Ack! The Peeing!

I'm going to just mention George's solution--

Long, long story is that he peed in the house for the first year--not every day, no particular pattern, so he started wearing a belly band, and we dealt with it.

We got the problem TOTALLY stopped for 2 years. I mistakenly thought it was a very long course of Baytril that "cured him." Last summer, he started up again, and this time the antibiotics didn't stop it.

When he needed a refill on his Deramaxx, it FINALLY hit me; he stopped peeing when he went on Deramaxx, 50 mg. once a day. He STARTED peeing in the house again when his does was lowered by his new, well intended vet to 35 mg. per day. The day we put him back on 50 mg was the last accident he's had. It's been about 7 or 8 months now.

It makes no sense. We tested for everything over and over. We did the ultrasound. Found NOTHING. But you can't argue with the result!

My unscientific theory is that whatever causes him pain causes him to pee and the 35 mg wasn't quite enough to deal with it, but the 50 mg is.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss something in this thread that no one has looked at Pronin or DES for an 11 year female with pee problems? :blush If I did a apologize. Did wonders here after other causes were ruled out, both in peeing in sleep and peeing in certain spots.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

E. coli is a pathogen in the urinary tract so yes, that would be a UTI. It sounds like the lab didn't do a sensitivity since E. coli is susceptible to many antibiotics. But, it's possible this particular E. coli isn't sensitive to cephalexin. Trying another antibiotic is a good idea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sorenkkg

We went to the vet last night. They took a urine sample and did a full blood workup. Originally the urine didn't show anything, but they concentrated it and started a culture at the office and it came back with growth today. So the next step is to send it off to the lab to find out exactly what it is so that we know what to do about it.

In our case there was no protein in the urine, she is concentrating it well, and he saw no signs of kidney issues.

So, we are one step (and many $ :lol ) closer to our answer!!

Yes-- top of page 3-- seems Tori was tested and no protein.

re: george. Maybe the Dermaxx (pain killer with antiinflammatory, yes?) keeps some inflammation down and George is able to control his bladder better. Maybe his prostate or bladder itself is inflammed for some reason? I"M TOTALLY GUESSING AT ALL THIS :rolleyes:

re: Aleeya-- want to hear something weird? She peed again about 5 days or a week ago. I gave up and told DH to get the puppy pads on his way home.

We've put 1 down-- both dogs smelled it... and that was it. No pee in about 5 days.

and they;'re trying to use it like they used their old small carpet that was in that spot-- walk on it as they come in from the backyard, lie in the sun, treat mat... it's kinda weird :blink:

but as long as I see the little foot prints on the pad, I know no one peed on it.