Violent Gi Reaction From Hotdog!

I dont know if you already called your vet or not, but as long as Bacardi isn't lethargic and is able to hold down water (isn't vomiting), from my perspective there is no reason to take the dog into the vet. I simply advised to call the vet and ask about treatment for diarrhea for such a young puppy, since for adult dogs the first thing to do is withhold all food for 24hrs and I am not 100% sure this is appropriate for an 11wk old puppy.

You also mentioned Parvo, but let me assure you that Bacardi does not have parvo-virus. A young puppy infected with Parvo goes from perfectly healthy to being too weak to lift its head in a matter of a day or even hours from the onset of symptoms. Additionally, Parvo symptoms are distinct and specific (profuse dark bloody and mucuous-y diarrhea with a unique, unforgettably foul smell).

I am not a vet, but I used to work as a veterinary assistant many moons ago and it sounds like your girl just has an inflamed, upset GI tract. It needs time to rest and heal and the only way that will happen is to stop feeding her for a bit (again, check with your vet)

Edited by revamp

~Amanda

Guest Wasserbuffel
Omaha, and this is a good 3 hours from me. But I may make the trip there when I get my tax return here shortly to spend all my money of dog treats...and gasoline to get there and back!

There's a Petco in Grand Island, that would be much closer for you than Omaha.

It might be cheaper and less time consuming for you to make homemade treats for Bacardi, or to use a meaty treat that isn't as fatty/salty as a hotdog. Small bits of boiled chicken should be stimulating for her, easy on her tummy and a lot cheaper than one-three hours driving!

Edited by Jayne

good afternoon, Well she seems to be acting better today and she is active and playing, eating and drinking, poo is still very runny and I called vet to ask and make sure I'm doing eberything correctly. I just got a litter nervous about the parvo thing cause soooo many puppies have gotten it here recently and none of them have pulled through. I'd hate to lose her. anyway, he has recommended switching her slowly over to a prescription diet, and I am going to try it and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice on the subject, I really appreciate the friendliness of everyone here and your willingness to lend and ear and some advice!

... easy to reward with other things such as toys and human contact -- treats really aren't needed at this stage.

All true for some. Partially true for others. And sometimes what works in certain situations, like at home just before mealtimes, does not work in other places, like on the porch at first, or other times, like after a recent meal. I feel treats do indeed have a place when training pups.

This is a real pup -- 11 weeks old.

For adolescents (> 8-9 months) and adults, I agree with you. But this young (and small, and immature digestive system), I prefer to focus on other things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

rice and boiled chicken(white meat) or boiled chop meat- lean until things clear up. there is plenty of water in the rice so techinically her water consumption should go down. after a couple of days of "good stools" then slooooowly reintroduce kibble. i wouldn't introduce pumpkin at this point. f the poops don't firm up by the end of the weekend talk to your vet. pepto can be harmful to a pup that young.

i trained felix on cheerios, italian bread crusts, plain bagels, boiled chicken and when he was older(remember i started classes at 12 weeks) we graduated to sharp cheddar cheese, dehyrdrated liver, hot dogs, and plain old raw meat.people used to laugh when cheerios came flying out of my bait bag- it's hard to contain them. sloooow and easy at introducing foods. i stuffed hoofs w/ baby food- plain jars of chicken or beef(yulk- never even used that on my own kid)- a schmear in the hoof and i froze it.

glad to hear you are working on her training :colgate