How Long Can Food Sit

Mystella

So my sweet Jeffy is a bit of a PITA about food. He is very thin. When fed he often will eat a bit of his food then stop. If I leave it down he will often go back and eat more later, usually all of it over about 3 trips to the bowl. I won't go into the whole long story but I have been through a bunch of food stuff with him and the 'give him his food for 10 minutes then take it away' doesn't work. It doesnt make him eat, just makes him puke bile a few hours later when he is hungry and he can't afford the weight loss.

He doesnt ever overeat so he would be a perfect candidate for free feeding. But he can't eat dry food, it needs to be wet and I've been told you can't leave wet food out. Why is that? How long can it be left out for and be okay for him to eat?

If I give him his morning allotment and was able to leave it for him then by mid afternoon it would be gone and his supper allotment would be eaten by bed time.

I've tried breaking it into smaller feedings, morning, supper and late evening but no matter he will always only eat part of it then be hungry again later.

Oh and hi everyone :wave missed ya

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I would think, just by going people food guidelines, that at least two hours would be okay. Wait, I should ask, are you talking kibble made wet, canned food or people food? I'm not sure why there would be a limit on kibble moistened with water.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Yup wet kibble, I wasn't sure why either but keep hearing you can't leave it out. Sometimes a scoop of canned food on top or bits of sweet potato or something.

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Honestly, I think you can leave food out for a whole day and it'll be fine. Especially if it's dry kibble that you wet every time you feed it. But then, I'm not one of those people who thinks "OMG, those left overs have been in the fridge for 3 days and you're going to eat it?" (that's my BF). As far as I'm concerned if the food looks okay, smells okay and (for people food) tastes okay... it's okay. People like my BF though won't touch the leftovers if they're more than a day old, yogurt is no good after a week, and his mom told me that when he was in college he threw out almost an entire carton of eggs because they were a week old.

We all have our comfort zone I guess. :lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I am not really worried about spoilage, it is just water and kibble but vaguely thought it was some sort of increased bloat risk, not sure though, so I thought I'd ask.

Shouldn't be any increased bloat risk.

I'd *recommend* couple hours max, but if it's eating vs not eating and it doesn't make him sick, do what you have to do. I'd probably pitch it and put out new after 8-10 hours.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I think what you are doing is just fine. And it works for him!

I've left raw out that long with no ill effects. Several times the cats didn't finish dinner and the dogs got it the next morning before I did.

I feed raw but sometimes the cats don't finish their food and the dogs get "treats" the next day. The dogs generally don't leave much in their bowls. :P

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Thanks everyone, 4 hours would cover it at max he likes to eat a couple bits, go do something else, come back later and eat a couple more etc.

Now I won't have to be worrying about it all the time (I'll just find something new to worry about :lol )

:kiss2

Guest verthib

What about trying a teaspoon of canned food? My girl was just like your boy and a little dollop of canned food did the trick. Or try another dry brand that he likes better?

As long as it is not cooked in a crockpot pre-feeding I'd say any moistened kibble should be fine for 4 hours. :P

If there is leftover soaked kibble mix in a bit of canned or goodies and serve that as the next meal. If he still won't eat it toss it (in my case over the fence to the neighbors very grateful outside dogs) and start fresh.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg