Sealed Concrete Or Sand

Guest jnovak4

Guest jnovak4

I thought I would get on and ask the experts. We have both 10 year old puppies in a designated area with grass. Our part of town is clay and when they pee it sits on top rather drain into the ground. In the summer our neighbor is complaining of the smell.

We are now trying to decide between sealed concrete or sand. My question is what would be the better choice to keep the smell down? If it is sand how do you clean and disinfect it? They only go to this area to do their business an not for playtime. Thanks for your help.

Guest jnovak4

I call them puppies but they are senior greyhounds (10 years old). Yes but if the concrete is sealed it won't sink in and can be easily hosed off. We tried have tried the lime and it didn't work so we are looking for other options other than grass. Thanks for your reply.

If you have it on sealed concrete and you hose it off... is it not just going to go onto the grass and sit there again? When it's warm, there are products (I used to get mine from an industrial cleaning supply company) which will get an enzyme/bacteria thing going which greatly reduces the smell. Or you can scrub it with something like Mr. Clean and hot water every couple of days.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I take it this is a smallish dog run type place you put them to urinate?

I can't imagine anything other than grass or sand that ISN'T going to smell unless you clean it like a kennel is cleaned--daily, with LOTS of water.

Has something changed to make your neighbor complain NOW? New neighbor? Extra pee??

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jnovak4

I take it this is a smallish dog run type place you put them to urinate?

I can't imagine anything other than grass or sand that ISN'T going to smell unless you clean it like a kennel is cleaned--daily, with LOTS of water.

Has something changed to make your neighbor complain NOW? New neighbor? Extra pee??

Same neighbor, same small area. We have tryed everything to accomodate him, enzymes, ripping out the grass and putting in new (which they have torn apart again) which is why we were thinking sand or concrete, my question is how do you keep the smell down on sand? Do you wash it with bleach or something. I hose down every day sometimes twice a day when it starts warming up.

Bridles can confirm, but I'm pretty sure they use lime on the sand in the racing turnout pens.

Here is something from a horse site that might interest you...

Better to use the sand in your arena. It drains well, especially if you layer it with clay underneath.

You already have the clay underneath.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I say plant some really fragrant flowers & flowering bushes along the fence and leave it at that...

Chad

Guest WhenIGiveIn

If they smell of urine is that strong with you hosing down twice a day I would look at the dogs. I know you said they are 10 are they drinking enough water?

Well, I am not sure I would do too much, however, if you want / need to remain neighborly, then dig out some of the clay - say a good 12 inches deep (at least) then backfill with 3/4 inch granular for the first 4 inches or so, then sand for the rest.. Will be hard work, though.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest BrianRke

What happens when it rains? Does the water just sit there?

Can you smell the pee or is your neighbor just being a PITA?

That's just what I was thinking. I answered you on the GAA board.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My friend has sand in her dog potty pen. She has three adult labs. The smell can get pretty bad when the wind blows the pee smell on to the deck next to the pen. I think she just rakes the pen every few days so the wet spots get turned over and dry out. Sometimes there is almost no smell.

Guest jnovak4

Bridles can confirm, but I'm pretty sure they use lime on the sand in the racing turnout pens.

Here is something from a horse site that might interest you...

Better to use the sand in your arena. It drains well, especially if you layer it with clay underneath.

You already have the clay underneath.

I think I'm leaning towards the sand, even though it will be messy inside

I say plant some really fragrant flowers & flowering bushes along the fence and leave it at that...

Chad

Thanks, I'll have to do some research on fragrant bushes and plant them near the property line

If they smell of urine is that strong with you hosing down twice a day I would look at the dogs. I know you said they are 10 are they drinking enough water?

I hose it down to keep the smell to a minimum in the summer on hot days

Well, I am not sure I would do too much, however, if you want / need to remain neighborly, then dig out some of the clay - say a good 12 inches deep (at least) then backfill with 3/4 inch granular for the first 4 inches or so, then sand for the rest.. Will be hard work, though.

Fantastic idea, should I put in pebble stones and then the sand?

This all happens in the summer and I'm trying to head him off at the pass. When the temperature is 90 degrees the pee just sits on top of the clay and takes quite a while to sink into the ground. I may smell just a hint on hot days, but I think he is being a PITA!! definitely.

My friend has sand in her dog potty pen. She has three adult labs. The smell can get pretty bad when the wind blows the pee smell on to the deck next to the pen. I think she just rakes the pen every few days so the wet spots get turned over and dry out. Sometimes there is almost no smell.

I pick up the poop every day and on hot days I hose the area down, so I think I am leaning towards the sand, since it can be replaced.

One drawback of sand is that it will freeze in the winter, making it harder to clean up poop. You might consider gravel, which, if deep enough, will drain better and can be bleached. I used to use pea gravel, which is rounded so that it doesn't hurt feet as much, and which was recommended by the dog school I attend. However, some hounds hate walking on it. There is a smaller gravel (don't recall the name) that does not freeze and is not hard on feet. It might be worth checking with a garden supply or aggregate company.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)