Teaching To Walk On A Treadmill

I brought this up on a previous post Linky but perhaps it deserves a separate topic.

To help alleviate energy with Ryder, I was wondering if anyone has had any level of success in teaching a greyhound to walk on a treadmill? With winter months coming, I have been thinking more and more about this. A tired dog is a happy dog, and I was hoping that this might help control his "energy" for lack of a better word when we do a release from the house after being cooped up for too long (as depicted in the video in the previous thread). We do not have a yard, and taking him to the park or my parents yard, he just stands there. The only way to get out a lot of energy is just to walk and walk and walk.

Thoughts?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I did get myka ON my treadmill so I"m thinking that's a start. I will go back to doing that and then just walk with her to get her used to it. I'll keep you posted :P

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I've just looked up some used ones on Kijiji. My spidey senses are telling me something though - how can someone sell a treadmill they got for nearly $1K for $150 ?

with existing warranty? and still in good condition?.....

Ryder is incredibly intelligent. I do not think learning it will be an issue at all, just wondering about any previous experiences. I know a manual treadmill will not work.....that's for sure!

Proudly owned by:

Guest Tiptons_Mom

This is a great idea (in theroy), I would love to hear about how this works out for you guys. I would love to try this for Tipton, but I am not sure that this is the time to try it, as we are still working on basic house mannars that that the cats are not for eating. :P

Please keep us updated.

Guest Iceman41

Let me ask the same question but a tad different . With winter coming soon to pa I won't be taking walks with my grey to releve energy. What do you all do? Do they really need to release energy?

I have a smaller breed dog I had before I got the grey he don't mind to hibernate for the winter

Just wants some thoughts .

Thanks

Guest jbbuzby

Over the years I have trained several dogs to walk on treadmills (and enjoy it!), but have yet to try with a grey. However, I'd imagine it to be pretty similar with them, though some will be easier to train than others. The easiest ones are the ones that are food motivated. You can simply shape the behavior of getting them to put one paw on (click, treat!), and make a big party for each little step until they get to paws on, etc. etc. It takes a while, but these are the dogs that really learn to enjoy it. Other ones that are not so food motivated I've had to just put on while holding the leash and starting very, very slow. These ones learn to tolerate it, but it is much more of a chore than fun for them, I think.

So, it depends on your dog. If I had my own treadmill, I'd probably already have done it with my own hound so he could do SOMETHING on those rainy icky gross days. For the dogs I've trained, it's really been a lifesaver for their owners (but we're talking working breeds that were high energy and NEEDED some sort of outlet for their energy). Give it a try, go slow, and use lots of tasty snacks!

Let me ask the same question but a tad different . With winter coming soon to pa I won't be taking walks with my grey to releve energy. What do you all do? Do they really need to release energy?

I have a smaller breed dog I had before I got the grey he don't mind to hibernate for the winter

Thanks

You might notice your grey get a little too rambunctious and want to relieve his energy somehow. But some need more or less walks and energy burns than others.

In the winter when they need to release energy, we play in an open area of a basement right now, throw a ball, chase, tug of war. We can only walk outside so far until everyone is frozen!

I find mind stimulation is important too, likely more so in winter than summer. Have you thought about trying mind games with a food motivated hound? There are some actual games out there where they need to move blocks out of the way to get to food - it requires some brain power and not just brute strength! Or you can always use 3 tupperware containers upside down, put a piece of kibble under one, mix em up and have him find it!

Proudly owned by:

Guest Iceman41

My hound is not food motivated but treat motivated I bought a kong wobbler and a kong.

I have fenced in yard so she does run back and forth.

I also play with her a lot

I was just wondering

Ya no

Guest GreyFan09

I have thought about it too with our treadmill, but decided I don't want to risk injury to him. I would be scared to death of him breaking a leg or another injury if something went wrong and he slipped or spooked on the treadmill, even if it was going slow. Those long, thin legs up on a moving conveyor belt just don't seem to be a good idea, as opposed to a more nimble breed with shorter, stockier legs.

If anyone has had success with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Our youngest Greyhound Chili was a demo dog for a pet treadmill and she did great. At first we put her on the treadmill and just let her stand there munching on treats we then took her off and ran the treadmill next to her slowing speeding it up and she didn't seem too concerned.

we then put her on the treadmill and turned it on very slowly at first she looked around confused and tried to jump off the side, we steadied her and aimed her forward again and slowly turned the speed up faster to a nice trot and once she got moving she was more focused on moving forward than escaping. we had her up to a pretty good speed and she did very well. we then took her off and gave her a rest and walked her back to treadmill to see of she wanted another go at it and she hopped right on.

we are planning on getting a treadmill for home to keep her in good shape and keep her busy. that way she doesn't drive us nuts over the winter and she will be ready for lure coursing season in the spring.

the only difference I saw between a pet treadmill and a people on was the guard rails on the side and that is not an issue if you don't leave your dog alone on the treadmill.

I wouldn't suggest doing this with a dog that freaks out easily because you will end up with a dog flailing all over the place, an if you are worried about your dog falling off as long as they are not going too fast it should be ok, greyhound may have skinny legs but they are a lot tougher than they look.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

While on the surface it sounds harmless enough, I would be very nervous about doing this.

Most times when I have seen it done with other dogs they tie the dog to the treadmill. I would be too frightened that my grey might just go off the end of the treadmill and being tied up would spook him and he could easily break his neck trying to get away. IMHO, this is like using a retractable leash on a greyhound and you know what happens when a greyhound startles and then they hear that plastic hitting the ground.

Thanks

our basement is cement so Lexie runs around, plays catch, etc down there. If there is a good packed snow on the ground, she likes to run around outside

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest jbbuzby

While on the surface it sounds harmless enough, I would be very nervous about doing this.

Most times when I have seen it done with other dogs they tie the dog to the treadmill. I would be too frightened that my grey might just go off the end of the treadmill and being tied up would spook him and he could easily break his neck trying to get away. IMHO, this is like using a retractable leash on a greyhound and you know what happens when a greyhound startles and then they hear that plastic hitting the ground.

Yes, common sense MUST play a role. I'd never leave any dog unattended while on the treadmill, and I'd never tether a hound. With the dogs I trained, I stayed right there with them, my feet on either side of the machine and the dog and belt moving in between, leash in hand so I can support the dog gently (mentally and physically). If they were to freak, you are right there to free them or secure them, and your hand should always be next to the emergency stop button (I must have used some fancy treadmills, on second thought!). However, I've found that after a few times, the dogs come to LOVE the treadmill and no longer need to be tethered at all. They'll get on at look at you, asking it to be turned on. However, even then, you need to be right there supervising.

Guest shanesmom

My mom's Shepherd walks on her treadmill any day it's too cold or wet for their walk. I tried to get Elton (who was my otherwise totally bombproof grey) on it but he never got over his fear of it. I'm not even going to try with Ace. He's just not that confident. My mom just sets the speed and stands close. He never tries to get off. She just keeps it at a fast walk. He seems to like it. He jumps happily onto it as soon as she asks him to.

They were doing treadmill sales/demonstrations a couple of weeks ago while we were at Sears. My mom put Prince on one and he drew quite a crowd. He is her medical service dog so he goes into the stores with us.

IIRC one of Burpdog's dogs uses the treadmill at physical therapy sessions so she might be able to provide some tips / observations.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We put dogs on underwater treadmills all the time for rehab. It's literally just a treadmill in a waterproof glass box. Put the dog in, fill it with water up to their belly and then start the treadmill. Some of the dogs are initially a little confused and unsure of what is going on, but all the ones I've watched have gotten over it after a few minutes. Honestly, many of them are more concerned about the water and trying to walk ON the water. The rehab tech stands inside the box in the water with the dog. She stands with one foot on each side and holds the leash in her hands. She has an emergency stop button that she can press if she really needs to. And often the owners are there or there are students to offer treats as incentive. They've all done really well. None of them were greyhounds but greys are dogs first and greyhounds second so I see no reason why most greys couldn't do it. I probably wouldn't recommend it for a super spook though.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would never tie myka to the treadmill. I just want to get her to walk on it with me so that if our weather is extra terrible, she can still get a little exercise.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest greysmitten

I can't picture my girl even CLOSE to a moving treadmill. The broom still scares her sometimes :lol

I'd love to hear any progress on this though. We don't have a treadmill, but I wouldn't mind having one.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We've been scoping Craigslist for a used treadmill for the dogs, as well! Mainly to help keep them in shape during the off-season for coursing; not a replacement for walks but an addition for when the weather is just too sucky to go out in. I am curious to see how well others do with getting them trained to use a treadmill. Neon would probably do it, he's pretty confident; but Jewels? She's so cautious about new things (unless it involves something to chase!) She has this permanently perplexed look on her cute little face, I can just see her... "You want me to do what? Walk on that thing, that moves? Not so sure, Mom..."

Guest Jupiter

I've been working with my Honey girl for about 2 months now training her to use the treadmill. She is very treat motivated so I can lure her pretty much anywhere. Right now we're at the stage where she will hop up when its turned off and stand there to take a treat. When It's turned on the lowest speed, she'll walk with her front legs and take a treat, but doesn't want to hang out afterwards. Its been slow progress, but I think eventually she'll get it.

What has helped is to point the end of the treadmill into the open space of the garage so if she rolls of the end of it there is nothing behind her to bump into. Also, getting a running start to hop up there helps her forget that I'm asking her to do something, and is more of a "chase me" game. The next steps I'm going to take with her is to introduce a verbal cue ("up up" seems to work) and get her to stand there without luring her there and to "stay" for a treat. Right now she knows "get on your bed" without luring her over to the bed and into a down, so I think its not out of her grasp. After that it will be the same thing but with the treadmill running - and then just adding time between up-up and treat.

Honey is very high energy for a greyhound. We've had her since September and she's never tired out on a walk, even during an all-day 10 mile one all over downtown Portland. She needs a good hour-long 2mile-ish walk every day and a few laps around the backyard for her to be content. If not, we get woken up early the next day with a bundle of hound barking and running around on the bed and I can barely make it to the pantry to feed her without getting mauled. And when its time to go for a walk its the same thing all over again - she'll go through 3 time outs for barking before we can even get the leash on her. It would be nice to get her to hop on the treadmill and burn off that crazyness!

I've been thinking about a treadmill, too.

Why wouldn't a manual one work?

Alternative exercises/games for winter:

hurdles -- set up short, soft-impact hurdles (I used paper grocery sacks filled with newspapers for recycling, turned on their sides) and position yourself, with reward, on one end of the course. This works best with two folks, one on each end, but you can also work on teaching your dog to stay until called. Great if you have a long hallway.

hide and go seek. Hide yourself, with reward. Call. Rinse, lather, repeat. Be ready to laugh as your dog goes charging past your hiding place 2-3 times because you're not in plain sight. Also good for teaching dog to stay.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter