Jewels Choked On Her Evening Biscuit;

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

Fortunately I remembered how to do the heimlich for greyhounds. It took three tries; she was clawing at her face and looked so terrified! On the third time the chunk of biscuit popped right out and she was fine. I gained a few more grey hairs, on the other hand!

Guest FullMetalFrank

The way I was shown to do it is to stand over them from behind; and do like you would for a person, placing your hands right behind their ribcage and pull sharply and quickly upward and forward. I was actually lifting little Jewels' back end up off the floor; the first two times didn't work probably because I wasn't using a sharp enough motion but by the third try I had some adrenaline flowing and I gave her a good, hard jerk.

Guest Energy11

You are awesome!!!

You did exactly the right thing! :))

I had to do it to my DH's GSD once, and on many humans back in my paramedic days.

I am glad everything is ok!

Thank goodness. What a horrible scare for all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Terrifying! :( Glad you knew what to do.

I thought Dazzle was choking on a treat recently. She was clawing at her mouth and looking panicky. Turned out the treat had just gotten wedged into the roof of her mouth. I had to pop it out with my finger. Then she went right back to eating the treat as if nothing happened. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

This is a good learning experience for us all - especially that people need to be around when they give their hound bones and biskets just for this reason. I see quite a few posts where people go to work and leave a couple of chewies or treats in the cage or for the hound and although usually it is OK - tragedy can result. It is pretty scarry when the hound goes into panic mode and both paws start clawing at their mouth - they are in survival mode and they don't care who gets in the way. I once had an Afgan hound get a raw bone stuck in between two teeth and she started this - it was stuck pretty good and I had to get pliers to get it out. Both of us were relieved when it came out.