Received A Warning For Noise

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

I came home from work last night to find a note on my door. It was a written warning from my landlord saying that several people have complained about a "crying dog" in my apartment. It was a general warning, but stated that if more complaints were made, I would have 48 hours to remove the source of the noise (that is literally what it said) from the property or I will be evicted for noise violation. :unsure

A few things...

-My greyhound, Bruce, was adopted 2 weeks ago today, so he's still adjusting. Did I tell them that? Yes. Did they care? No.

-I had no idea he was crying while I was gone. I know he cries when I come home, but I've stood outside of the door before and listened for 10 minutes and didn't hear a peep, granted this only for 10 minutes, so he could be crying for hours in the middle of the day.

-The walls are double studded and well insulated, so I wasn't terribly worried about noise. I've never heard noise in my apartment and the guy next to me wails away on the guitar all day and night - never hear him from my unit, only from the hallway. But apparently the people above me and next to me can hear him (they are the ones who have complained) I didn't make it a point to "warn" my neighbors because I honestly didn't think it would be a problem. I don't blame them for being annoyed. I work 2-10:30 pm and people go to sleep far earlier than 10:30.

-He is crated with a PB kong, his favorite bed, music playing, in an open location where he can see everything.

I am at a total loss here. I am devastated and completely distressed. All it takes is one more person to complain and I have to return my dog that I put MONTHS of thought into adopting. It makes me sick. I'm already quite attached to him. I am NOT the animal returning "type" and I am just heartbroken. I realize he is most likely adjusting or dealing with minor separation anxiety, but my landlord does not care and I'm sure my neighbors don't either. I feel like I made a HUGE mistake bringing a dog into my apartment complex, but had I known it would be so cut and dry with them, I wouldn't have done it. And at the same time, I can see both sides. I can see how it's unbelievably annoying and I can see how the dog needs time.

So what do I do with only one chance and limited time? I read a book called "I'll Be Home Soon" on separation anxiety, but a course of action takes 6 weeks and I don't have 6 weeks to correct this behavior.

Any help would be appreciated... the last thing in the world I want to do is return Bruce, but it honestly might come down to that or I wont have a place to live anymore. :weep

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Oh no! Can you talk to the neighbors and let them know you're working on it? Or at least get some info on how long it goes on? Do you think Bruce could be unhappy in his crate? Myka roams the house and is very happy to no longer be crated....

And call your adoption group for help right away. :)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Oh my goodness, Kari. I am really sorry for your problem. The only suggestion I have is to leave him uncrated. Is that possible? I don't know if you're having issues with him chewing or peeing in the apartment, but if you're not, the freedom may relieve his anxiety. My Annie Bella didn't do much whining or rooing when I'd leave her, but she did none of it when the crate became an option with the door always open.

Guest karilynn

:( Oh no! Can you talk to the neighbors and let them know you're working on it? Or at least get some info on how long it goes on? Do you think Bruce could be unhappy in his crate? Myka roams the house and is very happy to no longer be crated....

And call your adoption group for help right away. :)

Thanks for the reply. I went to talk to my neighbors today but none of them answered, must work days. I know he hates his crate, but on Sunday I left him out of it when I left for an hour, and he pooped and peed everywhere, even though we had just gone out. He seemed SO nervous when I got back. I can't be sure if he was crying then or not, but I'm guessing he was.

Did you speak with the neighbors who complained? I know how uncomfortable this could be, but it's so worth trying. When Pal arrived almost 10 years ago (!), he intially had some separation anxiety. I made cookies and wrote notes for the two neighbors in my condo who would have been the ones to complain: "We are sorry for the sad dog noises you may be hearing. Please bear with us as we make the adjustment from race track to couch. Your new friend, Pal." Then we knocked on their doors to deliver the notes and cookies, and introduce Pal. It was only a couple of weeks before he and the cats became best buds and his SA went away. Janet Marlow has a ZenDog relaxation CD that I leave on now for my five, who are all uncrated, I swear it puts me to sleep :blush Might be worth a try for Bruce.

I hope you can work this out. Please don't give up. Is moving an option?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest cendrine

I would suggest a dog sitter. Perhaps someone you know could help you by checking on him, staying the evening or taking him to their house for the evening? This is just a stop gap so you don't get evicted!

You did not mention that he is let out for elimination during the time you are gone. He is crated a long time without a pee break - that might be another part of the problem.

Have you spoken with the neighbours? Who knows - they might be open to helping you out once they find out your predicament and learn that Bruce is adjusting and this could be a short term situation with a solution!

Guest karilynn

He is let out during the middle of my shift - I work a mile away from my job. Moving is definitely not an option, just signed my lease... :(

I will bring him around to my neighbors, but I live in a fancy schmancy apartment complex and most of them are not very friendly.

I agree with the letter and cookies- even hardened hearts may be willing to hold-off on calling if they understand why life in a home is so different for a grey and that he is new.

Also, try melatonin and a DAP diffuser. And some of your dirty clothes.

Maybe an x-pen would contain messes but make him more comfy?

Kevin was this way too at first when we went into the ayrd. But eventually he did relax. I know you don't have time for eventually. Good luck! I know how much you love him.

finalsiggy.jpg

Would it be possible to find some kind of doggie day care? Another thing you can try is leaving the TV or radio on for him. You can also try aDAP diffuser. And I agree that it might be a good idea to talk to your neighbours.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh, that sucks so much. I echo the advice that others have said about really trying to reach out to your neighbors. It's going to take a little time to do proper alone training and for your new guy to settle in. You know, it's really easy for people to be very cold and unfeeling to a nameless entity (e.g., a neighbor they've never talked to and a vocal dog they've never seen). It's a LOT harder to be that way if you actually have interacted with that person and that dog. It also really helps to know that you're actively working on it, it's not something you're just letting happen at the expense of everyone around you. Play up the concept of how you've taken this dog from the only life he's known and that it's just an adjustment period and that they all do settle in. Maybe even get them invested in his progress - ask them to be your ears and to contact you right away when they do hear him whining. Cookies are always tough to turn down too :). Best of luck. I can imagine how stressful this all is now.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Do NOT panic!

Been there, done that!

I came home to my condo one day, and there was my Super...waiting for me. I was chairman of the condo board, so he basically worked for me. And boy did he look nervous. After some uhms and ahs and such, he told me three different people had complained that DAY about George.

I was mortified. I wrote notes to my neighbors, gave them my cell phone number, my work number, my email. Asked them to please contact ME if he bothered them further, and I explained the whole thing about anxiety. Everyone was SO nice, except one lady who was known as the building witch. She was a lost cause, but fortunately for me, as the chairman of the board, there wasn't anything anyone could really DO to me!

Once I let him out of his crate, he stopped making noise so immediately and so completely, one of my neighbors came by the find out if I had gotten rid of the dog because if her complaint!

I'd also suggest ditching the crate. And you need to take him for a LONG walk before you go to work!

And if you have a web cam that can record to your computer, or just a video camera, I'd video him to see what's really going on.

I assumed my neighbors were exaggerating--they weren't! It was just horrible!

Lots of folks have gone through this, so don't despair!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest karilynn

First and foremost, thank you. You guys are the best and there's a reason I come here!

Secondly, I went home to let him out and I stood by the door for a LONG time and didn't hear a single cry. A man walked out of the apartment across from mine (looked at me like I was on drugs standing with my ear to the door - lol) I asked him if he's heard any crying, he said no. I told him if he does, my dog is new and has some anxiety. He was really nice about it!

Third, I set up the webcam on my computer to record for the rest of my shift (4 hours). We'll see what happens... I'll post the video here, obviously not the whole thing, but if he's crying, I'll put it here. He went into his crate quite willingly tonight. I did move the crate today so it's in a spot that isn't so enclosed. Also, I was SUPER calm when I came in, didn't make a big fuss over him, went to the bathroom before I let him out and he whined but very minimally.

I'll get in touch with my neighbors and bake them something. Great idea!

I would also recommend ditching the crate. I had a similar problem with Luna when I first got her, and after one week of howling, I decided to can the crate during the second week that I had her. Bruce will definitely get better as he becomes more accostomed to life in your home and realizes that you will always come back to him...I wish you all of the best!!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest karilynn

My only hesitation with ditching the crate is coming home to my apartment being destroyed. I have quite the damage deposit put down on this place and if he chews up my woodwork or something, I might cry for the rest of eternity. Granted, I realize a dog means more than woodwork and I don't favor my things to him, but I am renting that woodwork and it needs to stay intact until I can trust him lol

My only hesitation with ditching the crate is coming home to my apartment being destroyed. I have quite the damage deposit put down on this place and if he chews up my woodwork or something, I might cry for the rest of eternity. Granted, I realize a dog means more than woodwork and I don't favor my things to him, but I am renting that woodwork and it needs to stay intact until I can trust him lol

That's definitely a valid concern. Luna also went through a little chewing phase (she has issues with anxiety and was wearing away her front teeth from chewing on the crate while she was in there), and when I first left her out, she did go after my coffee table. I rent too, and I understand not wanting to lose a deposit due to doggie damage. Does Bruce have a muzzle? After the coffee table incident, I muzzled Luna for about two weeks, and that pretty much took care of her anxious chewing. To be honest, she really didn't mind wearing it at all, and it gave me peace of mind that she wasn't tearing the place apart. I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but you are definitely not alone!!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest karilynn

That's definitely a valid concern. Luna also went through a little chewing phase (she has issues with anxiety and was wearing away her front teeth from chewing on the crate while she was in there), and when I first left her out, she did go after my coffee table. I rent too, and I understand not wanting to lose a deposit due to doggie damage. Does Bruce have a muzzle? After the coffee table incident, I muzzled Luna for about two weeks, and that pretty much took care of her anxious chewing. To be honest, she really didn't mind wearing it at all, and it gave me peace of mind that she wasn't tearing the place apart. I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but you are definitely not alone!!

The muzzle! You are a genius. I forgot about the muzzle. I might try that... I don't care if he chews up my coffee table, I own that. I care if he damages my rental property. I have all hardwood floors, so he can't do much damage by peeing or pooping. I'll have to completely dog proof my apartment. I'm really desperate at this point, so I might try not crating him as much as I was advised not to. I just need a miracle. Can I pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now... rofl

I guess my OTHER hesitation is the house soiling. He did ruin my only rug on Sunday night, which isn't that big of a deal, I was kind of contemplating ditching it anyway. I do want to get some cheap rugs at IKEA to make the hardwood floors easier and then I guess if he does go in the apartment, it would at least be a cheap rug he's ruining.

Edited by karilynn

I agree with those who say to reach out to the neighbors. Also, I would go farther than saying your dog is new and has anxiety. I would try to explain in detail what is happening, and what you're doing to help him through his anxiety. I would not ditch the crate if he hasn't shown that he knows the proper way to behave loose in the house. He will get there, but he probably needs more time.

Good luck :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest ctgreylover

Try muzzle, crate but door open and baby gate him in one room. Maybe the kitchen. easier to clean messes. dont close the door to a room. it makes them more nervous to be in a locked room. use baby gates. it takes time to find the right method. 2 weeks is too soon but you had no clue it was even happening. sorry

After you've taken Bruce out for his last emptying before you go to work, you can put a belly band on him to address any thoughts he might have of marking the apartment. If you want some decent throw rugs and runners with backing, Home Depot usually has a nice selection and they won't break the bank. They are laundromat wash & dryable. See, you are making a plan already :colgate

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest karilynn

Try muzzle, crate but door open and baby gate him in one room. Maybe the kitchen. easier to clean messes. dont close the door to a room. it makes them more nervous to be in a locked room. use baby gates. it takes time to find the right method. 2 weeks is too soon but you had no clue it was even happening. sorry

Well, slight issue with that. I live in a studio apartment. It's a big studio, but it has one room, so I can't really gate him in anywhere aside from the walk in closet and the washer/dryer is in there... and my clothes. I could muzzle him so he doesn't chew anything in there, but then he can't enjoy his delicious kong :unsure

X-pen in the kitchen. Leave some dirty clothes you don't care about with him, DAP, melatonin, muzzle if he will chew, radio/tv, and belly band. Also, if you have a video camera then record him and see when he starts-up. Maybe there is a place or person who can doggy sit while you get him acclimated?? Good luck.

finalsiggy.jpg

Along with what others have suggested, leave a radio or television on while you're gone. A lot of kennels have radio's playing for the dogs. This will also mask any outside noises like other tennants coming and going which may be setting him off because he may be thinking you're cioming home when he hears them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee