Unsuspected Collar Danger...

Josie

NancyB Tag Collars Here are the NancyB tag collars I've been so pleased with. I've got style one. These have enough heft that you can grab a collar in a emergency. Three hounds have been wearing them for about a year with no snags or catching on anything.

I like the colors of velvet as well. There is a color to accentuate any hound.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

We have NancyB velvet tag collars here. The big kids do have tags that jingle, but the iggies (who are crated when I'm not home) have the slide on tags. Because I like to know where they are (and what they're getting into), I bought tiny cat bells for them to wear.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greyers

Check out these tag collars at http://www.carpecane...index.php/cat_6. They are attractive, comfie for the hound, and break away if the pup gets caught up in it.

I love this design. I have always wanted to get a "tag bag" so I can stuff the three-4 tags I have for them in a pouch and be jingle free. Do you have the braided or the ones with the stones?

I have both, but prefer the simpler, braided one with a stone on the tag-bag. And yes, you can stuff 3-4 tags in there! Wendy's license, microchip, and I.D. tags are in there with room to spare.

THANKS! I ORDER ONE FOR EACH PUP TONIGHT. I'm excited!

Guest 4dogscrazy

I use the Premier Keepsafe break-a-way collar when I'm not with them and they're home free.

I do too, love them. Very sturdy and you can still get them by the collar gently. When they breakaway you just snap them back together. Martingales for walks only.

Whoops just saw you already found some :)

Edited by 4dogscrazy

I recently ordered the Dave Engraves collars for my two dogs. I like them a lot. These do have a D ring but it is tiny. You can't even clip a leash to it. A hound might get a nail caught in it but it would be unlikely. I'm quite satisfied with these. However, I leave the tags on their walking collars. I don't like tags hanging down to catch on things.

We have the these also. I ask to have mine made without the D ring and they make them no problem. My bridge girl got her dewclaw caught in the D ring of a collar and broke it before we could help her ( we were home when it happened), so nothing with a D ring here. I have both home phone an cell phone numbers on the collars, no tags.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

We use these reflective embroidered ID collars (no ring) 24/7. I've had drivers stop to tell me they could see my hounds' collars from over 3 blocks away at night. Available in many colors, but the picture on the Web site doesn't do them justice. The reflective material is whitish-silvery and our hounds' embroidered thread color is black. This color contrast works best. A person can read the phone number from a far if a hound won't let anyone catch them. Also, we have our cell # on the collars. Reason: If a hound is on the loose, hopefully, the owners are out looking for them (not sitting at home by the phone).

Reflective Embroidered ID Collar link: http://www.fancyk9s.com/collar/identification

Like others, I leave the leash attached to the Martingales when I remove the Martingale collars after every outing.

I know a lot of people have had good luck with break-aways but the ones I've tried fall off too easily. Hopefully, some of the ones recommended here are stronger.

I began making tag collars for my dogs for that very reason - and so many people said 'you should sell those' that now I have them in my Etsy shop.

However .. be aware that if you use the loose necklace type, it is possible for two dogs who curl up together or play rough together to get a foot caught in someone's necklace. It shouldn't be dangerous (because they'll either slip off over the head or break in the intended manner) but it might be a reason to choose a closer fitting style.

For that reason, I now do two styles of necklace - the loose type (which Sid wears) and the velour tubing type which sits a little higher and tighter (which Ranger wears).

The loose type fit more like Mo's (Longdog Leatherworks) leather bolos. And her collars are great - we've had several of those here too! :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ivy and Soldi used LongDog Leatherworks collars and other leather collars. They only wore them during walks...at home they never wore collars.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I just order a leather tag collar from Dave engraves :thumbs-up

thanks for all your reply, advices and kind words!

and this morning I did not forget to take off Otis martingale :)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I recently ordered the Dave Engraves collars for my two dogs. I like them a lot. These do have a D ring but it is tiny. You can't even clip a leash to it. A hound might get a nail caught in it but it would be unlikely. I'm quite satisfied with these. However, I leave the tags on their walking collars. I don't like tags hanging down to catch on things.

We have the these also. I ask to have mine made without the D ring and they make them no problem. My bridge girl got her dewclaw caught in the D ring of a collar and broke it before we could help her ( we were home when it happened), so nothing with a D ring here. I have both home phone an cell phone numbers on the collars, no tags.

Thanks for the tip - I was wondering if they were able to do that - I've just emailed them to ask that no D-rings get attached to either of the collars we just ordered. Martingales will be on for walks and outside excursions, but these little things will be on indoors w/ no tags ever. I'm guessing in case of emergency, if someone needed to get a leash on, they could hook it directly onto the collar (if the d-ring they use isn't big enough for leash attachment).

Thanks again, all! Our girl has a super-sensitive neck, so we've been taking off both their collars anytime they're indoors, but we've been super nervous about them getting outside without anything on (both are chipped, though). Great solutions!

Guest Flysmom

Poor Otis!!!

Just like all the others said Tagcollar! I bought thin Nylon Collars at Walmart and put their Home Again Tag on there and a little brass plate with their name and my Cell number.

Poncho had a scare with his Martingale also. He licked a plate in the dishwasher (Gross, but I have the Sanitizing Cycle on... :blush ), and the D ring got caught in the lower rack, a few broken dishes, a broken dishwasher rack and a scared Poncho later, they will no longer wear their Martingales in the house.

Hugs to you all!!!

For readers who haven't already made up their minds, any nonbreaking collar can be unsafe to leave on an unattended dog, particularly one that is crated but also in other circumstances. Any collar can catch on cabinet knobs, other dogs' jaws or feet, fence parts, etc.

Many of the marketed tag collars have an adjustment feature, which means that the collar does have a loop that can tighten and strangle the dog if caught.

Loose-fitting necklace-type collars may be safer in some instances but are more dangerous in others as they are more apt to get caught on things that the dog may not be able to back out of.

The safest nonbreaking collar is a close-fitting hunting collar with a flat ring, made of stiff material. Close fit minimizes chances of catching on things. Flat ring + stiff material allows the collar to pivot and potentially slip off if the dog gets hung up on something.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

For readers who haven't already made up their minds, any nonbreaking collar can be unsafe to leave on an unattended dog, particularly one that is crated but also in other circumstances. Any collar can catch on cabinet knobs, other dogs' jaws or feet, fence parts, etc.

Many of the marketed tag collars have an adjustment feature, which means that the collar does have a loop that can tighten and strangle the dog if caught.

Loose-fitting necklace-type collars may be safer in some instances but are more dangerous in others as they are more apt to get caught on things that the dog may not be able to back out of.

The safest non-breaking collar is a close-fitting hunting collar with a flat ring, made of stiff material. Close fit minimizes chances of catching on things. Flat ring + stiff material allows the collar to pivot and potentially slip off if the dog gets hung up on something.

YES! Very well said. Our dogs currently go naked b/c that works for us, but before that I tried all manner of tag collars from the necklace kind to the thin, flat, no d-ring, no dangley tags and had hangs ups happen with ALL of them. Thank God I was there to extricate each dog.

The bottom line is that if the collar doesn't break away, it can choke a dog to death. Everyone has to weigh the risks of each collar or no collar option.

Edited by KennelMom

We never have our martingales on in the house. They are attached to their leashes which we keep hanging by the front door. They all wear break away bolo collars by long dog leather with all their tags in a tag bag. They are chipped as well.

The biggest problem with the break away is that they do indeed break away- God forbid your dog gets out and runs- it's very possible for the break away to do what it;s supposed to do- break away which means you have a dog loose and no ID.

just

I can't tell you how many times my dogs have come in from going potty out back and come in with no tags.

And this is not just a leather collar- it's happened with other types as well.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project