Food Aggression In New Hound

Guest lindywil

Guest lindywil

My family has recently (about 1 month ago) taken on a new rescue hound. He is our second, the last one passing away about two yrs ago. Our new hound is a 4yo male. We also have an 8yo male whippet and an 11yo female boxer. All are desexed. The hound is beautiful in nature and we can take food from his mouth with no issues. He has an obsession for bones, however, and two days ago, had a fight with the whippet because the whippet wanted one of the bones. The 'tussle' lasted a whole three or four seconds before I ran out back and yelled. It all ended quickly but has resulted in a large tear in the whippet's back and another puncture in his head. Whippet had the day in hospital, general anaesthetic, stitches, drain in back and a $500 bill. Prior to that, hound also nipped at my mother-in-law's whippet as they ran. Not a serious injury, just a small hole. We are very reluctant just to 'give up' on him as he is a happy dog and seems unbothered by other dogs generally. His character seems quite dominant, and I have been given two conflicting pieces of advise. One was to try to 'reposition' him in our pack, feeding him last etc, whereas the other advice was the complete opposite, to leave him as the dominant dog or he will simply become more aggressive to earn his position back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, we are not fickle with our animals and believe that a pet is for life, but we don't want to see him becoming a burden, or having to live his life in a muzzle. He currently only wears a muzzle when out (he is not desensitized) or when he has had a 'moment' with bone possession. HELP!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

A bone is a prized possession to most dogs, let alone greyhounds.

Allowing dogs to intermingle while a bone is involved is something that normally comes along after a while of learning the new dog and knowing there will be no issues.

I think it was a bit much too soon and heck he may never want to share his goodies. Understandable. If someone reached on my food plate for my goodies they just might get a fork to the hand :D

My crew are all supervised while bones are presents. When one is done, it's picked up and thrown away and I keep a close watch on everyone.

There is no sharing bones. Each dog is given their bone. When done it's done and you don't get to go grab anyone elses.

As far as the nip in the yard while running. Yes, some hounds are mouthy while running.

If he is one of those hounds, then it's best to keep a muzzle on during running/play time to prevent injury to others.

Second to what is said above. Strict supervision while eating and having high value treats is absolutely essential when you have such a disparity of sizes. If you use them, this is a great time to crate everyone for a little down time and a bone. If you don't crate, then make sure they are separated by enough space that no one feels they are being impinged on by one of the others.

My greys all wear muzzles when outside for playing because we have a couple who are very mouthy and nippy. It just helps to keep everyone unbitten and th vet bills lower. You also should look into getting light muzzles for the littles in your hose as well. Small teeth can tear just as much as big teeth can.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

^^^ Yep, that!

I have two greys and an airedale. My male hound and male airedale have food "complications". Neither boy will mess with Grace, she's a bitch and the boss of them!

The greyhounds can be together with bones, but neither are allowed to take the others. Same with food, they are both fed in the dining room. Jackson the airedale is fed his meals behind closed roots in the master bedroom. That's also where he is allowed to have his bones.

It's just not worth the risk to let them all loose together with food or prized possessions.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Just want to add that this is not about dominance, which is fortunately increasingly considered an outdated concept. This is about bones being particularly desirable to your hound, and he simply doesn't know it's not ok to fight others over this. It's best to set him up for success/no conflict by feeding all dogs in crates/rooms, as suggested.

Otherwise agree with everything else said.

Edited by christinepi

His character seems quite dominant, and I have been given two conflicting pieces of advise. One was to try to 'reposition' him in our pack, feeding him last etc, whereas the other advice was the complete opposite, to leave him as the dominant dog or he will simply become more aggressive to earn his position back.

Never try to 'reposition' a dog in your pack. You won't succeed. Dogs find their own positions and the best thing you can do is support the one who comes out on top, or yes, he will likely become more aggressive to win back his position.

People might tell you they've succeeded in this, but really, all they've done is create a time-bomb. Their dogs may appear to accept the new order, but it will only last as long as you are there in the room with them, and even then, only so long as nothing major happens. Trying to assert your will on their own notion of pack order all-too-often results in coming home to a blood-bath and an owner who says 'but it happened out of the blue, with no warning'.

Christinepi is right: this is not about dominance. Not in the sense that most humans mean it. This is about pack order (which is something the dogs must work out for themselves) and not being able to share a high-value treat.

Feed them separately, and don't hand out long-lasting treats without close supervision. And yes, if he plays that rough, muzzle everyone when they're outside together. :)

One more thing; you say he does wear a muzzle when he's out because 'he's not desensitised'. What precisely did you mean? Does he go after small dogs/cats? If so, the damage to the whippets may be more than just play or food guarding. Some greyhounds with a prey-drive are fine just as long as nothing triggers it, then they'll bite - a good example is those who live happily and safely with indoor cats but will chase (and would kill) one outside.

Could it be that playing with the whippets pushes him over that edge, or is it just rough play?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My thought is that it is "too much too soon," too. All good comments above.

This article may give further insight, too... Greyhound Fighting or Playing

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest PhillyPups

You have a new greyhound, young, that never lived in a home before, and if he is a retired racer, got all his food and treats in his crate, not out in a room loose with other dogs. This is new behavior. Even though it may seem that a month is a long time to you, it is not that long to him. I think this is about a valuable treat, another dog (whippet) came up to his bone, and he did what is natural and just not allow that to happen. Mine NEVER get a treat, food, or bones without me present, inside, as I can get across a room a lot faster than across a yard. I look at muzzles like seatbelts. They go on before the dogs go out together, and everyone wears one (I also do not drive my vehicle unless all humans have their seatbelts on, [my attitude is if you don't want to wear one, fine, walk, or find another way to get there] if you don't want to muzzle one dog, let them out alone.)

You cannot blame him for protecting his goodies. Most of mine will do that, even my 13 year, it is not fair to blame the dog protecting their stuff. If an intruder, or a neighbor I did not know well (new dogs, new home), came into my home to rob me, and I saw them, dang tootin, I would shoot them, which is how he sees it.

Good luck, and use it as a lesson learned, a tough lesson, be ever vigilant. Remember it takes a while for some of them to settle in. He is in the very new stage.

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest lindywil

One more thing; you say he does wear a muzzle when he's out because 'he's not desensitised'

Thanks to everyone for advice. Regards to the 'desensitizing', as far as I am aware, this is when ex-racers are trained to 'control' their prey drive that was learnt whilst training. In Australia, some states allow hounds that have passed a certain number of tests to be walked in public without a muzzle and wearing a green collar. Some adoption programmes offer desensitization of hounds who are going to be adopted. Ours hasn't been trained in this way, but we are working with him when out, giving a clap and a 'no' when he sights a cat or small dog running. He is very responsive and clever, as was our last hound who learnt to go into the chook pen without touching the chooks, but catching the wild feral pigeons!

I agree that treats will be supervised, tonight they were all given fresh chicken legs, which were eaten quickly with absolutely no dramas. I also agree that the special long-term bones seem to be just too good a treat to leave laying around the yard for days, as he seems to stockpile them.

Thanks again for advice from everyone, please feel free to add more if you think of it! I will post updates on his progress.

Greyhounds are not taught prey drive. It is part of their nature. In the US, all Greyhounds are muzzled in the turnout pens to prevent injury to each other; not because they're vicious, or to teach them anything, but because they have very thin skin, and even normal play biting can cause it to tear.

Once adopted, people with multiple dogs often choose to continue to muzzle when their dogs are outside together for the same reason--to prevent accidental injury.

Rather than even THINKING about giving up your dog, it's much simpler to understand that you should not put the dogs outside together with something like a bone! Either gives bones in separate locations (one dog in the kitchen, one dog outside, etc.) or stop giving them all together.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We've had multiple dogs of various breeds for many, many years.

None have had any 'food aggression' issues.

However, we never ever allow them food - bones/kongs included - unless they are being directly supervised... in the same room with one of us.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Another Australian!!!

Agree with the others. We have one hound with a very high prey drive. We have accepted that she will never be ok with cats, possums, chickens or rabbits. After some intensive obedience training, consisting mainly of socialization she might be ok with small fluffies on leash. Off leash, never.

Pm me if you like - where are you?

• 1 month later...
Guest lindywil

Another Australian!!!

Agree with the others. We have one hound with a very high prey drive. We have accepted that she will never be ok with cats, possums, chickens or rabbits. After some intensive obedience training, consisting mainly of socialization she might be ok with small fluffies on leash. Off leash, never.

Pm me if you like - where are you?

Hello, thanks for your reply - apologies for delay, haven't checked my post for ages. I am in SE Qld, just outside Toowoomba. Whereabouts are you? Thanks again, Lindy.

Okay, I'll be the dumby and ask. What the heck is a chook? :lol

A chicken, usually adult, maybe a hen would be a better word. As in 'I'll go and feed the chooks'. Can also be used to refer to adult/ older women, 'the old chooks' (vs the 'old ducks') in comparison to the 'chicks' (young women)

• 1 month later...
Guest lindywil

Sydney. Still working on the obedience stuff. How ate you getting on?

Hi again, we are going great at the moment. Ripper (hound) has really been working hard and we have spent a lot of time with him. We have found that hounds are particularly clever, and although we now always supervise every meal-time, he is certainly less reactive than before. He has the most beautiful nature and has a really funny habit of 'rubbing' on everyone. I don't think it's a marking thing, he just likes the feeling! Anyway, how many hounds do you / have you had? Ripper is our second.

I've had a total of 13. I am down to 8 now as we have lost several to old age issues. We also have a JRT who rules the roost around here.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We've got two, 2 year old girls we've had for 7/8 months now. Brandi just failed her green-collar assessment and Paige will never pass it. Brandi is still a might, but Paige simply won't. She is bred to run and hunt and that's what she will always try to do.

We actually had her assessed yesterday with a fluffy when Booster had been done. She was described as 'opportunistic' by the vet and the behaviouralist there. She seems fine with the fluffy until you relax and she thinks you aren't looking, then just flips a switch and goes for it. Not suitable to be de-muzzled. :-)

They're our first hounds, and are a little bit of a handful, but very well loved regardless!