New Foster Refusing Food/water

Guest mnblewis1

Guest mnblewis1

Picked up new foster yesterday. She was surrendered by her previous family of 2 years. They had said that when they got her she was very shy but had come out of her shell and was very playful. I expected her to show some shyness, which she is. She stayed in her crate almost the entire day yesterday and all night. She does not want to be petted, so we are giving her plenty of space and time (pretty hard for my child, but she learned pretty quick). This morning she finally came out of her crate and tried playing with my daughter and her tail was wagging. She gave DH a kiss and ran off. She still doesn't want petted, but we will just wait for her to be ready. I am concerned though that she has refused food and water since getting here. It has now been 24 hours without food or water. I have never experienced this with a foster, they have all been pigs. Should I be worried?

Poor sweetheart. She's probably so confused. I wouldn't be too worried about the food (yet), but I would try to get her to drink. You can try putting a little low-sodium chicken broth (just make sure it's one that doesn't contain onions) in the water.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I wouldn't worry right now. If she goes another day without water you might try adding some chicken broth or something to get her to drink. A couple of days without food isn't as big a deal as not drinking.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sounds to me like she may need a little more time - she won't starve herself.

Assume her food / water is being offered in her crate and she has some privacy? You can even drape a sheet over her crate for more privacy - that could help. Try TV on, but no other hussle in the room. Again, though, she won't starve herself. Dogs make trips on haulers and spend almost that amount of time in the hauler without any attention (food / water / bathroom). I bet (and hope) she eats today!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest jbbuzby

I second the idea that you must, MUST be feeding her/giving her water in her crate. Gradually you can move it a few inches outside of the crate once she is eating until it is across the room, but it can takes a long time for dogs to feel comfortable enough to eat outside of their crates. I've had my female for months now, and while she's not spooky, she is very confused if I ever ask her to eat out in the open...she thinks it's not meant for her!

Guest mnblewis1

Well, I just sat down with a plate of food for lunch and she was right in my face. Previous owner said she loved food and loved people food. I am thinking maybe she was given lots of people food and now doesn't want dog food? That still wouldn't explain the not drinking though. She seems to be a little more comfortable here. She is laying in the living room with us now. She still keeps an eye on us though when we move around.

Just curious - are you feeding the same food that she was eating at the other house?

I'm wondering if that is also part of the issue - if it's a different food. Since she's not fresh off the track like many other fosters would be, she knows she can get away with being a little picky.

Good luck. Sounds lie she is coming out of her shell a little already.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

poor thing. getting her off people food will help her health I am sure.

maybe try and mix dry kibble with some scrambled egg, or white rice with peas.

not a lot, but just a tad to get her used to it.

hopefully she will start feeling better about her self and will accept everything that has happened to her and will begin to be the great greyhound she is designed to be!

hugs

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Couple of things -

One, I have found some of my boarders won't eat when the food isn't offered the way they're used to it. Dog I just sat last week woudn't eat her food out of the elevated feeder, but when I asked her to lay down on the floor and layed the bowl next to her, she gobbled it down immediately.

Could also be an issue if you're feeding a different kibble. I would find out what kibble they fed and how they fed her (also, was water added, anything else to entice her, etc.) and do what they did for a while then gradually transition her to whatever you'd like.

Finally, I would put water bowls throughout the house - one in her crate absolutely, but also one accessible in the living room and one wherever you typically keep it. Maybe put the one in the living room in a place where she can drink relatively unbothered (in an area away from where you're likely to be).

Are you sure she's not drinking when you're not home? I wouldn't worry as much about the hunger strike, but obviously she needs to drink water.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My Bella would never eat if anyone (dog or human) was watching her. She had to eat in her closet after we all went to bed. I used to joke that is she were a person she'd be a supermodel...also had a foster that stayed a long tome that insised on lying by the bowl in the kitchen floor.

You've recieved excellent advice above. Be sure and put water in her crate and another low traffic place where she won't be bothered. I might try soaking her kibble just a bit, then adding a couple of tablespoons of minced wet food (ask the pet store what the smelliest one is). Mix well and you gety a kibble slurry. Another thought might be to wet the kibble a bit and mix in some tuna -- not a lot maybe 1/3 of a can. Every dog I've ever had would stand on their head for tuna. I am not kidding that I have to lock myself in the bedroom to eat a tuna sandwich in semi-peace...there is whining and scraping at the door.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mnblewis1

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was just getting ready to wash out a couple of extra dishes to set around and take one outside with us but we have no water for some reason....argh! She is starting to want attention, so I hope the food and water come soon. I have emailed the previous owner for specifics on how she fed and watered and what exactly she fed so hopefully we can get her comfortable enough to eat. I am thinking about adopting her because I don't want to put her through this again. She is so sweet.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, especially in the first 2-3 days. A healthy dog will eventually eat and drink if food and water are available. I would definitely make sure water is available in the crate, especially if that's where she stays when you're not home. I would also recommend just putting down the food and water and give her time with it. No coaxing or encouraging. I find that making a big deal out of the whole issue will make the dog more stressed and less likely to eat or drink.

When I adopted my whippet, he was obese and had obviously been fed a lot of table food by his previous owner. He wouldn't eat for the first 3-4 days I had him. I just put his meal of dry dog food down twice a day, when the rest of my dogs ate. If he hadn't touched it by the time my dogs were done, it was taken away until the next meal. After a few days, he was eagerly eating his meals just like all my other dogs.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest ctgreylover

I have added water to kibble and warmed it in the microwave.

I have added plain broth to food.

I have added wet food in with dry kibble.

I have added broth to water.

You just have to keep trying different things.

Leave several small bits of food in different places. Make note of which she chose first or gobbled fastest and give her more of that mixture.

She lost her home and family and doesn't know why - and is missing them.

She will drink and eat when she is ready.

Poor baby. Give her some scritches from me when she is ready to handle them.

Maybe she is an ice cube lover. That won't get a lot of fluid in her but maybe she will realize that she'd like a drink.

If she was in your face when you were eating, it sure sounds like she is coming out of her shell. Thank you for giving her a safe place until she finds her forever home.

You also might try giving her some bottled water. My girls love bottled water and when we travel they get bottled so I don't have to worry about them not wanting to drink if the water smells different.

Also, my girls love it cold!

You also might try giving her some bottled water. My girls love bottled water and when we travel they get bottled so I don't have to worry about them not wanting to drink if the water smells different.

Excellent idea. Poodle the brat will stand at the water bowl and stare at me until I dump it and fill it with cold water from the fridge. He likes his water fresh and cold.:lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest meggera

The first two days of being home Vanille wouldn't drink but she did eat. Then suddenly she just decided to start. Be patient with her and keep an eye on her.

Excellent idea. Poodle the brat will stand at the water bowl and stare at me until I dump it and fill it with cold water from the fridge. He likes his water fresh and cold.:lol

That is exactly what I was thinking. Sammi does NOT like the smell of (and I am sure the taste of) heavily chlorinated city water. She would rather have straight up Pedialyte over some city water we have experienced.

And after almost 3 months of soft serve that we traced back to the water she was drinking when she first came home, I now travel with waterbor grab a bottle of water out of the cooler at gas stations. (Since I am sensitive to different city water when traveling, it was already normal for me to grab water for me when traveling, no big whoop to bring enough for her, too ;) )

Guest mnblewis1

She is doing great. She decided we were safe enough to eat around and now has a pretty good appetite. She is starting to play a little. I was a tad worried about her with my DD. She doesn't pay her much attention and lets her pet her, but she has given her a couple of warning barks when she got too close when she was sleeping. I think it is harder training my child:) we just watch them really close and DD is learning to stay away from the dog when she is laying down. I put the dog in another room if I can't be standing over them. I think they will do just fine when DD learns her boundaries.