Sleeps With Eyes Partially Open

Guest driser

Does anyone else's Grey sleep with their eyes partially open?

And deep growl/sighs? More like a "mmmmmmmm this is cozy" noise whilst pushing against the wall his XXL bed is against so the added bonus of nails on the wall! LOL

Yep. Carl often sleeps with his eyes partly or wide open, especially when he is dreaming. Both he and Claire make one our two very deep growling sounds as they drift off to sleep, it used to freak me out, particularly when Carl would be up on the bed with me!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have several that sleep with their eyes partially open and I have several that are noisy sleepers, growls, yips, legs running and deep sighs.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo does this also - nails scraping the wall as he settles into a perfect roach.

Aaron used to sleep with his eyes partially open, but the two I have now usually have their eyes closed, which seems strange to me. Is this a greyhound thing (to sleep with the eyes open), or do other breeds do it too?

I'm surprised your adoption group didn't tell you about Greyhounds' tendency to sleep with eyes open! It can be a safety issue to assume the dog is awake when he's not, so knowing about it in advance is a good thing!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

My Monty is over there "looking at me" with demon eyes right now. He's one who sleeps with eyes open and rolled back in his head. He's also twitching his eyebrows -- tee hee!

And he doesn't sleep bark, but he does sleep growl. That is the only time we hear him growl at all! Our other dog, Allie, is a sleep barker. Freaky noise, that.

Guest dragontearz

Obie was running in his sleep last night, eyes open but rolled back in his head, and was growling and baring his teeth...cool but a bit scary at the same time to watch.

Yep, Capri frequently sleeps with her eyes open, although she rolls them back and her third eyelid comes out making her look like a demon. I wasn't aware that dogs had a third eyelid, but I've looked at her closely when she falls asleep and that's definitely what it is. Both dogs also occasionally bark in their sleep, although their mouths are closed, so it sounds sort of like a weird "boop" noise. It's very amusing.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest BrindleBoy

I'm surprised your adoption group didn't tell you about Greyhounds' tendency to sleep with eyes open! It can be a safety issue to assume the dog is awake when he's not, so knowing about it in advance is a good thing!

No kidding! My group didn't mention this, and the 1st week I made he mistake of petting Indy while he was asleep (eyes open)! I've never seen a dog jump up, turn around 180 degrees, and bark, all at the same time and all out of a dead sleep! Crazy! He immediately cooled off, realizing it was me, but still....

Guest FullMetalFrank

I really have only had one who sleeps with her eyes completely closed, and that's Jewels. She LOVES her sleep, that one. My others have always been lighter sleepers and with the eyes partly open.

Add me to the list with a Greyhound that often sleeps with eyes at least half open if not all the way. She also whimpers, yips and races in her sleep, and her ears do a dance. LOL

I too am very surprised that your adoption organization did not tell you about being careful approaching a Greyhound who may seem awake but is deep in sleep, even with eyes open. There are lots of books and sites on line that can give you good info about the ins and outs of our greyt Greys.

Obie was running in his sleep last night, eyes open but rolled back in his head, and was growling and baring his teeth...cool but a bit scary at the same time to watch.

We love the running in his sleep; ours does that too! Kicks his legs and blows air out of the side of his mouth. We wonder, do they win each race in their dreams?? :) They must! :)