Ack! The Peeing!

So... it's ok for the dog to pee in the house? As long as they do it on the pad?

In my opinion, no, its not okay for the dog to pee in the house and I don't encourage it but I can't be home 24/7 to let her out and I can't afford to replace my rug every few months. Pads seem to be the best option. On workdays, a neighbor comes to let them out around lunchtime and we limit the amount of water we leave out. If I'm home there is an unlimited supply of water and she is very good about asking me to let her out (which is sometimes every hour). In our case, we do our best to make it so she doesn't have to pee in the house but need a contingency plan that is compatible with reality. We are also anticipating her growing older with us and want to have a system in place that will account for a time that she can't hold it long enough to ask to go out.

edited because I never think I say it right the first time...

I agree 100%. I never thought I would let a dog pee in the house. That being said, I still don't "let" her but she does anyway so what can I do? I'm trying to make the best of a less-than-ideal situation. Our first grey never went in the house. Our third grey only did a couple of times, but that was as an old dog and she just couldn't hold it. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of Tori's issue, but in the meantime, the less stressful her accidents are for all of us, the better.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sorenkkg

Ok, thanks for the info folks. I totally get where everyone's coming from, and I feel the same way-- not what I want to have happen, but what can we do? since it's not a training issue...

That said: back from the vet. She actually checked both Haka (boy) and Aleeya (girl) and wants samples from both of them. No infection that she can visually detect. Aleeya made a noise when she was being palpated, but she basically got lifted up by her mid-section, and was suitably annoyed :angry: so I think that's all it was.

Anyway, lots of discussion, but until the blood and urine come back (and OMG, I have to get urine samples from 2 dogs... jeesh) we are just speculating. But she doesn't think it's UTI or incontinence, b/c she's not peeing a lot, everywhere; and she's not leaking on her beds.

And also, maybe it's him, not her. So we'll know more in the next days.

:) Soren

Guest BrianRke

Ok, thanks for the info folks. I totally get where everyone's coming from, and I feel the same way-- not what I want to have happen, but what can we do? since it's not a training issue...

That said: back from the vet. She actually checked both Haka (boy) and Aleeya (girl) and wants samples from both of them. No infection that she can visually detect. Aleeya made a noise when she was being palpated, but she basically got lifted up by her mid-section, and was suitably annoyed :angry: so I think that's all it was.

Anyway, lots of discussion, but until the blood and urine come back (and OMG, I have to get urine samples from 2 dogs... jeesh) we are just speculating. But she doesn't think it's UTI or incontinence, b/c she's not peeing a lot, everywhere; and she's not leaking on her beds.

And also, maybe it's him, not her. So we'll know more in the next days.

:) Soren

Its pretty easy to tell the difference between a male dog's urine spot and a female dog's urine spot(atleast in my house). When a male squats and urinates, the spot is usually more elongated whereas when a female urinates, the spot is more round and contained. This is usually the case unless you have a female who walks when she urinates.

We lay these incontinence pads in their pp spots. They are washable. On rainy days just lay a few in front of the door for wet feet.

Sometimes the old kids just can't hold it. Just like humans. These are the ones we purchase.

Size : 34" x 52" Capacity : Absorbs 1600 cc

34" x 52"

Capacity Absorbs 1600cc

Model Number: ISG13452

HCPCS: X-NO CODE

Your Price (Each): $9.35

https://www.jrsmedical.com/ISG12434/product.aspx

I know what I'm ordering today!

Two of our grey girls are over age 10 y/o. Both are on Proin for urinary incontenance. It helps with the leaking, but they still can't hold their pee as long as when they were younger. We've been coming home to pee on the carpet almost daily now. Our dogs do not soil the carpet when we're home, but we can't be home 24/7. We're not upset with them since we know the peeing is not intentional. We just spent $700 to have our carpets deoderized and cleaned. We tried pee pads, but I think they're just to small for our dogs - even in the largest size. I hope these pads will be better.

Getting old sucks. :gramps

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest sorenkkg

Its pretty easy to tell the difference between a male dog's urine spot and a female dog's urine spot(atleast in my house). When a male squats and urinates, the spot is usually more elongated whereas when a female urinates, the spot is more round and contained. This is usually the case unless you have a female who walks when she urinates.

Totally makes sense! I'm not the one seeing the puddles though, b/c DH gets up earlier than me (by hours) and walks them, so he's the one seeing it. We were pretty sure it's her though.

Which brings me to-- blood and urine results. Blood on both is fine! :)

Kidney function, enzymes, fine.

Haka 's urine had some calcium something in it, but just a bit, and she said if the sample sat for any period of time, that could happen (I brought it in super fresh, but whatever). So we're pretty sure it's not hime

Aleeya's urine was "well concentrated" BUT it had some blood and proteins in it, though no detectable microbes... So based on that, she's been put on a week of antibiotics. After a week of that, and then 3-5 days, we'll test first morning urine and take it from there.

No dog has peed in the house in 2 nights though, which is a good thing.:rolleyes:

S.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sorenkkg

Update.

We did a week of antibiotics for Aleeya, since she had protein and blood in her urine. Tested again on Saturday, results just came in. :(

No blood, but still protein.

So we're going today to do a urine draw right from her body :unsure and they'll culture it, as well as determine creatine levels, and get a better read on the kidneys than the bloodwork provides (apparently).

She didn't pee in the house for a week, but did last night. Maybe she's psychic?

sigh.

Guest Jacks_Human

Add me to the 'get a kidney check and a BP check' vote. As a human who's experienced kidney-related issues, the 'using the toilet and needing to go five seconds later' sounds quite familiar.

The other explanation is that her bladder muscles have relaxed a bit with age, and she just can't 'hold it' as effectively.

Guest sorenkkg

Question about pee pads--

the one's I've seen, say they have an "attractant" in them... to help train puppies to go in the right spot...

Should I keep looking for ones without an attractant? She goes in the same spot anyway-- on the linoleum in the kitchen right in front of the sliding door (poor thing-- she knows she wants to go out, but can't or won't hold it till DH can walk her early in the morning...)

While we're waiting for the kidney protein and urine cultures-- DH says he doesn't want to keep mopping the floor each morning before work.

So-- pee pads-- will attractant make her pee even when she doesn't have to? What about Haka, will he want to pee on it too?

(will also post as separate question). Thanks!!

Soren

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest jtanevismom06

I am so glad this was posted! I am having a similar problem with my 11 year old male grey. In the past he has usually only peed in one spot upstairs in an unused room but last week he has peed twice in our front hallway once when I was right there and once when my husband was right there. And another time in the doorway to our kitchen when I was right there in the living room. It is a concern b/c it's so our of character for him. He also for the last several months has not come up to bed with us maybe 2 out of 7 nights which again, is so unusual. My husband started giving him chewable tablets to see if it was b/c he was feeling achy but we didn't see a big difference and he also stopped eating them.I think I will follow up with his vet and have them run a few of the tests mentioned in this post but if anyone has any other suggestions either for the peeing or the staying downstairs they would be greatly appreciated. BTW, we have used pee pads and he just pees next to them. They have never worked.

Guest sorenkkg

Lauren-- our boy Haka used to come up every night and sleep on the landing (Aleeya sleeps on her bed in our room, and of course, they could never both sleep on beds in our room! :rolleyes: )

Anyway-- he'll come upstairs if I call him, but I decided that if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to. He sleeps right at the bottom (like, you have to step over him to get off the stairs).

My vet says greys who ran are likely to get arthritis-- we manage it with a supplement called Sasha's Blend-- basically glucosamine/chondritin derived from ocean mussels. If it gets worse, we'll do something else, but for now, this is where we're at.

We did also test Haka for the pee situation, since we weren't 100% sure who was doing it-- his blood and urinalisis came back negative (though something about some calcium).

My advice (from very limited experience) is to talk to your vet-- it could be age, it could be something else. There are "belly bands" for boy dogs, that I've heard of, you might want to search the forum for that (or bad boy bands?) as well as google.

Best of luck!

Soren

Since this post came back up thought I'd give a quick update. We are still up and down with Tori. She'll go a few days without peeing in the house, then will again for a few days in a row. A couple of weeks ago she even peed in the living room while DH was in the same room and I was in the kitchen right next to where she peed. She had gone out 30 minutes before (right before dinner) then again after dinner. So weird.

Her urine culture after meds came up negative (which I expected) and we have an appointment with the vet on Thursday to see what else is going on. We'll see what happens next.

Meandmy-no advice but wanting to send hugs and scritches to Miss Tori. You know she has a special place in our hearts. Hope you get good news on your girl.

:kiss2

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest sorenkkg

Since this post came back up thought I'd give a quick update. We are still up and down with Tori. She'll go a few days without peeing in the house, then will again for a few days in a row. A couple of weeks ago she even peed in the living room while DH was in the same room and I was in the kitchen right next to where she peed. She had gone out 30 minutes before (right before dinner) then again after dinner. So weird.

Her urine culture after meds came up negative (which I expected) and we have an appointment with the vet on Thursday to see what else is going on. We'll see what happens next.

We're in the same boat-- no UTI, but they're doing a different test to double check. On our end, they're worried about the protein in the urine. Have you had any results like that?

But we're also doing the-- is there going to be pee or not-- dance. She doesn't do it every time (seems to be an early-morning thing).

I'm hoping that if all the tests come back negative, maybe it's just going to involve a change in schedule or something.

Hope your vet appt goes well on Thursday! ;)

Soren

Guest 2dogs4cats

If there is no infection, protein in the urine could mean early kidney disease. Does her diet vary at all or does she get fed the same thing every day? Wonder if a diet lower in protein may help. A special diet along with supplements and my Ella wasn't peeing in the house anymore. Kidney disease is very common in older dogs. You can't cure it, but you can slow the progression. Ella had it and passed away 2 months shy of her 15th birthday and she didn't pass from kidney failure.

Hope your baby gets better and good luck.

Guest sorenkkg

If there is no infection, protein in the urine could mean early kidney disease. Does her diet vary at all or does she get fed the same thing every day? Wonder if a diet lower in protein may help. A special diet along with supplements and my Ella wasn't peeing in the house anymore. Kidney disease is very common in older dogs. You can't cure it, but you can slow the progression. Ella had it and passed away 2 months shy of her 15th birthday and she didn't pass from kidney failure.

Hope your baby gets better and good luck.

Yes, I think that is what they are looking for now. They said if the culture turned up, it would be in 2-3 days... that deadline passed yesterday, by my math. So then they'd look at the protein aspect. She's finicky about food, but if we have to change, we will.

She's getting a mix of kibble softened with water, and canned-- both the (former) Eagle Pack brand-- I guess the vet will recommend their MediCal brand or something... sigh.

I'll post as soon as I hear-- and she's not peed in the house for 2 or 3 nights now. No idea why she does on some nights and not on others, given that the food is the same every day.

Thanks for the support-- it's good to know that this is likely a manageable situation!

S.

We went to the vet last night. They took a urine sample and did a full blood workup. Originally the urine didn't show anything, but they concentrated it and started a culture at the office and it came back with growth today. So the next step is to send it off to the lab to find out exactly what it is so that we know what to do about it.

In our case there was no protein in the urine, she is concentrating it well, and he saw no signs of kidney issues.

So, we are one step (and many $ :lol ) closer to our answer!!

Guest sorenkkg

That's good news for Tori! If you can find it, you can treat it!

I hear you on the $ :P

We heard from the vet today too actually! Good news-- the creatine test does not show significant amounts of protein to be considered kidney disease. Her previous tests also showed good concentration, and bloodwork had shown good kidney enzymes.

So, they're stumped about why she'd be peeing in the house-- it also doesn't happen every night-- we've been good for 4 or 5 nights now.

They suggested, maybe, on the outside possibility-- interstitial cystitis (bladder inflammation)-- it would account for the blood and some protein, without any infection.

In any event-- we've already given her the 1 week of antibiotic, and if she's not peeing, and there's no protein issues-- we're just going to re-check in July.

I might even buy a new floor mat for the kitchen if she continues to not pee... had to throw the last one out, but she's sad, b/c that is her treat mat! :rolleyes:

Good luck with Tori, and all the other folks with greyhounds who are peeing in the house for mysterious reasons...

Soren

Guest sorenkkg

LOL.. she pees on her treat mat ? She wants better treats ?

:lol:rolleyes:

it's also the rug in front of the sliding door to the backyard-- so it's a double duty mat... where she takes her treats, where she lies in the sun... and where she knows to go to ask to be let out.

Problem is-- if you ask at 4am, no ones around to open the door! :blink:

So I got an email from the vet last night (apparently he had a long day as the email is from about 9:30pm!). It said that the culture grew Ecoli bacteria. According to him that is sensitive to all antibiotics (and she already did 10 days of cephalexin) so he's wondering if that is really the issue we're dealing with or not.

He's going to call me sometime today to discuss this further.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Meandmy

Treatment may need to be longer than 10 days, especially if she's had the problem for a while. Glad to hear it's not her kidneys. Or bad behavior. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest HopeSLP

I just wanted to share a similar problem a had with my grey Pete.

He also began peeing in my house (same spot all the time) only when I am not home. I took him to the vet 2-3 times to investigate, and everything came back negative.

I tried so many things, but the peeing continued. My vet stated that it may be behavioral and suggested crating. Initially, I was against it because I felt guilty. But after cleaning up urine everyday for several months after work, I caved and bought a crate.

Pete and I worked on crate training for several weeks before I left him in it all day while I went to work. Good news is he has not peed in it at all. I walk him or run in the yard with before and after. The good thing is that he actually loves that crate. I call it his house and he lays in it quite often. I'm happy with crating and hope that we can wean him off of it when I leave, but for now I will use it because we are both much happier without the accidents.

Talked to the vet late last week. He's still fairly convinced that Tori's peeing is behavioral, but put her on a round of ciprofloxacin anyway (due to the ecoli in her culture). The first med she was on was cephalexin. It's too early to tell since we were home all weekend to let her out, but fingers crossed that this does the trick!