He's Happy....right?

Ryder is a very quiet dog, and a very good dog. Kasey doesn't think much of Ryder. During the day they barely acknowledge eachother. Kasey really is a butthead to him and still thinks he's the only dog in the house.

They must have some discussions during the day when we aren't home.

I came home today after work (hubby had to work late so I made it there as soon as I could). They usually get really excited about us coming home, but wow, that was something about an hour ago.

Ryder kisses to greet me, Kasey grabs his bear, I put coats on and get ready to walk. I open the porch door....all hell breaks loose.

Ryder bows, wags his tail and starts barking his head off to Kasey. I couldn't stop laughing, and eventually got him to calm down enough to start walking down the street. Doesn't he continue to bark at Kasey half way down the road. This is happy behaviour right?

Kasey turned around and snapped at him.... :rolleyes:

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My two are polar opposites. I brought them into my life together....but they had only been housed in the same area for a few days...before I threw them in an SUV and drove them home 24 hours. JJ is boisterous, playful, talkative. Dustin is quiet and reserved. JJ steals all the toys and lets Dustin play with only what he doesn't want.....but on occassion, something strikes Dustin and he stands and barks at JJ who just looks at him like he's nuts.

The difference in my case is that JJ actually really loves Dustin despite believing that everything in the house belongs to him first!

I think it's just personaltiy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I think the translation is "Mom likes me best....nah nah nah nahhhh nah nah.......:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Bella is a bit "agressive playful" with a grey named Paxton at our playgroup. One day he finally snapped and stood there barking his head of for litterally about 2 minutes, I'm pretty sure he was saying "Stop it you annoying meanie, I've had enough of your shat!" :lol

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby took some video of them on their walk after I mentioned Ryder's behaviour on the porch.

The video doesn't show Ryder barking like mad on the porch like he does for me, but it does show the interaction between the boys on their first walk after being cooped up in the house - due to us working.

So is "going at it" like this normal? Does it look like they are playing or fighting? Are they happy?

th_FILE0008-3.jpg

th_FILE0009-2.jpg

Proudly owned by:

It looks to me to Ryder is highly excitable and Kasey is trying to teach him some manners. Kasey is doing a good job of correcting Ryder, Ryder is just a little slow on the uptake to figure out that's what Kasey is doing. I'd watch them closely for a while, continue to let Kasey correct Ryder until Ryder figures out that the hyper playing is irritating Kasey. You can see Kasey was serious when the leg went up at Ryder and by the fact that Kasey was trying to get away and couldn't. I might in the beginning, walk with one dog on one side and one on the other until Ryder calms down a little bit and then let them walk side by side. They were doing a good job towards the end of the video.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Do you have a safe place to let them off-leash to run off some steam? That's the feeling I'm getting, that they just need to let loose and be dogs, even for 10 minutes.

They are both gorgeous.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I agree with finding them a safe place to run off leash for a bit. I suspect the behaviour may continue so watch for any escalations and be ready to step in.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We do not have a yard to let them run. But the odd thing is. If we take them to a park or to my parents house, Ryder just stands there.

The only way I have found for Ryder to blow off steam is to go into our spacious basement with concrete flooring and let him run around a bit, hoping he doesn't slam into the support beams (I would like to find some cushions that they put on football poles in all honesty). The other problem with this....I take them for a walk to go pee first and foremost. I would like to go in the basement to have him play before pee, but it's 8 hours before he last went and don't want him to wait even longer to go.

Kasey tries to mind his own business and Ryder just barks at him - I'd say the barking at him is a new thing. I truly think Ryder wants to play with Kasey and Kasey wants none of it. He really is quite the bully to Ryder, and I added the vid because I can't honestly tell if they are trying to have fun or if one is bothered by the other, so thank you for your input.

Any other suggestions? It's the "I gotta go pee" thing at the end of the day that worries me, or I would take them out separately when I get home. They've been cooped up all day and I know Ryder especially wants to air out his boredum.

Any suggestions I should do during the day to keep Ryder occupied when we aren't home maybe?

Edit: I wanted to add, Kasey is putting his paw up and slapping Ryder more regularly, he did it to Ryder on Thursday and yesterday. I know it's dangerous because of nails, and he smacked the back of his head/neck. I said enough and they both calmed down immediately and we proceeded with our walk.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Is there a playgroup in your area? You're welcome to join us if you'd ike to make the trip but I'm sure there are groups that are much closer.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Unfortunately no close groups that I am aware of....I'm defining close as under a half hour. We have gone to the South Simcoe group run a couple of times, but it's far to go on a regular basis. I know there is a run in Acton on Sunday's only, but we haven't been in ages. Ryder sticks to us like glue when we go out too. It's Kasey that is the mental runner!

Proudly owned by:

Since you have no back yard, I would start to correct Ryder when he starts to bark at Kasey and get in his face like that when you're trying to walk them. In the house I'd let Kasey correct him on his own but since they need to walk and do their business, walking should be all business and save the playing for in the house. Kasey is trying his best to get across to Ryder that he's not interested in playing, Ryder just isn't picking up on the signals, he's misinterpreting them as play, so I'd step in and correct Ryder when walking.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest tinams8

I think you're right that he wants to play, but I agree with Kasey- that is not appropriate on-lead behavior. I would discourage it. Off leash they can work it out themselves. One easy way to have a little more control is to shorten up the leads to maybe 18-24" until they get into the walk and calm down. Probably only a block or two.

It certainly sucks for them to act that way on lead, but that wasn't really my ultimate question/problem.

I have two thoughts on the walking on lead behaviour. While I don't think it's a good idea because we are walking, it's really the only time they can be "dogs" together in a controlled environment. I want Ryder to get his "frustrations" out for lack of a better word, while we are outside and they are muzzled, the problem is I lack a yard for them to do this in, therefore we have allowed it once released from the house. Kasey is the boss in the house, and Ryder doesn't dare do anything to piss him off, so outside on our walk is a neutral territory. I agree they shouldn't learn this habit on lead, but they settle right away when we tell them to, and I agree it is lessened if we shorten the leads. You should see Ryder look over at Kasey when they are walking on either side....he's just gunning for him!

I was more looking for comments about their behaviour in general, and seems like the concensus is Ryder is playful and Kasey could care less. I just hope it is a Happy Ryder and not a Mad Ryder. With both those tails wipping around, I can't help but think this is play behaviour, but since they don't play together, I really have no idea what to look for or prevent escalation. So Kasey pawing him on the head is bad. Check. However, he's telling Ryder to stop, and then it pretty much cools down.

Do dogs generally do this outside when released to play? My boys are complete opposites, and don't care for eachother at all when in the house. In the basement if we run around and play, Ryder chases right behind me and Kasey is right up on the back of Ryder ready to tackle him and I don't think it's play at all, I think he's trying to kill him! I'll try to capture basement playing if I am able, because I would really like to learn about their behaviour/interactions.

Proudly owned by:

Ryder is definitely happy. All his behavior points to I wanna play! Kasey is the fun police, he wants no part of it. If they were turned loose in an enclosed ball park or somewhere like that you would find them running like crazy, Kasey would probably try and stop Ryder and at some point irritate him to the point that Ryder would tell Kasey off and at that point you might see they come to a truce. That's what has happened around here when a new dog joins the family.

Ryder is definitely happy. All his behavior points to I wanna play! Kasey is the fun police, he wants no part of it. If they were turned loose in an enclosed ball park or somewhere like that you would find them running like crazy, Kasey would probably try and stop Ryder and at some point irritate him to the point that Ryder would tell Kasey off and at that point you might see they come to a truce. That's what has happened around here when a new dog joins the family.

Thank you for this observation. It's much appreciated.

Proudly owned by:

How's about you just say "screw it!" and give me Kasey? ;):lol Ah Commom!

I would only hope Ryder would tell Kasey off...what a turn of foot that would be in the house. Mr. Kasey and I Want it My Way or the Highway!

Do you think Bella could make them cut it out?! LOL

Proudly owned by:

I would only hope Ryder would tell Kasey off...what a turn of foot that would be in the house. Mr. Kasey and I Want it My Way or the Highway!

Oh God no! She'd egg them on. "Yeah, Yeah...fight, slap each other! Let's take our muzzles off and really get into it!", that's what she'd say. She's the crazy one at playgroup, she MUST run faster than all the greys, and if a greyhound decides to roll around on the ground, she stands over them and starts nipping them in the neck while barking :rolleyes:

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Oh God no! She'd egg them on. "Yeah, Yeah...fight, slap each other! Let's take our muzzles off and really get into it!", that's what she'd say. She's the crazy one at playgroup, she MUST run faster than all the greys, and if a greyhound decides to roll around on the ground, she stands over them and starts nipping them in the neck while barking :rolleyes:

LOL Kasey is a troublemaker and instigator like that too.

Proudly owned by:

I wanted to start another thread but decided to expand on this one because it is related.

Has anyone here trained their dog to WALK on a treadmill?

I don't want a treadmill to run him, but I was getting to thinking about putting him on a treadmill to walk at the fast pace we walk at to get his energy out. Especially in these winter months when we can't walk as far as we are used to. Any success?

I really wonder if it would make him happier and am really willing to try it out. I bet after the Christmas rush, when people realize their treadmills are fantastic clothes hangers I might be able to pick up a used one cheaper than a new one.

Thoughts?

Proudly owned by: