Fda Report On Diamond Facility

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

I agree. I don't think salmonella was the only issue either. But I do know I will no longer support any product made by Diamond. I've been affected by 2 recalls from them. And this time I got sick, but didn't even know it at the time or I would have been a whole lot more upset! I thought I had the stomach flu or something, but I was sick a little over a week. The 9 days I fed TOTW in March when I ran out of my regular food and it takes 4 days shipping so I bought a bag of TOTW to tide us over. Didn't put 2 and 2 together until the recall. And that was during my vacation too!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest RNJaney09
:POed So what exactly are their "151 checks"?!? Dang! That is a bummer, thanks for posting. I have been feeding Finley the Diamond Naturals Senior (chicken/egg/oatmeal) for a while now and thank the Lord he's been fine. I will definitely be switching. Anyone know off the top of their heads all the foods/companies that use the Diamond plant? I'm assuming I should not only nix the Diamond brand, but the other brands that are produced there as well???

I guess cheap food has a price after all :(

I don't feed food from this manufacturer, any more. On a previous recall, I had fed Brandy and John E the kibble on the list and needed to treat them for a month to prevent liver damage. Diamond paid for the supplements, but, I will never forget the phone call from a man who was given my number by someone who knew our dogs had been involved in the health scare. He told me he lost both of his dogs. Diamond manufactures for some high end kibble names which are not cheap. I think this a case of people who think they were feeding something more than supermarket kibble. It is sad situation in that not only pets but humans have been made sick, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It just gets worse and worse. That report is truly horrific. I wonder if they will check the other Diamond plants based on this.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Energy11

We threw the new bag of Premium Edge we had. It was not in the "recall", but I am not trusting Diamond anymore. I have all Merrick products in the house right now. I am not going to compromise the heath of these five seinors, with contaminated food. They get the best vet care *(I have THE MOST amazing vet, who makes house calls, so my babies don't get stressed, AND, he gave me his cell number)! ... I can't let bad dog food ruin the last of their Golden Years.

ALL the food I trusted, ... or most, was realled! UNREAL!! I thought it was China we had to worry about?

Guest BrianRke

I had been happy with Diamond and wasnt planning on switching until I saw this report. *sigh* I guess I will have a couple weeks of gassy greyhounds when I switch their food :(

Guest Celestrina

I was going to use Wellness Super5, but then I found out that some types were made at that plant. Now we're going to try Nature's Variety Prarie Lamb, Barley, and Salmon.

I have all Merrick products in the house right now.

Just a FYI - Merrick dog treats have had their fair share of recalls over the years... http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/

Now we're going to try Nature's Variety Prarie Lamb, Barley, and Salmon.

I've heard good things about Nature's Variety, but they are not free from recalls either. None since 2010 though - see link above.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Energy11

My girls ate straight Merrick. My boys, a combination of Whole Earth Farms Senior (Merrick), AND Premium Edge Light (Diamond). I have noticed diarrhea with the boys off and on for about 30 days ... now, I think I know why! :(

I had been happy with Diamond and wasnt planning on switching until I saw this report. *sigh* I guess I will have a couple weeks of gassy greyhounds when I switch their food :(

I knew about the Merrick recalls, but, most are treats, which we dont' use. It is hard to find a decent kibble these days!

Guest Celestrina

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/

Now we're going to try Nature's Variety Prarie Lamb, Barley, and Salmon.

I've heard good things about Nature's Variety, but they are not free from recalls either. None since 2010 though - see link above.

True, but my decision isn't just based on the recall. I wasn't going to switch until I read that report regarding the plant.

Guest PiagetsMom

Mirage eats the TOTW Lamb and Maya the Pacific Stream. Even though it wasn't recalled here, I've decided to give the Orijen Adult Dog Grain Free a try and see how they do on it as it's quite a bit higher in protein than the TOTW. Other than it being expensive, I know Orijen's a quality food, and everything I've heard about it has been good.

Thank you for posing this.

Shoot, Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice is the only food I have found that hasn't shredded my poor girl's tummy, but this makes me very wary of their products. Off to do some research to find something similar...

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I have been feeding Polly TOTW for about a year; she and Booker did really well on it. Yesterday when I got home I found that she had pooped very loosely in the living room; then I saw that her dog walker had also cleaned up after her earlier in the day. When I went on line I found out about the recall, and I checked my UPC codes, and sure enough, our TOTW was in the recall. My problem is that I had arranged to fly down to Florida today to bring my father back to NY to a nursing facility. That plan couldn't be changed. So Polly is being taken care of while I am gone by the dog walker, who is excellent, and a family friend, who is also very reliable, but neither will be able to take her to the vet tomorrow or Saturday -- she will have to wait until I get home Saturday night. I fasted her last night and this morning, and tonight she had a little of a different kibble just to see how she would do. She was at her vets for her senior checkup just last Saturday, and all her blood and urine test were good. So whatever this is, it hadn't started last Saturday, although she was eating from the same bag of TOTW for about two weeks, I believe.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on what I could advise her caregivers to do until I can home.

Terry

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

I've had really good results with ProPlan Selects salmon and brown rice. It's a good formula - no corn, no wheat, no gluten, no atrifical colors or flavors. I've even fed it to fosters with no transition and no problems. Selects are, to some extent, the Rodney Dangerfield of kibbles. I haven't heard of any recent recalls for the Purina brands.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Thanks for sharing this. I had thought of going back to Canidae when this was straightened out. Won't be doing that now unless/until they get their own plant. Thankfully, Aquitaine did not get sick. I did get Salmonella, badly. We can directly trace it to the arrival of the bag of food in March and it started to improve when I stopped feeding it two weeks ago. My doctor has warned me that since I have IBS, my recovery will be much longer than usual. Fun. Most importantly, Aquitaine is okay. It is really sad to see a company let itself go this way. Especially a company that people trust to produce food for animals that they love.