Shedding As If It Was Summer

Quick background:

Inu has been in two accidents since November 17. The first was a minor cut but we put him on Simlicef. Last week he had a laceration on his back that required stitches. He is now on Simplicef again along with pain meds. In general when he is on antibiotics he gets diarrhea. This time has been no different. The problem is that even prior to the first incident we were battling diarrhea that lasted about a week. He is on Forti-flora but we have not started Flagyl.

This basically means that the boy has been dealing with loose stool of some sort for a month, maybe a bit longer. On top of that he's had a few stressful vet visits and the stress of the accidents and recovery.

Last night I was petting him and he was shedding fur as if it was the beginning of summer. I was wondering if he was not getting enough nutrients this past month and that because of this he does not have a healthy coat? I'm basically turning to GT for ideas on what may be causing this bizarre timing for hair loss.

Thyroid? Stress? Diet?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Actually, Enza is shedding like mad right now too and I'm blaming it on the unnaturally warm (but awesome) weather.

Agreed. Our grey Bonny is shedding like crazy now too.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest mbfilby

Cy is shedding like mad too, but the other two are fine. Cy has a more coarse stiffer coat than the other two. Our weather is just turning cold, so I'm thinking it's his winter coat coming in.

Have you used melatonin at all?

Mine shed like crazy when I was giving melatonin although I haven't given any for a few months and they are still shedding :lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest BrianRke

Daytona is shedding really REALLY bad right now. I had to put a cover on my sofa and my bed because there was so much hair. I take him outside everyday and "furminate" him for what seems like forever.

He does this twice a year, in the spring and in the late fall. He is blowing his summer coat so his winter one can come in.

You have nothing to worry about. Except maybe your vacuum cleaner :lol

Joey and Gidge *mostly* finished the fall shed @ 2 weeks ago. Your weather is a little behind ours, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you're seeing.

The one thing that sometimes helps my dogs when antibiotics cause mooshy poop is metamucil wafers -- half a wafer twice a day. The stuff you spoon out of the jar isn't the same and doesn't work for us, but the wafers help most times.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Boo is shedding like crazy! Her jammies looked like a white fur coat after two nites of them being on! I took her outside with the furminator and it looks like it snowed in my yard!

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

It's so funny that after my time with greyhounds that I really need you guys to keep me from going over the deep end. I'll give him some good curry brush sessions and give my paranoia a brief vacation...until next week :lol

But you ladies with white hounds that I know personally. Those girls are both fluffy :D

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Fritz is also fluffy and white. He had a bath on Saturday and then proceeded to shed all over the place at our meet and greet-it was snowing indoors!

I don't think I would be super worried about Inu unless you're seeing a major thinning of his coat/bald spots.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--