Peeing Blood

Sorcha

I woke up to find that my Italian greyhound is peeing blood. He soaked through the bed sheets and on the carpet is pee and blood drips. I took him outside and he peed with blood in it. I have to get my other dogs out, and then a separate trip out for a fellow greytalker's dog that I am watching. I tried calling me vet but I know he is not in the office yet. I will get him seen by a vet but in the meantime, just wondering if anyone knows what this could be?

My first guess is a UTI in the very least, but it may have progressed further to something more. I dunno if blood means any kind of kidney stones? Others will likely have more ideas to help you.

Poor guy. Does he struggle to pee? Glad you are heading to the vet. Very alarming for certain. Keep us updated. Hugs.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks. I finally reached my vet. He is booked with emergencies this morning, and he said that while Harkan's symptoms are concerning it's not an emergency. He said it could be UTI or at the worst stones. He said he will be okay to wait a few hours so I am going to crate him and go to work for the morning, then return home and take him to the vet. He is otherwise fine.

I always have a couple of back up vets just in case. The back ups are more for me than the greyhounds. The greyhounds are fine to wait, I'm the one with the anxiety problem.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest mountain4greys

I always have a couple of back up vets just in case. The back ups are more for me than the greyhounds. The greyhounds are fine to wait, I'm the one with the anxiety problem.

I used to think it was only my DW and I. At least now I'm not the only one! smile.gif

I hope the little guy will be ok, and nothing serious. It doesn't sound that way, but I bet it looked that way.

With Thane it was his only sign of kidney cancer. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No experience, but sending prayers that it is a simple infection.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

The vet feels it's just a UTI based on his symptoms and the results of a urine sample, and is treating it as such. He felt him for stones and did not feel anything. He was given an injection of Durapen and a dose of Orbax (liquid) and sent home with the Orbax to take once daily for 14 days. While he was there, he had an epilis removed from his mouth.

UTI's are uncomfortable but I've never had a vet give a pain shot for it. The anti-b's seemed to kick in quickly to relieve the symptoms. Just curious, why do you say go to a different rather than ask the current vet?

Sorcha, I had a big guy do something similar once & it was a UTI. It's really awful looking but doesn't take much blood to make urine a frighteningly vivid shade.

...Just curious, why do you say go to a different rather than ask the current vet?

I did go to my regular vet (who is a one-man vet clinic), so not sure the question? It was very early in the morning and I would have taken him to an e-vet if it was so urgent and he had to be seen before my vet opened.

Hi Sorcha, that question was not directed at you. It pertained to verthib's comment in the response immediately preceding mine. not you. I probably should have quoted verthib to save confusion.

How is your guy this morning?

Thanks for clarifying, and I probably would have figured that out if I was not dealing with everything going on in my life at present (not just this).

Harkan seems to be doing fine otherwise, eating / drinking / prancing around the yard. He can't help having pee accidents (dripping blood & urine) so I might have to get baby diapers or something to use on him temporarily (I don't have a belly band for him, he's never had accidents in the house). I am not sure how long it should take the medicine to start working, he gets his second dose when I get home from work today.