Very Well Mannered Greyhound

Guest Iceman41

Guest Iceman41

Let me give a little background

We adopted our first grey 6 months ago. I am not new to dogs but new to greyhounds. So far she is a wonderful dog. She was never fostered we got her straight from the tracks in Florida.

She is 60 pound brindle female. She has became very attached or in love with me but also likes my wife. I have smaller dog ( jack russl chiwowo). My wife walks the big dog and I walk smaller dog. I think the wife is more a pack mate in julies eyes

When I go to work Julie won't eat till I come home but is ok hanging with the wife

I guess I am just saying I have good dog so far. She did snap at me for the waking up thing and she had bobo on her inner thigh I went to put neosporin on it and she screamed an grabbed my arm with her mouth.

She never leaves my side when I am home.

Oh ya she was real shy when we got her. Stupid things would spook her.

But she would lay on my couch in my man room while I play video games like call of duty and all those load shooters and not even flitch.

Anyway I am rambling

Sorry

Guest Iceman41

I'll work on that and thanks for the reply

I am sure that over the next few months as it gets cold (Pittsburgh) the wife and I will be taking some pics.

We are getting some pjs and a winter coat to play in the snow.

Have any dependable grey cloths sources?

I was told nonudehounds.com was ok

Congrats! Your girl sounds like a sweetheart. I like Voyager K9 Apparel.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Houndstown makes some really nice coats.

Julie sounds adorable. You'll find greyhounds make really awesome pets. Hope to see some pictures sometimes of your beautiful girl! Thanks for sharing her with us.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

She's gorgeous. I think someone needs a little work on recall though! ;)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One tip, dont raise your voice with her. If she is already shy and afraid of you, raising your voice and being firm with her will do nothing but reinforce her fear of you. Try getting down on the ground and making yourself small and use a high-pitched voice. You may have experience with dogs, but greyhounds are nothing like ANY "dog" that you have ever known. Just FYI...

Chad

Guest cwholsin

One tip, dont raise your voice with her. If she is already shy and afraid of you, raising your voice and being firm with her will do nothing but reinforce her fear of you. Try getting down on the ground and making yourself small and use a high-pitched voice. You may have experience with dogs, but greyhounds are nothing like ANY "dog" that you have ever known. Just FYI...

Chad

Chad, this advice pertains to ALL dogs... not just greyhounds huh.gif

Guest itsagreytlife

Great (and hilarious) video! She is really beautiful. I have had a lot of luck following dog guru Patricia McConnell's suggestions from her book The Other End of the Leash re: basic dog stuff, like the "come" command. Try this next time: Call your girl's name in a really excited voice (like something incredible is about to happen). At the same time make your body speak "dog" (apparently they are hyper aware of body language) by first bending over in a semi-play bow, clapping hands or slapping knees, then turn sideways, still calling to her excitedly, then start moving in the direction you want her to go. Makes sense really. Why would they come when we are just standing there going nowhere? My girl (had her only a couple of months) responds *almost* :rolleyes: everytime with this technique.

Good luck!

Maybe she's not afraid of her owner...perhaps it's the camera...

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Iceman41

She was afraid of the camera

Plus she is weird with pouch roof and the wind chimes

Thing over her head I posted a question here about it

She will duck coming under the roof

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds!! She's gorgeous (and so is your little man!) - looks a lot like my Cody girl.

(Cracked me up when you called her 'big Julie' - that's one of the gangsters in Guys & Dolls!! :P

Post more pix of both your pups when you get a chance - and enjoy her! You should see lots of changes over the next few months!

(PS you never know what will spook them - Cody was a very confident dog but was scared to death of balloons!! :blink: )

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Nice to see her in that video.

She was sending you a Calming Signal with that licking as she circled the bush at the back. It meant 'lay off harsh eye contact (camera) please, it's too intense right now."

There's a short article on Calming Signals in the link. The thing is... you can also send them to the dog to say that you get it.

Guest iconsmum

She's gorgeous. I think someone needs a little work on recall though! ;)

that's not a recall issue you're looking at. cameras can be scary to dogs, as can front-on approach and you're looking at both there - not recall issue at all.

She's beautiful and you would go far towards calming her if you get hold of an illustrated book on calming signals. It's really important to keep a calm cheery voice always, always, and be patient - when she's more used to the camera she'll be happier to approach you. If you feel any annoyance at all, keep your voice even and soft, or better yet just say nothing and try another time...and, don't let other people's comments make you wish your dog was more perfect than she is at that moment - other people read dogs wrong all the time.

She's gorgeous - lots of good advice for free here...

Guest Iceman41

Her racing name was July Julie

She came all the way to Penn from florida

She raced 6 races and did not win one

We did the back ground on her her great grandfather or something like that was in the hall of fame

Google three rivers greyhounds and go to thereweb sight

They are the group we got her from

We went to an event on sat in Pittsburgh called dogoctober

Lots of adoption groups than we went to a bath a thon on sun at the kennel we got her from it was fun

20 buck for a bath and nail clipping more of a social event it was fun

I have noticed my hound is more confident after those events

Congrats on your beautiful new girl!

Our brindle boy, Toby, came to us directly off the track...he had never been in a foster home either. He learned the ropes of being in a home very quickly and it sounds like your girl is doing the same thing! Enjoy her! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France