This May Be A Dumb Question?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

So the weather up her warmed up a lot over the last few weeks but this past weekend dipped back down to normal new england weather. Both Gary and Diago have old race injuries(Diago Broken Hock and Gary appears to be a broken toe or something to that nature) and well Gary has had a little limp and DIago is favoring that leg again. Does this sound to be just from the cold weather? It didn't seem to happen until it got cold again.......

Edited by BlackandTan

It's possible. Changing weather does affect arthritis. However, I would not just assume it's nothing if it were my dog. If he's still limping in a few days, you might consider a non-emergency appointment. Just to do a quick x-ray to rule out anything more sinister. But that's just me. I'd rather pay for a set of films then wonder and worry.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlackandTan

It's possible. Changing weather does affect arthritis. However, I would not just assume it's nothing if it were my dog. If he's still limping in a few days, you might consider a non-emergency appointment. Just to do a quick x-ray to rule out anything more sinister. But that's just me. I'd rather pay for a set of films then wonder and worry.

Yah thats what I was planning....I figure its due to the weather but as you said I would rather be safe than sorry!

Flupascrackerbox raced most of his career on a well healed hock fracture. He also has a dropped muscle. My Artful Dodger has a dropped muscle. Almost 8 year old Pooter has a recurring front wrist issue. Nobody is limping. If he were mine he would be at the vet for films.

I'd do the exam and x-rays, and I'm hoping it's nothing bad.

But if it turns out to be just arthritis, you might want to keep a mental/written note of when it flairs up. That way, you can give pain treatment early, which works much better than waiting for it to get bad and then trying to control it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

You might also want to run a tick panel if rads don't show anything.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I would do an x-ray and establish a base line for any changes that might occur down the road.

I have one greyhound with a severe hockey stick hock I like to have checked out once a year.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

One of mine has a not-so-greatly healed hock fracture. I have gotten films a couple times when her limp persisted. She definitely is affected by changes in weather. However, getting the films done to confirm gave me peace of mind. I would also check their feet. I have had greys for 7 years and the two oldest developed corns within 4 months of each other. Those cause quite a limp, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The cold weather I find bothers Ryder's joints more than warmer weather does. He hurt his back leg a couple years ago (nothing broken, x-rays were clear) but I notice he limps now and again and more often than not when the weather is cooler.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sometimes the pins they use for hock repair need to come out - I've had that happen with a bounce foster. As everyone else said, worth an x-ray if the limp lingers.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Hopefully just the weather.....it did drop quickly.....but agree that if it keeps cropping up, you should get it checked....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

We were hoping it was just the cold and damp weather when our Faye Oops started liming last October. It wasn't. I'd pay for the x-rays and pray it's nothing.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)