Diamond Expanded Recall

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

Basically ALL Diamond foods made at their SC plant.

http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

May 4, 2012

Diamond Expands Voluntary Recall

Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food Due to Potential Salmonella Contamination

Batches of the brands manufactured between

December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 are affected

Consumer Contact: 866-918-8756

Media Contact: 816-255-1974

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – May 4, 2012

Diamond Pet Foods today announced that it is expanding a voluntary recall to include batches of nine brands of dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 due to potential Salmonella contamination.

In April 2012, Diamond Pet Foods initiated three voluntary recalls of Diamond manufactured dry dog food. Although none of the additional products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies and decided to independently expand the recall to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.

The company stated: “We have taken corrective actions at our Gaston, S.C., facility and voluntarily expanded the recall out of concern for our customers and their pets.”

Brands included in the recall include:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul

Country Value

Diamond

Diamond Naturals

Premium Edge

Professional

4Health

Taste of the Wild

To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed above are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.

The following graphic illustrates how to read the production code and best-before date:

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama

Florida

Georgia

Indiana

Kentucky

Massachusetts

Maryland

Michigan

Mississippi

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Virginia

Canada

The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall include:

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags must have both a number “3” in the 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed are December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013.

The following illustrates how to read the production code and best-before date:

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Alabama

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Canada

Puerto Rico

Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any issues this may cause consumers and their pets. Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST. Consumers may also go to a special website, www.diamondpetrecall.com, for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected product is removed from shelves.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. People who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella. We are working with the CDC, but due to patient confidentiality, we cannot comment further.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received a call from Costco informing us of the recall.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Glad I listened to my gut today when I bought food, kids are usually on TOTW, I bought Eagle Pack. Diamond seems to have some major issues... :angryfire

THanks for posting the very complete info!

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Guest WhiteWave

I've used Eagle Pack and never had a problem with them. I was considering trying the new 4 Health Salmon formula, but glad I didn't. I quit feeding Diamond after the recall a few years ago b/c I had one of the bags that had afloxtoxins or whatever they call it that was killing dogs.

I'm using Earthborn Holistic grain free line and have been happy with it. Priced similar to TOTW, but more calories so you can feed a little less.

I just received a call from Diamond informing us of the recall. They must have gotten our phone number from Costco.

I got a call this evening from Costco. They said no Kirkland Signature food has tested positive for salmonella. I've fed over half this bag with no signs of illness. I checked the numbers on their website and the bag I have isn't listed as part of the recall, but somehow that doesn't make me feel better. :(

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Liz_in_PA

We threw out a bag of TOTW yellow that smelled absolutely foul. I have no idea how my husband didn't smell it. Dash was only eating it when he got really hungry. Bonnie was snarfing it up. But I have no idea what the lot number is. Now I wonder if I should get them tested. I switched foods so of course they have soft poo.

We just opened two new bags this last week and of course threw the bags away. :rolleyes: None of my dogs show any signs of being ill.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I empty mine into another containe and, of course, as luck would have it the bag was in the trash pick up on Wednesday. All three are fine, but I'm tossing it anyway. Now to find something for them for tomorrow.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Melissa516

We're in the same boat. Ours eat TotW Salmon. I looked at the product code but really can't tell if it's part of the recall or not (TDP0301A31XAW 1345 - Best Before 05/Mar/2013). Guess we're going to take it back to the store tomorrow, but now we have no idea what to feed them in the morning.

We're in the same boat. Ours eat TotW Salmon. I looked at the product code but really can't tell if it's part of the recall or not (TDP0301A31XAW 1345 - Best Before 05/Mar/2013). Guess we're going to take it back to the store tomorrow, but now we have no idea what to feed them in the morning.

A quick meal can be white rice with some ground beef, or chicken or even sardines/tuna.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest Melissa516

We have some cans of TotW. I don't think those were affected. I was thinking about giving each half a can of that mixed with some white rice. What do you think?

I have two open bags that my dogs have been eating and no one has gotten sick. I do nit know the dates since I put the food in containers and throw the bags away. I don't know what to do.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I've used Eagle Pack and never had a problem with them. I was considering trying the new 4 Health Salmon formula, but glad I didn't. I quit feeding Diamond after the recall a few years ago b/c I had one of the bags that had afloxtoxins or whatever they call it that was killing dogs.

I'm using Earthborn Holistic grain free line and have been happy with it. Priced similar to TOTW, but more calories so you can feed a little less.

I just went to Earthborn Holistic's website and checked their Coastal Catch. Looks like a good alternative for me. It will be a little bit of a drive since there's not a retailer close by. Thanks for posting this as I wasn't familiar with the Earthborn Holistic line.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Some Natural Balance has been added to the list....

Yes. Here's the link: Natural Balance Recall

Edited by galgrey

Guest WhiteWave

Just got this email, Canidae, Natural Balance and Wellness added to list.

Pet Food Recalls

Hello Tiffany

We would like to inform you about some just released recalls.

As a result of Salmonella at the Diamond Pet Foods plant in Gaston, South Carolina the following foods have issued voluntary recalls for some of their foods made in this plant.

If you find your food on the list of recalls please go to the manufactures website, compare the dates and batch numbers to see if yours is affected.

If you are not sure yours is affected please bring it in and we will check it for you. As always we will be happy to return any food purchased from us.

From Diamond Dog Food http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul

Country Value

Diamond

Diamond Naturals

Premium Edge

Professional

4Health

Taste of the Wild

From Natural Balance http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/NB_recall.html

Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog - 5, 15, 28 pound dry

Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog - 5, 15, 28 pound dry

Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog - 5 pound dry

Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Large Breed Dog - 28 pound dry

Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Small Breed Dog – 5, 12.5 pound dry

From Canidae http://www.canidae.com/info/index.html

CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, All Life Stages

CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Chicken Meal & Rice

CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice

CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, CANIDAE Platinum

From Wellness http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/news.aspx

Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy

We have checked our stock and currently do not have any of the recalled items on our shelves.

We did find and have removed from our shelves a limited amount of the following,

Taste of the Wild

Rocky Mountain Feline 5#

Canyon River Feline 5 and 15#

Wetlands K9 5#

Pacific Stream K9 5#

High Prairie K9 5#

Diamond Naturals

60 plus 40#

Natural Balance

Sweet Potato & Venison 28#

I just talked to a the owner of a local feed store here about the recalls. He has been in touch with Diamond and was told that two of the three extruders at the Gaston, SC Diamond plant had shown some salmonella bacteria. They know which lot of food came from which extruder and on what date, so they are recalling the lots that came from those extruders. Also, no dogs have been reported sick and supposedly no actual food batches have tested positive, but there have been around a dozen or so people who got salmonella from handling the dog food and the particular salmonella strain was traced back to the Diamond plant through some DNA testing. There have been no human fatalities, but 5 people of the people were hospitalized for treatment but have since made full recoveries. Healthy adult dogs don't usually get salmonella, but puppies or older dogs with compromised immune systems could be at risk. The bigger risk here is people contracting it from handling the food or from close contact with a dog who has eaten the food. Healthy adults may get an infection but it's not life threatening. It's the very young, the very old, and anyone with a compromised immune system that is at significant risk. Just passing this along as it was told to me.

Edited by galgrey

supposedly no actual food batches have tested positive

The reason for the recall is that multiple types of their food DID test positive for Salmonella.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It looks like the current bag of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice that Luna has been eating out of is not a part of the recall.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who feed these foods to your dogs but do not have affected products, are you still planning on throwing it out and switching to another brand?

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I have two open bags that my dogs have been eating and no one has gotten sick. I do nit know the dates since I put the food in containers and throw the bags away. I don't know what to do.

I just returned mine to Costco in a trash bag.... I had my slip so no problem.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I just returned mine to Costco in a trash bag.... I had my slip so no problem.

In the same boat as Jennifer, plus I don't have my receipt. They did call me today though so it isn't like they don't know I bought a bag recently. I'm going to call them and see what they will do.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

The reason for the recall is that multiple types of their food DID test positive for Salmonella.

I believe I did say that this info came from the Diamond plant. :colgate

I believe I did say that this info came from the Diamond plant. :colgate

Yes, you did! Doesn't give a person much confidence in them, that they weren't telling the truth. Ouch, eh?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.