Whining...the Very Moment I Wake Up

Guest Fruitloop

Guest Fruitloop

It's just me, Fruity and the BF and since I go to work when it's still dark outside he normally gets to do the morning walk and serve breakfast. For the last 2 months on our sleep-in-late (that's 7am for me) weekends Fruity whines loudly the very moment I show signs of consciousness. Since we are still new at this I've always thought she was saying, "It's about time one of you got up! I've got to go outside PRONTO!!" So every weekend I've been frantically stumbling out of bed, running to open the dog door and then to open the back patio door just in case. When she ends up staring at me (almost always) as I gesture "outside?" I just get dressed and take her for a walk and go on with the "morning protocol". She's only really needed to go out once.

This morning I was scheduled to work late and when she did the whole whine routine again I just wasn't ready to move fast and ended up sitting on the edge of the bed gathering my wits. It was then that Fruity, with a great big wagging tail, climbed up and smushed her head into my lap...with GUSTO...and then she slid off onto the floor and roached.

What. A. Goofball.

It dawned upon me that she might just be whining because she's happy to see me. :blink:

Happy whining? It sounds the same as unhappy whining (like when I decide I want some alone time in the bathroom)...but maybe louder. I always thought whining=discomfort of some sort.

What do you guys think?

I have no personal experience with potentially happy whines, but one way to find out would be to do this a few more times intentionally (meaning your not getting up to let her out to pee right away, but letting her snuggle, roach or whatever else she might seem happy to do), just to see what she's ultimately trying to say.

Yep. Happy Whining, page twentylebben of their retirement manual. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have a whiner too.... many would agree he is 'over cummunicative' and it's an expression of him wanting something - we know clearly if it is to go outside but all of his other whines are simply to be bratty I mean chatty.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Yup, she's showing you what a happy girl she is - excited to wake up and find herself starting on a new day with you in her forever home... Doc knows he's not supposed to run in from next door and greet me until the alarm clock goes off, but even after six years of retirement he still sometimes just can't wait and has to start squeaking with excitement! :)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest BrianRke

I am EXTREMELY lucky. My three are NOT morning "people". I usually get up at 7am and many times, they will continue to sleep and wont come downstairs till they hear me rattle the food bowls, then they eat, go outside, come back in, and disappear upstairs and go back to sleep.

Not sure what I did to deserve this :colgate

millie comes in the bedroom at 06:30 and starts whining. if i tell her no, she goes back to bed. usually of course i'm awake by then and wind up getting up anyway, use the bathroom, and come back to find her on the bed asleep. she wakes up about 08:00 for her first walkies. (she'll only sleep on the bed with me at the same time for about an hour before i need to move and she then gets up, i'd prefer her to stay - i'm working on it.)

she uses whines to communicate and i've gotten used to which whines are which. the 'i want food' whine is different than the 'i need to got out' whine, the 'i want to be petted' whine, the 'i'm uncomfortable' whine, the 'i want you to get up so i can sleep there' whine and the other whines...

the most pitiful is the 'i've just spent 10 minutes moving and plumping up my expensive memory foam bed and i can't get it right, so you have to fix it for me' whine. the position she wants it in is, of course, usually the one it was in before she started messing with it.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest mbfilby

Myka happy whines. She also whines to go out, whines when she decides it's time to eat (about 1 1/2 hours before it's actually time to eat), whines when someone has the spot she wants, whines when someone has the spot she might want later, whines when she is uncomfortable but too lazy to move, whines when someone is behind a closed door, whines when she feels it is time for the humans to go to bed, whines when there is a bird/cat/dog/squirrel/person/leaf/ anywhere in view outside.. :)

Thank goodness that if she doesn't get what she wants almost immediately, the whining turns into constant in-your-face barking. All that whining would get annoying.. :lol

th_VIDEO0008.jpg

Edited by mbfilby

Sometimes he is even whining as he walks out of the room and I can hear him as he continues on into the next room. Cracks me up.

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Micah doesn't whine but instead uses these half barks.....Harold..sort of like a bark beinwhispered...it's pretty funny. He does that in the early morning and sometimes it's just to say good morning but if it's toylike he gives a half bark and walks toward the door..pretty cute.

Happy whining made me more of a morning person. Mind you, I'm not 100% there yet, but it has helped. Something about a dog that is SO HAPPY that I am awake just makes me happy. :)

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest verthib

Happy whining made me more of a morning person. Mind you, I'm not 100% there yet, but it has helped. Something about a dog that is SO HAPPY that I am awake just makes me happy. :)

Agreed!!!!!

I would pay to be able to sleep until 7 AM!

I'm lucky if we make it to 5.

Someone should capitalize on this. Seriously, half of going on vacation for me is "paying" for several hours uninterrupted sleep.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I am retired and Lou wakes me up every morning at 5:30 whining, as if to say "you are suppose to be up and going". He goes back to sleep in his comfy bed and I am here typing at 7:00 am :lol

Paige does this too! Then ges back to bed, and I'm up and awake. Drives me insane!!!