Bones, What Are Your Thoughts On This Controversial Issue.

Guest Angelique

Guest Angelique

Just wanted to know what your thoughts were on bones for dogs to gnaw on. I know they all pose some sort of danger even the rawhides, but what do you guys do?

A few months ago my vet told me my boy would need to be put under for a thorough teeth cleaning unless we could figure out something to do about his plaque since it was getting really bad and beginning to damage his gums. I had bought a water additive a few years ago to "reduce" plaque buildup but i never saw any results and discontinued. Next came the toothbrush phase which possibly works if you are constant, but we weren't so that was discarded. So after reading tons of literature on the cons of feeding raw bones I decided to try with a cow femur. Long story short, he's been at it for 2 weeks and is only about halfway done with the bone and his teeth have 80% less plaque. Cassy is not an aggressive chewer and he only chews on it a few hours every few days, but the difference is amazing.

What have your experiences been? Do you have any recommendations for keeping the pearly whites, white?

Guest mainegrey

We often give our dog marrow bones, they keep him busy - that makes us happy. I try to buy very big ones,not those that are already pre-cut. After he is done with the marrow, I use them instead of the kong and stuff them with peanut butter. I cannot say the bones do magic as far as the teeth. The only thing that really works is brushing them. I also noticed that using CET toothpaste is much more beneficial. I switched to petrodex for 2 month,, and I can already see some yellow appearing on his canines.

I feed mine raw turkey necks ( not the smoked ones) as a meal or treat depending on the size of the neck, once or twice a week, t they occasionally get raw chicken quarters or chicken backs. Works really well as I have one that really builds up plaque quickly

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest sheila

I have been giving my dogs raw bones for years w/o issue. My hounds teeth get a thumbs up at every check up and I don't brush teeth. I adopted a hound that had somewhat icky teeth and my vet thought after she settled in she might need a dental. After 6 mos of chewing on raw bones the vet declared her teeth healthy and no need of cleaning. I'm a believer in the power of raw bones.

Guest Angelique

Thanks for your comments all. I feel better about giving my boy bones :) I bought one of these http://www.brielledogboutique.com/s/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/red-barn-naturals-filled-bone.jpg a few months back and he ate through about 2" of the 6" until he had eaten all the filling. Now he could care less about it, but with the bone he has now, (a real huge cow bone) he just keeps chewing and chewing and chewing.

Has anyone had any problems with bone splinters in organs or broken teeth?

Guest mariah

Some people don't like non-edible bones like cow femurs because of the risk of slab fractures. If he's not an aggressive chewer as you mentioned, and just tries to get the marrow out, this might not be an issue. But I think something like a turkey neck that can be chewed up and eaten is better for cleaning teeth, because it'll get all of them and not just the incisors and canines. Beef marrow bones are also very high in calories, so you can't really give them as often.

Edited by mariah

Guest sheila

Thanks for your comments all. I feel better about giving my boy bones :) I bought one of these http://www.brielledo...filled-bone.jpg a few months back and he ate through about 2" of the 6" until he had eaten all the filling. Now he could care less about it, but with the bone he has now, (a real huge cow bone) he just keeps chewing and chewing and chewing.

Has anyone had any problems with bone splinters in organs or broken teeth?

I haven't had it happen here, but that doesn't mean it will never happen. It can also be said that dogs will run through the yard and somehow hurt themselves. So should I never let my dogs run again? Sometimes we get approached by unleashed dogs. Should I never take my dogs on a walk again?

Treat your dogs like dogs and they will love you for it. If something goes 'oops' then treat as such and your dogs will still love you. Keep in mind that they are dogs and they like being dogs and if you treat them like people it will just confuse them.

Ok -- going to go against the grain here- the op should be aware of the dangers of giving bones. Sure dogs love them and I'm all about letting dogs being dogs and all that but, I see the dangers of giving bones all the time. Can't begin to tell you how many carnassial teeth I have extracted due to slab fractures caused by-- yes, feeding bones. So, do bones help scale teeth- sure but, they can also cause damage. The op must take that into consideration when feeding them. They are not without risk. You must weight out risk vs benefit for them.

Our dogs get some kind of bone every meal but we don't provide weight bearing bones from any large animal (cow,pig, etc). They eat chicken backs, wings, feet, necks, and small drumsticks. Turkey necks, wingtips, duck neck and feet are the other types. All of these are available at local grocery stores but we can buy the chicken backs in bulk from a butcher.

We, as well, have seen the benefits of raw bone chewing but prefer to stick to ones they chew and swallow.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

For my boy, the risk of anesthesia (bad time when he had his first and only dental) seems to me much higher than any risk of a broken tooth. He gets a marrow bone every Saturday and Sunday, and the vet is amazed at his teeth.

I think, however, I just got one of the dogs who has naturally good gums and teeth. If you have one of the dogs with a bad mouth, I don't think any amount of brushing and bones will replace the need for regular cleanings.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

For my boy, the risk of anesthesia (bad time when he had his first and only dental) seems to me much higher than any risk of a broken tooth. He gets a marrow bone every Saturday and Sunday, and the vet is amazed at his teeth.

I think, however, I just got one of the dogs who has naturally good gums and teeth. If you have one of the dogs with a bad mouth, I don't think any amount of brushing and bones will replace the need for regular cleanings.

Keep in mind that your dog will need anesthesia if he does fracture a tooth. Just saying :-)

Gotta agree with ya on -- regular brushing may not reduce or eliminate the need for a dentistry for some hounds.

Guest mariah

Where do you get the turkey necks?

Where would be a good place to get turkey necks?

I've had no trouble finding them at our local grocery stores. The Whole Foods stores around here often have them. I've heard also that some people get them at Walmart. Many of the independent pet supply stores carry them as well.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If your dog hasn't ever had a turkey neck or leg quarter before, start small and introduce slowly... it can upset their tummies if they aren't used to it.

Ok -- going to go against the grain here- the op should be aware of the dangers of giving bones. Sure dogs love them and I'm all about letting dogs being dogs and all that but, I see the dangers of giving bones all the time. Can't begin to tell you how many carnassial teeth I have extracted due to slab fractures caused by-- yes, feeding bones. So, do bones help scale teeth- sure but, they can also cause damage. The op must take that into consideration when feeding them. They are not without risk. You must weight out risk vs benefit for them.

I'm on the side that just doesn't give bones. I try and clean my dogs teeth every few days so they won't need as many dentals. My dogs seem to do just fine without bones.

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack gets a beef knuckle bone every month or so, and has a cotton rope chew toy, and between those two things his teeth are in great shape. All my previous dogs loved bones, which they got as a treat, combined with textured chew toys.

3 of my 6 eat a totally raw diet of duck, chicken and beef. Raw. Bones and all. We are 100% for it. My raw eaters teeth are so white and clean, they shine! They have no bad breath at all. There is absoluteley so smell to their breath.My other 3 don't for various reasons. I wish they would. Rawhide is a no no in this house.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I have fed raw for 10 years to 4 different dogs. I obviously haven't calculated it, but it would work out to over 30,000 rmb's and I have never even had a hint of a problem. These are meaty bones, not weight bearing bones, but I haven't had any trouble with either.

Edited by RedHead

I believe the OP was referring to feeding bones to scale teeth- perhaps I'm wrong but, I assumed the topic was referring to bones such as knuckle or marrow bones aka weight bearing bones. I dont beleive this was a raw vs other fed thread????

I used to give raw marrow bones to my first dog who loved them, but he did get a slab fracture form one and needed a dental anyway. I brush with Petzlife gel and have had good results. Also, if I do give a rawhide I only give for about 10 minutes & monitor the whole time. I bought deer antlers, but the dogs seem t lose interest in them pretty quickly and they're very expensive.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com