Which Costco Variety?

Guest BikeBookBread

Guest BikeBookBread

Took Chase to vet this morning for a stool culture. His stools are getting even looser than before. Have panacure on hand. Vet said to switch her to "Costco" dog food, but there are four varieties. Which one?

He has not tolerated Purina Pro Plan sensitive (salmon and rice) or Blue Wildnerness Chicken and Brown Rice.

Here are the choices:

Kirkland Nature's Domain grain free salmon and sweet potatoKirkland healthy weight chicken and vegKirkland lamb rice and vegKirkland chicken rice And veg

She thinks that the BW may have been too rich.

I read on another post that plain old green bag Iams may be a good bland choice.

HELP!!!

My dogs did not do well on the Costco Lamb and Rice or the Chicken and Rice but when I combined the two it worked out perfectly and now all 9 greyhounds are doing well. I guess they needed two protein sources for it to work for them. We get the Supreme Lamb and Rice and Chicken and Rice, it has the veggies in it.

That would be a lot of dog food for one dog though. If your pup didn't do well on a fish based food the first time I might not go for the Salmon. You may try the Lamb since it's a protein your pup hasn't had before.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jvandover

We used to use the Kirkland Chicken recipe, but Chad had bad poop. We switched to the Nature's Domain, and now his poop is much better, not excellent, but good enough.

Guest johnwe

At one point our guy started to have pretty regular loose poops. We tried a variety of foods over many weeks and months. Finally Costco started to carry Kirkland Nature's Domain grain free salmon and sweet potato in our state. We switched to that and he's been remarkably improved. This was months ago. I still am in awe at how formed things are now. We tried several more expensive varieties with not so great results.

I think it really does come down to trial and error though, that's what I heard a lot when we shared our pains with not finding a suitable food.

At one point our guy started to have pretty regular loose poops. We tried a variety of foods over many weeks and months. Finally Costco started to carry Kirkland Nature's Domain grain free salmon and sweet potato in our state. We switched to that and he's been remarkably improved. This was months ago. I still am in awe at how formed things are now. We tried several more expensive varieties with not so great results.

I think it really does come down to trial and error though, that's what I heard a lot when we shared our pains with not finding a suitable food.

I use Nature Domain Salmon and have good luck with it. I have one dog with bowel issues and he does very well on it.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

better results w/ nature's domain poop wise as compared to the other kirkland foods, but ....my male started to drink an excessive amount of water. go know...using nurtro large breed- lamb and rice- 1/3 the stool and less gass and much better stools. coat seems the same.

costco will take opened bags back if they don't agree w/your dog.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest SupersMom

Super is eating the lamb and veggies variety of the Kirklands. When we brought her homewe had her on the blue buffalo and she turned her nose up to it. She has been on the Kirkland for about four months, loves it (not as much as yummy human food) and generally has solid stools at regular intervals. I can tell when DH (who is home with her all day) has fed her something naughty.

We go with the grain free Natures Domain. I have a boy that almost died with HGE so he doesn't do grains well. Our group advocates grain free but dosen't necessarily say you have to feed grain free. Mine get the Salmon and Sweet Potatoe.

And I hate the smell of fish on a dogs breath.

Sheila

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

All our dogs and all the dogs in our adoption kennel get the Kirkland Chicken and Rice in the maroon bag. It's worked well for us for several years.

Howevahh... If I could afford it, even just for my own dogs, I'd switch to the grain-free, Nature's Domain. We had a couple of foster dogs here for awhile and one had to be on grain-free food. Those two dogs had AMAZING poops on the Nature's Domain!

I may try mixing the C&R with the grain-free for our own dogs. I know that defeats the purpose of grain-free, but it reduces the amount of grain.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

All three here are on Kirklands Lamb & Rice.

Nigel just arrived here a month ago and he was not on it, but has transitioned over to it very well.

Also fed it before I had Greyhounds ... to our GSD, Dobe and PointerX ... and everyone has done well on it.

However...many dogs ...not just Greyhounds... react differently to foods.

I think I have been extremely lucky over the years to have had dogs that do very well on an inexpensive food.

And :goodluck to us that it continues

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BikeBookBread

So Chase has been on half/half Costco Lamb and old Blue Wilderness chicken for over a week now. His poop is WORSE - almost liquid. Still, he seems happy, he isn't acting oddly. The vet says he is healthy. His worm test came back negative.

Additionally, I can not STAND the smell of the lamb food. Strong smells do not normally send me, but this stuff? I thought I was going to hurl when I opened the bag. I am ready to take back the open bag and get the Nature's Domain. I know it has only been a week, but if it is immediately worse, wouldn't you switch him? His stool was so bad today that I had gave him an Imodium.

Forgive me if I missed it, but have you tried adding canned pumpkin? I feed Bixby Kirkland's lamb and rice (soaked in warm water) and add canned pumpkin and plain yogurt and he's doing great on it. :)

The other thing I'd suggest is not mixing the chicken with the lamb so you can sort out which one had made him worse. Chase may have a poultry allergy.

Edited by kelseysmom

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Guest borzoix4

My dogs did well on both the lamb as well as the chicken, rice and veg. I really like the Kirkland and one of the few dog foods I have seen that is a great price with a good rating as well as balenced phosphorus/calcium ratios.

Only thing it is 'missing' is digestive enzymes, but I add a teaspoon of yogurt to my dogs food anyway, so situation solved. :colgate

Forgive me if I missed it, but have you tried adding canned pumpkin? I feed Bixby Kirkland's lamb and rice (soaked in warm water) and add canned pumpkin and plain yogurt and he's doing great on it. :)

The other thing I'd suggest is not mixing the chicken with the lamb so you can sort out which one had made him worse. Chase may have a poultry allergy.

My guys are on the Natures Domain and doing great.

Pumpkin gives my dog diarrhea, so thats not always helpful. As for dogs with poultry sensitivity, like mine, read all the ingredients in a food. I'm pretty sure the costco lamb food has chicken in it.many alternate protien foods do. The natures domain salmon does not.

Guest greymaroon

I suppose I'll chime in as well, since I haven't seen the brand that we sometimes use: Orijen (we use the standard "Adult Dog" formula, though they have a few varieties)

The pros are it's ingredients: grain-free and uses fresh, raw meat, 80% proten, etc. Also, you don't to feed very much in any sitting - only ~3/4C per feeding. I costed it out once, and the small amount needed with Orijen actually made the price comparable to the Costco brand. Also, it makes a great stand-in for crumbly dog cookies. :)

The cons: $$$. Really, it's so expensive you might as well feed your dog actual free-range meat. That said, I don't have the time to study up on greyt cuisine (though if anyone has written a primer or a Dummie's book, I'd be interested!). Also, Bhombolina's farts smell worse than normal afterwards (which may actually be a sign it's too rich for her).

Our decision: When we can make it to Costco, we buy a 40lb bag of the Lamb and Rice, and our girl seems quite happy with that. Her poop still fluctuates between just firm enough to pick up w/o disintegration, and too soft, but I think that's more a function of whether or not we give her a yogurt kong. :) When we're transpo-limited, we go for the Orijen brand, and mix it.

Sorry for the wordiness, hope this helps. :)

Guest BikeBookBread

To follow-up, after trying out the lamb and rice, we immediately knew it wasn't for Chase. His poop went from bad to worse. Immediately switched cold turkey (I know, I know...) to the salmon and sweet potato with a blob of yogurt. Within two days, firm. Nearly perfect in fact. cool.gif

Thanks for everyone's help.

Guest borzoix4

My dogs eat the chicken and rice formula. Problem with the lamb was that the fat content was too low, and having 4 Borzoi my house turned into tumble weeds of hair. We did not have that situation with the chicken and rice. And I love paying the money that blue buffalow was but instead of 30 pounds of food, I get 80 pounds of food on Kirkland and same rating too in quality!