Limping Rant

krissy

So Summit has had a chronic, mild, intermittent limp on his left front since I got him 13 months ago. I've had it sort of looked at, but not indepth. He's so stoic it's hard to figure out exactly what hurts. He doesn't seem to have corns and he's on a joint food so arthritis shouldn't be bugging him TOO much (especially since he trained but never raced). Every once in awhile it flares up like back in September and he'll be quite lame. But since I know that leg is an issue sometimes I just leave it alone for a few days. If it's not better in a few days then I start worrying if it's a new limp and whether I need to look into it.

Well now he's limping on his left hind. Not profoundly but quite noticably. First thing in the morning and right when I get home (so any time he's been laying down for a long time) he will be quite lame and difficult to get going on his walk. Once he gets going he still limps but at least he doesn't drag behind me.

Anyway, at 6.5 I'm obviously concerned about any new, unexplained lameness. Fortunately this week I'm on orthopedic surgery so he's hanging out today until the afternoon when we're out of surgeries so he can get a full orthopedic exam. I'd at least like to know where on his leg he hurts so I can get x-rays. I'm not x-raying his WHOLE leg... too expensive because they're so long. Bleh. And I've been having trouble with his pannus eye drops recently too. [sigh]

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Let's hope it's nothing serious. We all know the concerns of limping and it can be many things.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know the fear of a limp. But, it is my understanding that the amount of supplements in a joint food is simply inadequate. Do you have him on anything else? One of my dogs only raced twice and then retired, for obvious reasons. He gets gimpy sometimes, too. My female wonked up her shoulder playing - hard stops and turns. Same side as her broken hock. Ugh.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I supplement with a good joint mixture, as well as fish oil capsules.

We started doing this when BillieJean ...our GSD ...was about 7 years old and have just done it with every dog we've had.

Billie Jean did not develop any hip issues until she was about 12 ....and she was 14 1/2 when she went to the Bridge this past summer and still managed fairly well.

Was this due to her getting good supplements?

Of course we don't know, but I'm not willing to take a chance....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Unless you can get a vet to palpate a soft-tissue issue (hoping some of the GH track trainers will chime in here to give you ideas for back leg issues), I don't think you're going to get a satisfactory answer without a full set of films, toes to spine, including hips. It sounds like you work at a vets office. If so, why is doing x-rays a problem?

you should also check the pads carefully for corns after looking at some other corn threads to know what you're looking for.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

He is on J/D which has come out of full clinical trials with some very good results. Our orthopedic surgeon here at school recommended it based on his experience with it and the results of the clinical trials which he was quite happy with. Mind you, I only feed half joint diet and half IAMS (because I can't turn down free food at this point). However, the Science Diet equivalent has only 1/3 the amount of chondroprotectants in it and in clinical trials that one also showed some significant improvement in lameness of arthritic dogs, so if I feed 1/2 J/D I'm still potentially getting good benefit out of it. It's been shown that supplementing is equal to feeding a good joint diet... i.e. they have variable benefit in individual dogs, some see an improvement and some see no change.

We're doing a full orthopedic exam on him to evaluate the lameness and determine which bones or joints are involved. I would then get rads of just that area. There's really no point doing a full series of x-rays if I know that his hips aren't bothering him. It's just using up money that I might need to deal with whatever is going on with him. And besides, I pay tutition to be cheap labour and get no discount because they scrapped the student/staff benefits about 2 years ago. We may end up having to do joint blocks on him like a horse because he's so stoic. He honestly has absolutely no response to pain except to limp, so we may have to block out different areas until he stops limping which will tell us what hurts.

It's also possible it is a soft tissue injury but I highly doubt it. I've been on surgery for the last week which means 2-3 super quick walks for the dog and no runs (I'm here from 7AM until 9PM). He hasn't had an opportunity to really pull anything. It's still a possibility, but it's not very likely.

I'm really hoping this is just arthritis acting up. I can't imagine what else it is. Well, I can, but I choose not to. Of course, my other motto when it comes to limps in a greyhound is that it's osteo until proven otherwise. :(

ETA: I really don't think it's corns. I've hulled some corns on greyhounds and he doesn't have anything that really makes me suspicious. I did check because that was one of my first thoughts.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest KennelMom

I worry less about limps that get better with movement vs limps that persist no matter how "warmed up" the dog is, with respect to osteo. Plus his age is pretty young (though not impossible for osteo to appear that young). Fingers crossed that it's "just" something like arthritis. :goodluck FWIW, back in our kibble days, our arthritic dogs did LOADS better on grain free foods. We were even able to stop the joint supplements.

Corns can also cause limping long before you ever see one surface. Old toe injuries can also cause some recurring lameness, esp in cold weather. Usually it's in greyhounds w/really knobby toes though, that you can tell have been injured/healed/injured/healed/etc.

Edited by KennelMom

I worry less about limps that get better with movement vs limps that persist no matter how "warmed up" the dog is, with respect to osteo. Plus his age is pretty young (though not impossible for osteo to appear that young). Fingers crossed that it's "just" something like arthritis. :goodluck FWIW, back in our kibble days, our arthritic dogs did LOADS better on grain free foods. We were even able to stop the joint supplements.

Corns can also cause limping long before you ever see one surface. Old toe injuries can also cause some recurring lameness, esp in cold weather. Usually it's in greyhounds w/really knobby toes though, that you can tell have been injured/healed/injured/healed/etc.

He's got one of those knobby toes on his right hind that I had checked out and is just arthritic. But his left hind has nice normal toes.

The limp doesn't go away or get better when he's warmed up, he just seems more willing to keep up with me. Going up the stairs (we live in a basement apartment) the last few days as been slow. Normally he charges up the stairs. The last 2 days he has been very plodding and deliberate on the stairs, and even just standing he keeps his weight off that back left foot. It's still on the ground, he isn't holding it up, but his weight is clearly shifted off it.

He is young for osteo, but he's still in range so I do worry. He has no pain response to me pressing on his bones in all the usual locations for osteo which is good. It's just very strange and frustrating and I wish I knew what was wrong.

Like us on Facebook!

You're not still at OSU, are you? If so, Dr. Dyce is your man, orthopedic man, that is. Not just ortho, but greyhound ortho.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

You're not still at OSU, are you? If so, Dr. Dyce is your man, orthopedic man, that is. Not just ortho, but greyhound ortho.

No, I'm back home at OVC. We have a fantastic orthopedic surgeon and I am pretty impressed with his greyhound knowledge. He's not an expert or anything, but he certainly does know a thing or two about the breed as relates to orthopedics.

He gave me a 7 day supply of Deramaxx to try. We were really totally unable to isolate the lameness to a given joint. None of his long bones cause any pain so 99% sure it's not osteo (yay!) but the best guess is that it is arthritis. Of course, not really sure why the sudden onset with no real recent exercise. Could be the recent cold weather, though I would have expected his left front to be the one he favours in that case since he is lame on that one intermittently and has never shown any lameness on this hind leg.

Frustrating, but fortunately appears to be nothing major which is always good.

ETA: I did meet Dr. Dyce when I was at OSU though and I was informed that he is the greyhound ortho god... in the same league of Dr. Couto's greyhound medicine godliness. :)

Edited by krissy

Like us on Facebook!

So sort of good news - we'll take it! Sorry you could not locate the exact location of his pain.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

ETA: I did meet Dr. Dyce when I was at OSU though and I was informed that he is the greyhound ortho god... in the same league of Dr. Couto's greyhound medicine godliness. :)

Yes indeedy. smile.gif Also with a cute little accent. wub.gif

I hope the deramax helps. Any idea why Summit didn't race? Maybe it's something he's always had & it nags him from time to time. Maybe not enough exercise?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

They checked his back. I think he thoroughly enjoyed his back "massage".

We have no idea why he never raced. I have a few guesses... injury, interference, low prey drive.

I've noticed that the cold pavement makes him hobble like heck though. I put his boots on this morning and that really helped. This afternoon I think I really noticed the Deramaxx kick in because he was prancing around at school with me almost completely sound. Guess I need to make an hour trip to my vet back home who does things cheap for me... get me a tonne of Deramaxx to last 5 months until I graduate.

Still totally baffled about the sudden onset in a leg he has never been lame on before... but just glad it's not badness.

Like us on Facebook!

krissy-- just a reminder. If you think he'll be on long term NSAIDs and $$ is tight switch to Mobic (assuming he weighs enough)-- last I saw its still on the Walmart & Target $4 list!!

I don't think we have that in Canada... I've never heard of it?

Like us on Facebook!

krissy-- just a reminder. If you think he'll be on long term NSAIDs and $$ is tight switch to Mobic (assuming he weighs enough)-- last I saw its still on the Walmart & Target $4 list!!

It's the human version of Metacam. It's available in 7.5mg and 15mg tablets. Most hounds (75lb ish) would take 1/2 of a 7.5mg po qd.

krissy-- just a reminder. If you think he'll be on long term NSAIDs and $ is tight switch to Mobic (assuming he weighs enough)-- last I saw its still on the Walmart & Target $4 list!!

It's the human version of Metacam. It's available in 7.5mg and 15mg tablets. Most hounds (75lb ish) would take 1/2 of a 7.5mg po qd.

The generic name is meloxicam, if that helps. It can be a little bit crumbly, but you should be able to cut it in half with a pill cutter. I think it might be marketed as Mobicox in Canada.

Edited by joejoesmom

I hope your pup feels better soon. Our own experiences with FedX:

1) after adopting him at 2yrs old he was limping, he has a bulbous arthritic toe on his hind leg. Rainy weather bothered him a lot more.

Pain meds helped him during the bad days, he didn't need much else on normal days. Gravel or uneven surfaces (woodsy trails) bothered his toe. We have him on glycoflex joint supplements.

2) at 6yo he started with an occasional limp when he went on prednisone briefly. Stopped the pred, no more problems, then one fatefull day he ran and hurt him leg. Osteo. Low pressure (rainy/snowy) days bother him much more.

If he is limping it definatly gets better as he walks and stretches both before and after osteo.