just brushed her sides * se screamed so loud that even the calves that were in the outside area stopped bawling to hear what was going on. This is the first problem Eb has had in her 11 years with me. Eb will stay on the EPI diet from now on as she is back to being a happy girl.

Bland, low fat, low sodium: Oatmeal (check the sodium content on what you buy), Cheerios, Shredded Wheat if your dog can tolerate wheat. I've never had much luck with cooked oatmeal or potatoes but Cheerios usually go down well. Some of the other people cereals are fairly low fat/sugar/sodium and fairly limited in ingredients -- Chex of various sorts, for example. You do have to feed a reasonable amount to keep the calories up but might be a good option for a dog who doesn't like the canned low residue foods or cooked rice.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DoofBert

Thanks for the ideas....I'm pleased to report that Tessa ate well last night and this morning...... stewed beef and brown rice that had been chopped in food processor.

We use organic oat meal.... so I think we'll try some of that. The daddieman simmers it overnight in double boiler, so it is nice and soft. Tessa is very thin now and we need to get some wieght back on her. We'll also try some Cheerios.

Thanks again!