Violent Gi Reaction From Hotdog!

I'm sure by now you all know who me and my puppy are by how many questions I am asking! lol! I apologize for all the questions and remarks.

So, yesterday I started a few little 5 min. training sessions with Bacardi on the come, sit, and down commands. Well I was traing here with tiny hotdog pieces that I cut up. I didnt give her a ton but a few hours later she had explosive diarhea! not to get too in depth but I have never seen anything like this before, it was literally brown water! and her tummy was grombling a lot, she had to go potty several times to rid herself of it. (good thing was, she let me know when she had to go!) But, I gave her some boiled chicken and brown rice to see if they helped her tummy. Could it be possible that she has a sensitive tummy? Are greyhounds normally that sensitive to change in thier diet? I am switching back to cheerios for training but she really seems to pay attention to the hotdog, but I dont want her sick. She has had soft poo for the past few days as well, Vet says she is healthy and I have had her dewormed, can anyone recommend a food for her if she has sensitive tummy?

Myka's tummy was very sensitive when she first arrived. She'd only been away from the track for 2 weeks at that time. It took a good 6 months before I even gave her a cookie because her gas was so bad any time she got more than kibble. She still gets very few treats. ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Bacardi's so little I wouldn't be shocked that what appears to be a relatively small amount of "new stuff" added to her diet could be disruptive to her system.

If she can tolerate chicken (you said you fixed that for her), then I would use the chicken as high-value treats (in very small amounts)

Edited by revamp

~Amanda

Guest verthib

I'm sure by now you all know who me and my puppy are by how many questions I am asking! lol! I apologize for all the questions and remarks.

So, yesterday I started a few little 5 min. training sessions with Bacardi on the come, sit, and down commands. Well I was traing here with tiny hotdog pieces that I cut up. I didnt give her a ton but a few hours later she had explosive diarhea! not to get too in depth but I have never seen anything like this before, it was literally brown water! and her tummy was grombling a lot, she had to go potty several times to rid herself of it. (good thing was, she let me know when she had to go!) But, I gave her some boiled chicken and brown rice to see if they helped her tummy. Could it be possible that she has a sensitive tummy? Are greyhounds normally that sensitive to change in thier diet? I am switching back to cheerios for training but she really seems to pay attention to the hotdog, but I dont want her sick. She has had soft poo for the past few days as well, Vet says she is healthy and I have had her dewormed, can anyone recommend a food for her if she has sensitive tummy?

Many greys have sensitive tummys. Hot dog's have a lot of stuff in them. Try just using pieces of her kibble. They still think its a treat and their tummy is already used to it. If you feel the need for real dog treats buy something with minimal ingredients and try one kind for several days so you can rule out what doesn't agree with her.

Petco sells some good dehydrated treats (Pure Bites is a brand I get -- they have chicken breast, liver, maybe something else), or any quality pet supply store, or you can order online.

Another thing to consider if you ever want to try hotdog again is get low-fat or even non-fat hot dogs. They are sold in any decent supermaret. The fat content is often what causes D (I can say from experience). Especially in such a little guy it might not be the ingredients per se but too much fat for his system.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Bacardi isn't the only pup who had a problem with hot dogs. Stellaluna, my staghound had reactions varying from some extra potty treats up to an unfortunate blow out in her crate one evening while we were out. There are so many different possible treats that you really don't need hot dogs. However, hot dogs are so convenient & relatively cheap for a meaty treat that is isn't surprising so many of us like to use these. Besides most dogs love them. I found that all beef hot dogs with a minimal number of ingredients & usually of the kosher variety was tolerated much better when Luna was a pup. However, even those in any real quantity could cause her problems. I did find a beef hot dog labeled as "low fat" or "reduced fat" or "lean". Can't remember brand but it was significantly lower in fat than most other hot dogs & also had a minimum of extra ingredients like preservatives & dyes. Those worked very well for her.

The biggest problem is the trial & error required for finding the right type of hot dog or any treat for a dog with a sensitive system when the error results is such unpleasant consequences. Besides routinely using the tiniest bit of treat possible that still motivates the pup, you may want to only use a small amount of a new treat the first few times you try it just to make sure a big problem won't arise.

You know, thinking back on it I believe I started using the frozen chicken strips because Luna tolerated them so well. -

Petco sells some good dehydrated treats (Pure Bites is a brand I get -- they have chicken breast, liver, maybe something else), or any quality pet supply store, or you can order online.

Another thing to consider if you ever want to try hotdog again is get low-fat or even non-fat hot dogs. They are sold in any decent supermaret. The fat content is often what causes D (I can say from experience). Especially in such a little guy it might not be the ingredients per se but too much fat for his system.

I will have to check out Petsmart or Petco...if I can find one, unfortunately, where I live there are no pet stores really, and the closest Petsmart is in Omaha, and this is a good 3 hours from me. But I may make the trip there when I get my tax return here shortly to spend all my money of dog treats...and gasoline to get there and back! lol!

PetSmart does not have quality treats typically -- we have both that and a Petco about 1/4 mile apart and I can't say I've ever seen the dehydrated stuff at PetSmart. But I order a TON of dog stuff online all the time.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

PetSmart does not have quality treats typically -- we have both that and a Petco about 1/4 mile apart and I can't say I've ever seen the dehydrated stuff at PetSmart. But I order a TON of dog stuff online all the time.

I will have to look online then, would save me the gas money if I didnt have to make a wasted trip to Omaha!

The PetSmart we use has several varieties of dehydrated treats. Online ordering is easy and relatively quick, though the availability can be spotty.

Many greyhounds react to ham/pork products too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I used the Cheese sticks when I was training one of my dogs. I would let him nibble just a bit off each time he did something good.

like the pull cheesesticks for kids?

The cheese ones that they sell in regular grocery stores - they are about 6 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide. Try just one and see if your dog has a reaction to the dairy - some dogs will get diarrhea.

I used the Cheese sticks when I was training one of my dogs. I would let him nibble just a bit off each time he did something good.

The cheese ones that they sell in regular grocery stores - they are about 6 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide. Try just one and see if your dog has a reaction to the dairy - some dogs will get diarrhea.

do you know what I can give her to settle her tummy? She has semi-solid poo this morning and now it is back to being like water.

Guest verthib

do you know what I can give her to settle her tummy? She has semi-solid poo this morning and now it is back to being like water.

Give her some Pepto. If she has that sensitive of a tummy, I'd stay away from people food and find a limited ingredient dog treat.

The usual advice is no food for 24 hrs, but since she's so young you may want to call your vet and ask

I will have to do that in the morning since the office is closed. she has only eaten one meal today so I'm not sure where all this poo is coming from. she isnt acting sick she is still playing and active, so not sure, we have had an outbreak of parvo around here this month and its been bad, so not sure if I should be watching for that too since she still have one more in her series to go until fully vaccinated.

The usual advice is no food for 24 hrs, but since she's so young you may want to call your vet and ask

I will have to do that in the morning since the office is closed. she has only eaten one meal today so I'm not sure where all this poo is coming from. she isnt acting sick she is still playing and active, so not sure, we have had an outbreak of parvo around here this month and its been bad, so not sure if I should be watching for that too since she still have one more in her series to go until fully vaccinated.

Has she been drinking enough water? The reason that I ask is if she has diarrhea she will loosing fluids and she can easily get dehydrated.

As to firm up the poop, you can keep on giving the rice and chicken or give noodles with hamburger (not too much fat). If the poop is still water tomorrow AM then you will need to probably get her to the vet sooner rather than later especially with an outbreak of parvo in the area.

edited to add .. also, if you are going to give her rice, make it white rice rather than brown as the brown can be harder to digest.

Edited by MaryJane

Has she been drinking enough water? The reason that I ask is if she has diarrhea she will loosing fluids and she can easily get dehydrated.

As to firm up the poop, you can keep on giving the rice and chicken or give noodles with hamburger (not too much fat). If the poop is still water tomorrow AM then you will need to probably get her to the vet sooner rather than later especially with an outbreak of parvo in the area.

edited to add .. also, if you are going to give her rice, make it white rice rather than brown as the brown can be harder to digest.

and Yes, I have been making sure she drinks plenty of water, and if she is still like this in the morning I am taking her to the vet right away. noodles are okay to give?

thank you,

I give canned pumpkin to help with stool quality (the fiber helps firm loose stool and soften hard stool) don't use the pie mix, just the plain pumpkin. My hound recently had a bad bout of diarrhea, and I found that the pumpkin helped more than the metronidazole!

For treats, if she likes the chicken you've cooked up, and it doesn't upset her system, I like that as an idea for training. Generally, I try to use all meat or cheese as treats. (keeping it simple). Dehydrated meat or cheese treats are available in pet food boutiques or online. (better prices usually online, sometimes with free shipping :) )

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I would not use treats with so young a puppy. They're small, and it's very easy to overfeed. They're also easy to reward with other things such as toys and human contact -- treats really aren't needed at this stage.

That said, you'll want to make sure you keep up with every two weeks' worming for a bit and be very careful that she doesn't dehydrate.

Hoping it was just a minor tummy upset and girl is fine this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

... easy to reward with other things such as toys and human contact -- treats really aren't needed at this stage.

All true for some. Partially true for others. And sometimes what works in certain situations, like at home just before mealtimes, does not work in other places, like on the porch at first, or other times, like after a recent meal. I feel treats do indeed have a place when training pups.