Limping On & Off

Guest ScottH

Argos was limping last night lifting his right front leg. This also happened two weeks ago, to the point I had to carry him down the three steps to the backyard. Both evenings I was convinced we were off to the vets in the morning, both following mornings, he was/is running around with no sign of a limp.

We know his back left leg has a problem with the ACL, but what keeps coming and going in the front leg?????

I know he is a klutz getting off the couch sometimes, but how can it hurt so bad as to be held up or severely limped on, then 8 hour later have him running around like it never happened?

Happening once we wrote off as mild hurt with extra drama, but twice? Maybe something else is going on here.

My wife felt all up and down his leg and bent and pulled a bit, but he gave no signs of a particular spot hurting.We see no signs of a corn forming and he never has had one. I half wish it was as we would have an answer to this.

Two weeks ago we thought he was either a Drama King or an incredibly fast healer.

Not so sure what to make of it now. My wife is having problems with her neck and through that out as a possibility. With no sign of a limp now, we are unsure what to do as to seeing the vet. Short of an X-Ray, there seems to be little they could tell us this morning.

I'll give him a small walk around the neighborhood later and see how he does, but right now we are having a hard time keeping him from jumping and running around and acting like, well, Argos.

Guest Plygreygirl

Scott & Noreen!

Sorry to hear Argos is not well as you say Argos!! No help here just support to you and Noreen that it's just a mucle pull or somthing equally non serious!:unsure

Thanks for the support Gail. It could be as simple as arthritis acting up with the colder weather. Just hard to pin down when the symptoms come and go so fast.

If it happens again, put his kennel muzzle on (safety first!) and check the toes on that foot. Could be he is dislocating a toe and popping it back in himself. If they dislocate toward the foot -- or if it's a middle toe (weird but can happen) -- it can be hard to tell at a glance.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it happens again, put his kennel muzzle on (safety first!) and check the toes on that foot. Could be he is dislocating a toe and popping it back in himself. If they dislocate toward the foot -- or if it's a middle toe (weird but can happen) -- it can be hard to tell at a glance.

Thanks for the thoughts Batmom! Noreen did splay his toes and move them a bit with no reaction. It is possible, we will keep a closer look at them toes, if this happens again, (which I hope not)!

Noreen could be right. Daisy has a compressed disc in her neck which results in occasional limping. Daisy also had problems with a corny, misshappen toe, which we removed. Now she has problems with that foot when jumping from too high of a height--like our F150 Super Crew.

Acupuncture and chiropractic will help if it's Argos' neck. Daisy, of course, tortures the acupuncture vet because she's gives a GSOD which makes poor Marv jump, even though he knows it's coming blush.gif.

Epsom salt soak may also help if it's a paw issue.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I don't want to scare you and I know that X-rays can be expensive, but, anytime a greyhound has a limp, it's smart to get an X-ray. Even if the limp is intermittent. My Sutra limped off and on for two months...turns out he had osteosarcoma. I will never again wait to X-ray a limping greyhound.

I hope it's something much simpler, but it's good to cover your bases.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Summit is a chronic, mild grade, intermittent lameness on his left front. Recently (about a month ago) he developed a mild to moderate left hind limb lameness. Full orthopedic exam couldn't pin down the site of pain. Unfortunately many of our greyhounds are just so stoic. Summit is very much Mr. Stoic. He gives absolutely no indication of where the pain is. Possibly in the toes, but really we had no idea. Back doesn't seem to bug him. Hips and stifles are good. His limping is definitely triggered with the cold weather. I noticed it last winter when we first got him, he was fine this summer, and now he's limping again. I've got him on deramaxx and that seems to do the trick. Poor boy has arthritis. :( As much as the arthritis sucks, I hope that's all it is for Argos.

If you're really concerned I'd get some films done. It'll tell you nothing if he has a soft tissue injury, but it will tell you if he has arthritis or osteo... which in our greyhounds are probably the two most common causes of lameness anyway. It sucks to take them in when they're not limping because the vet can't tell you much if they don't limp, but you can still get x-rays. If it shows some arthritis you can try him on an NSAID and see if that helps. If it does you pretty much have an answer.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I don't want to scare you and I know that X-rays can be expensive, but, anytime a greyhound has a limp, it's smart to get an X-ray. Even if the limp is intermittent. My Sutra limped off and on for two months...turns out he had osteosarcoma. I will never again wait to X-ray a limping greyhound.

Yes - ditto. At least call the vet and describe what is happening - see if they think he needs to be examined.

Fletcher occasionally holds up his left front foot, doesn't want to put weight on it. Turned out to be arthritis in his shoulder! Never would have guessed that. X-rays were the way we found out, so I would second (or third or whatever) X-rays, and have them do the whole leg.

Try to get video footage of Argos when he's limping. The way Argos moves can give your vet some hints about what hurts.

Also, while Argos may be all stoic and non-reactive to you and Noreen, the vet might get a reaction from him once he knows where to look. My Sam didn't give any signs of pain that I could spot. But when the vet touched the right spot on Sam's back, Sam delivered a classic stink-eye--especially when the vet pressed the same spot again as a check. Sam's reaction told the vet where the x-ray might be most productive. (For Sam, a slightly herniated disk at L5.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm also a believer of getting an x-ray of the whole leg and hip if possible when there is an undiagnosed limp. As others have stated, unfortunately Greys are prone to Osteo and I would want to rule that out plus you get a baseline x-ray of the leg. This should discount any bone related issues which would be good.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yes - ditto. At least call the vet and describe what is happening - see if they think he needs to be examined.

x3. Faye Oops had an intermittent limp for about a 1-2 weeks. One day she'd be limping, the next day she'd be running around. We took her to the vet hoping it was arthritis, but also got X-rays. It was osteosarcoma. Hoping it's nothing, but X-rays are the only way to know for sure.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Try to get video footage of Argos when he's limping. The way Argos moves can give your vet some hints about what hurts.

Also, while Argos may be all stoic and non-reactive to you and Noreen, the vet might get a reaction from him once he knows where to look.

Very true on both accounts!