Introducing Gracie & I

Guest amazing_gracie

Guest amazing_gracie

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and would like to introduce myself and my greyhound.

Gracie is our first greyhound. She is a lovely 65 pound 4 year old female. Black with white ticking, toes and chest and impressive ears that stand fully erect when she is alert. She has been with us (my hubby and I) since November 7, 2010. We brought her home the day after she arrived in NJ from the Ebro track in Florida.

When Gracie first came to us, she had gingivitis, impacted earwax, very long toenails, and bald thighs and butt. I'm

happy to say that within 6 months all of these were

remedied and she is a picture of health. She had some

issues with mild separation anxiety in the first couple of

months, but learned that she got goodies when she was alone. Now she naps on the couch when we're not home. She had to learn how to navigate stairs and shiny

hardwood floors and how to jump into the car. With

consistency, praise and lots of yummy treats, we built up

Gracie's confidence. She knows her name, "come," "wait,"

"down," "inside," and walks very nicely on leash. We are

working on "sit."

Gracie loves other greyhounds, though she doesn't often get to hang out with her own kind. She is tentative with other large dogs (usually wants to play, some seem to make her want to attack them), but really seems to want to

make a snack of small fluffy dogs, especially yappy ones.

Gracie's favorite person is my hubby - she chose him when we went to the adoption event. He is not much of a dog

person - or I should say *was* not. Gracie quickly won him

over. She gives him that adoring stare, is overjoyed when

he gets home. :) I, on the other hand, am the leader and primary caregiver. She obeys me more and I set the rules.

About me: I work part-time at a bank, I enjoy taking walks at the park with my girl, classic movies, music, and literature, knitting, and spending time with my 5 year old nephew.

Glad to be here! I will be adding some pictures soon.

There really is nothing like a Greyhound to make us brag, at least IMO. It's a wonderful feeling to watch our Greys emerge from the effects of the track and bloom into wonderful companions. I've had my Annie Bella for only 2 months and I don't want to imagine my life without her.

Welcome, from one Gracie lover to another!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest amazing_gracie

Thank you, everyone! DesiRayMom & Feisty49, I think I can honestly say that helping and watching my girl blossom from an insecure track dog into a lovely part of the family is my proudest achievement. :D

• 2 weeks later...