Run Of The Mill Diarrhea Treatment

Guest mainesue

Guest mainesue

Maggie just started with diarrhea last night - my other dog (Boston Terrier) has been recovering from a bout, too. Is rice and boiled hamburger OK for greyhounds, for starters?

Guest greysmitten

From what I know of other breeds, choosing something leaner like chicken with the rice might yield better results. Good luck. Poopy dogs are a handful. Sometimes two. Pun intended?

Whenever I have had to deal with this, in non-grey or grey... I serve up about 1/4-1/2 cup cooked white rice as an immediate snack. Then I add another 1/4-1/2 cup or so to the next regular meal (reducing the meal a bit because of the addition of the rice) and then perhaps for the next meal also. I don't find I usually have to go beyond this. And I do feed twice a day - kibble in the morning, canned dog food at night. Would I serve boiled ground beef with the rice? No, it's too fatty. Plus I serve the rice with the regular meals so there's no need to add cooked ground beef to anything. And if the dog isn't accustomed to this meat, it would possibly (I really want to say "probably" but I have no personal experience to support that thought, LOL!) make the diarrhea worse. The rice, even if they've never been served it before, will be accepted by their bodies and will begin its magic.

Good luck!

Edit: Is it odd that they both have the same problem? Although Summer is an only child now, I have had two dogs in the past and if one had diarrhea, the other didn't acquire it. Hopefully someone with more "poop experience" with multiple dogs will jump in.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Rice and hamburger is fine if that's what you have on hand. I've had better luck with pasta or potato as the starch. The rice tends to go through without being digested. Te main thing with the protein is that it be low fat - so boiling the hamburger will take a lot of that out.

I would probably fast everyone fo at least two meals before starting up feeding them small amounts several times a day. If the diarrhea continues after that, a trip to the vet might be in order.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rice and hamburger is fine if that's what you have on hand. I've had better luck with pasta or potato as the starch. The rice tends to go through without being digested. Te main thing with the protein is that it be low fat - so boiling the hamburger will take a lot of that out.

I would probably fast everyone fo at least two meals before starting up feeding them small amounts several times a day. If the diarrhea continues after that, a trip to the vet might be in order.

I agree, rice and hamburger is fine and if you use either the 85 or 90% you should just be able to saute it until it is done - don't need to boil it. You might also want to try some oatmeal (5-minute type) as it provides more fiber and can get things firmed up.

If the diarrhea goes on 2 to 3 days then it is time for the vet, if the poop starts having blood, or there is vomiting, or your pet stops drinking water then you need to get the vet as ASAP.

I start with some Immodium myself, and continue with a dog's normal diet.

Give the OP has another dog who also ahd diarrhea, I'd be concerned about giardia or coccidia or something like that, and take a stool sample off to the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

been there, i hate w/ bugs are passed from dog to dog. i do over cooked WHITE rice and ground chop meat- a 1 to 5 ration(rice higher) and keep them on it for a while. i do touch base w/ my vet if it's really nasty- lots of poops squirting out then i generally give kaopectate caplets or immodium if he tells me to. otherwise i wait it out, w/ a bland diet. it doesn't cost $$ to call...

Greyhound Gang has info to help with diarrhea, naturally.

Visit Greyhound Gang, go to LEARN. click on Medical, and then click on Diarrhea. Much info about a variety of remedies.

Here's the direct link.

I like Slippery Elm gel. You buy Slippery Elm capsules. You boil some water, open some capsules, put in water. pull off heat. stir and stir and stir. Then i syringe down throat and put in food. It coats the intestinal tract, and reduces inflammation and soothes. I always keep some in my fridge.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Slippery Elm

get it at your health food store, in capsules. open up the capsules until you have about 3 table spoons of the stuff. get HOT tap water, mix together until

you have a thin Pudding texture. all the slippery elm should be dissolved. give your hound a syringe full (NOT with a needle) it's just an easy way

to get them to swallow it,, syringe (or two) before every meal ,,,

better detail description on Claudia's web site: www.greyhoundgang.org under medical I think...

ANYWAY,, IT WORKS WONDERS!!! and it's cheap, and you can mix up a bunch, keep it in the frige and just give it to them when you need to.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest mcsheltie

I am not a fan of Imodium unless I know the reason for the diarrhea. Diarrhea is natures way of quickly removing a problem from the body. If the cause is food related, anything from a bad bag of food to just a few spoiled pieces; bacterial or viral you don't want to slow down the digestive tract. If the cause is known and the dog is starting to get dehydrated then Imodium has its place.

Since both dogs have it you need to find out why. Giardia, worms, Clostridium, Coccidia, try a new bag of food (make sure you get a different lot number) viral (last year a virus that lasted 24-48 hours made it rounds causing diarrhea and vomiting) are all things to consider.

ETA: I usually look for the cause before I change their diet. I look at that as a band-aid. I want to know why.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest oldNELLIE

As others have said, I like pasta or potato or oatmeal for the starch more than rice. The rice passes right through Nellie without breaking down (and I thought diarrhea was gross to clean up before learning that... :lol ) If I only have rice on hand I break it down with an immersion blender before mixing it is with her kibble or meat.

I also have had great luck with the canned Science Diet I/D from the vet. We usually have one or two cans around and I give 1/3 a can with a little kibble to start, then up the ratio of kibble as things improve.

I am not a fan of Imodium unless I know the reason for the diarrhea. Diarrhea is natures way of quickly removing a problem from the body. If the cause is food related, anything from a bad bag of food to just a few spoiled pieces; bacterial or viral you don't want to slow down the digestive tract. If the cause is known and the dog is starting to get dehydrated then Imodium has its place.

Since both dogs have it you need to find why. Giardia, worms, Clostridium, try a new bag of food (make sure you get a different lot number) viral (last year a virus that lasted 24-48 hours made it rounds causing diarrhea and vomiting) are all things to consider.

ETA: I usually look for the cause before I change their diet. I look at that as a band-aid. I want to know why.

I agree with Julie.

What we do in our house is when diarrhea begins, we give two metamucil wafers, then bland diet. I've had good luck with sweet potatoes and protein (boiled chicken or whatever).

Good luck and hope you can get the cause worked out.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest buttonwillow

For Josie, normally the diarrhea is because I was too cavalier switching foods. She is a sensitive flower :lol

So, anyway, I fast 12 hours then give pumpkin and rice. If diarrhea continues I add chicken to the pumpkin/rice, give Pepto Bismol (once) and free feed no-sodium chicken broth. If she still has diarrhea after 72 hours I call the vet.

I make Henry a combination of white rice, chicken baby food, and Pedialyte when he has the Big D. I call it "monster mash." I like this combo because it helps him to stay hydrated while giving him a good supply of nutrients. If it's real bad, I use Immodium AD.