Aquitaine At Ever Now

Sunday update: Yesterday was a rough one, I think she has cabin fever and who can blame her. She was at the vet for 4 days in a run and can't get on her couch at home (although the whole cushion/mattress part of it is on the floor for her).

She had good nights Friday and Saturday. Only 1-2 pees in the house and those were over night so it looks like the IV fluids are finally out of her. The bruising on her underside is much better. She is good about letting me do the warm compress on her belly. It gets red when we do the warm compress but then the color goes away.

She is eating well. She definitely lost at least 5-6 points while at the hospital which isn't surprising. Thankfully, her weight is good so those pounds won't hurt her but I want to get them back on her.

I only have to muzzle her occasionally because she likes to worry the places on her legs where the cathethers were. She is leaving the staples in her abdomen completely alone.

I forgot to say the most wonderful/silly thing: she pooped this morning. A real poop. Formed and everything. Not the nasty pudding that she has been doing since being at the vet (and who can blame her). So, if you were driving down Columbus Avenue in Manhattan this morning and saw a crazy lady who was grinning ear to ear over poop -- that was me!

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been through this, things like this... can I do 2 1/2 - 3 meals a day with no harm to try to get some weight back on her?

Is the occasionally inability to settle related to the Tramadol? (it seems to happen in the middle of the 12 hour window)

I have also found that if I put her muzzle on, she wears it daily to keep her from licking walls, floors, furniture, etc. and then I lay down and don't move at all, it seems to calm her enough to lay down.

I know that all of this is unpleasant for her. I am trying to be as calm as possible for her and keep things as normal as possible.

I am still praying for her miracle that the biopsy is benign.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meals: After Joseph had his abdominal surgery, I fed him 3-4 times a day. That helped him start gaining back a little weight without taxing his operated-on innards :) .

Tramadol: Yes, it does seem to make some dogs restless. One of my dogs did best on it if I started with a half dose and gave the second half 1-2 hours later. Don't know if that would be worth trying in your case, or if it would make as much sense to try a slightly lower dose.

So nice to see a good report!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It sounds like things are coming along well, surely cabin fever is a good sign!

Carl, too, finds a lot of comfort in his muzzle, it was a key tool in helping him overcome his SA.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Small frequent meals are always a good idea after any major surgery. I would actually stop the tramadol at this point- her big ouchies should be behind her by now. A splenectomy is really not more invasive than a spay.

Still hoping to hear her a benign path report.

Rainey was terrible on Tramadol, was anxious as all get-out.

continuing to send more prayers for your sweet girl!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway