Ack! The Peeing!

Tori is twelve years old and we've had her for over six years. It's never taken much for her to pee inside periodically. Over the past few months, however, it's gotten to the point that it's just about every day. Ugh!

We tested her for a UTI and it came up negative, but the vet treated her with 10 days of Cephalexin, just in case, as that has worked in the past. We're finished with the antibiotics with no change.

When we're home she shows no signs of infection and will hold it all day or night with no issues. When we're not home, however, she will sometimes pee. She also will pee if we are home but are unavailable to her (like if DH goes to work out before I get home or if I take a bath while he's in another bathroom in the house) even if she just went out 5 minutes before. I know when she gets excited she sometimes pees, so we've tried to reduce any outside stimulation by keeping the blinds closed.

She always goes in the same spot. I'm sure it smells but we've done everything we can think of to get rid of any residual odor - steam cleaning multiple times and every enzyme cleaner you can think of (Nature's Miracle, Planet Urine, Anti-Icky Poo just to name a few).

We're at our wits end here. What's our next step? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloodwork, blood pressure check, ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys, diet change (lower salt). Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Someone once suggested putting something large over the area, so she can't pee on it (when my Bella was peeing on a rug and I posted about it)...however, she just pee'd beside it :blush We ended up throwing the run out...and the peeing stopped.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Someone once suggested putting something large over the area, so she can't pee on it (when my Bella was peeing on a rug and I posted about it)...however, she just pee'd beside it :blush We ended up throwing the run out...and the peeing stopped.

We're doing that and it's the only thing that is keeping us sane at this point. We bought 3 washable rugs and keep two over the area. Every time she pees on one we throw it in the wash and replace it with a clean one. I'm washing a rug just about every day :o

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Could she be getting stressed when you aren't there (or not available) Not really SA, but I have noticed they become more dependent as they get older. In the meantime, until you find the cause, I would put a washable pee pad in her "spot". If she always goes in the same spot, at least it will be easier to clean up :)

Guest BrianRke

I know what you are going through. Diamond does the same thing and its always when Im gone or when I am not paying attention to her. She does not have a UTI, all her levels are great, ultrasound showed everything to be perfectly normal.

There is one rug in the foyer/hallway that she pees on atleast every other day and its always in the same spot on the rug. I did have a wool rug there and I threw it out and replaced it with a synthetic one, thinking this may solve the problem. She went for about 3 weeks and did not pee on the new rug then it was back to the same old thing. The good thing is, now with the synthetic rug, it actually comes clean when I clean it, whereas the wool rug never did.

I have no explaination why she does this. Usually it is a very small amount. I went so far as to contact an animal communicator that several people in my group use. She told me Diamond pees to assert herself when she feels she has been "dissed". :dunno

Good luck to you! If you can slove this, PLEASE let me know how :)

We lay these incontinence pads in their pp spots. They are washable. On rainy days just lay a few in front of the door for wet feet.

Sometimes the old kids just can't hold it. Just like humans. These are the ones we purchase.

Size : 34" x 52" Capacity : Absorbs 1600 cc

34" x 52"

Capacity Absorbs 1600cc

Model Number: ISG13452

HCPCS: X-NO CODE

Your Price (Each): $9.35

https://www.jrsmedical.com/ISG12434/product.aspx

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Could she be getting stressed when you aren't there (or not available) Not really SA, but I have noticed they become more dependent as they get older. In the meantime, until you find the cause, I would put a washable pee pad in her "spot". If she always goes in the same spot, at least it will be easier to clean up :)

This is what I was going to suggest. As our seniors turn into, well, seniors, they often seem to grow more dependent on us just being "there" for them. If Tori can't see you or sense your presence, she may be starting to fret and inappropriate peeing may be her way of letting you know that. For those times when you absolutely have to be away from her, try leaving a sweatshirt or some other article of your clothing with her, hopefully that will comfort her. Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Can't you get those diaper type things for dogs that mark? They aren't actually diapers, just sort of a wrap around thing. I am not positive because I have never used them, but I am sure I have heard people talking about them :huh

We lay these incontinence pads in their pp spots. They are washable. On rainy days just lay a few in front of the door for wet feet.

Sometimes the old kids just can't hold it. Just like humans. These are the ones we purchase.

Size : 34" x 52" Capacity : Absorbs 1600 cc

34" x 52"

Capacity Absorbs 1600cc

Model Number: ISG13452

HCPCS: X-NO CODE

Your Price (Each): $9.35

https://www.jrsmedical.com/ISG12434/product.aspx

For a senior dog, this would be my suggestion, too.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I use this pad: EZ Whelp I didn't want Harold to have to wear a belly band all the time so I lay this pad over the dog beds. I sewed some elastic bands on it to keep it in place when the dogs try to dig.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would consider testing for Cushings.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I third having her kidneys checked. My senior girl started peeing in the house more frequently and it turned out it was the start of kidney failure.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Thanks everyone. I'm making an appointment with the vet this morning. Honestly, at her age, I'm hoping it's behavioral and just something we'll have to live with (as much as it drives us crazy :P ) rather than a health problem.

Checking the urine for kidney issues is a good idea --

As strange as it might sound, try cutting back on the protein in the diet just a little bit or changing to a better protein. As a dog ages it might actually take more water to filter/process the same amount of protein in the kidneys and as a result - more need to pee and since the dog is older, less able to hold it.

Guest HyperJ83

I don't have anything useful to add, but I just want to,say that I find this thread very informative and will keep this in mind for the future. Good luck cool.gif

Grateful to see this thread as I have a similar issue with my 9 year old whippet foster. I think she has anxiety but we're in the process of a vet workup just the same. She does great if I'm here although she never asks to go out, it's while I'm at work that she'll pee anywhere from two to four times on the carpet and ALWAYS in a different spot. I left pads in the tiled kitchen, showed them to her, watched her sniff them, she didn't use them. u/a done Saturday was surprisingly negative and appointment with the vet will be Thursday/Friday or Saturday (have to call tomorrow). Started 1mg of Melatonin every morning on Saturday after the call came about the negative u/a.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest sorenkkg

Tori is twelve years old and we've had her for over six years. It's never taken much for her to pee inside periodically. Over the past few months, however, it's gotten to the point that it's just about every day. Ugh!

We're at our wits end here. What's our next step? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I was JUST about to post about the EXACT same thing! Aleeya is 12 tomorrow, and she's had 2 litters. She's been with us for 6 years now.

She's had 3 accidents in 2 weeks... I thought the first 2 were because I went on a business trip for a week-- one was the night before I left, and then one was the night I came home. But the she peed last night, and I don't have an explanation for that.

Luckily, she's peeing in the kitchen-- on a washable (or replaceable) rug. We've removed the rug, but she still peed in that spot.

So I'll call the vet tomorrow-- and now I have a better idea what to check for-- UTI, bloodwork, kidneys, and I'm going to add prolapsed bladder (do dogs get that? I think people do right?) b/c of her 2 litters... Is there medication they can take for incontinence? I think there's something now for humans, I'm sure they must be able to give the same thing to dogs?

Or do we just put down a puppy pad every night, just in case? :( My poor girlie, she's so unhappy about doing this, I just know it.

Thanks folks!

Soren

Guest capers7

I too am following this thread closely. Though my boy is not old nor is he peeing regularly. He does seem to pee in protest, and it is usually a huge lake, even if he had been out recently (bladder the size of Lake Erie). Crateing and muzzling just made it worse. He has not done it in a while and I am still clueless why he was doing it and what made him stop. Greys are definitely not like other dogs.

Guest greytkidsmom

Add Tiel to the club. We have taken to calling her "Princess Thimble Bladder." Her vet workup was pretty unremarkable - one or two bacteria in her first urine specimen. She completed a course of antibiotics and has had two negative UAs since. We got some puppy pee pads on sale at PetCo to leave out for her.

Guest sorenkkg

So... it's ok for the dog to pee in the house? As long as they do it on the pad?

Sorry if that question sounds weird, but these are my first dogs, and I've not been in this position (seniors, bladder issues) before, so I'm trying to figure out what my expectation should be.

that said, off to the vet now for the first consult. Will report back. Thanks for the support folks! :)

Soren

Oh gosh. My senior boys just had an "indoor pee party" yesterday. I so feel everyone's pain. Sigh.

My 11 yr old is a "permanent marker" (ha ha!); and yesterday, my 13+ yr old peed in the house when I took the 11 yr old to the vet. The older boy just had his wellness exam, bloodwork, UA, etc., so in his case I'm sure it's behavioral. He is quite a velcro dog and probably felt abandoned being left all alone in the house. (Holly died in December so I only have two hounds at this time and neither does particularly well alone.)

One suggestion I have for those whose puppers tend to pee in the same area: while my current boys pee at random, my angel Indy used to pee in the living room but always in the same area. I spread a durable vinyl tablecloth (the kind with the felt-like backing) over the carpet the covered the tablecloth with pee pads. That way I only had to dispose of the pee pads and wipe down the tablecloth with enzymatic cleaner. The tablecloth protected the carpet. Worked out nicely. (Explaining the arrangement when company came over? Well, what can you say?!!)

Good luck!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest greytkidsmom

So... it's ok for the dog to pee in the house? As long as they do it on the pad?

In my opinion, no, its not okay for the dog to pee in the house and I don't encourage it but I can't be home 24/7 to let her out and I can't afford to replace my rug every few months. Pads seem to be the best option. On workdays, a neighbor comes to let them out around lunchtime and we limit the amount of water we leave out. If I'm home there is an unlimited supply of water and she is very good about asking me to let her out (which is sometimes every hour). In our case, we do our best to make it so she doesn't have to pee in the house but need a contingency plan that is compatible with reality. We are also anticipating her growing older with us and want to have a system in place that will account for a time that she can't hold it long enough to ask to go out.

edited because I never think I say it right the first time...

Edited by greytkidsmom