Question About Fasting Before X-Rays

I made a separate post because my other one is already quite wordy :rolleyes:

Merlin needs to be fasted for his x-rays because he is probably going to get a sedative (he gets anxious at the vet these days), as I am told that shoulder x-rays can be difficult if the patient doesn't stay still.

Two questions:

1. Doe sa fast mean a full 12 hours, or can I give him some food at 11pm? I am concerned about him fasting because of his IBD issues and an accumulation of acid in his stomach if he has to go without food.

2. They told me to "pick up his water" tomorrow morning. Does that mean no water AT ALL tomorrow morning?? Or can he have a little drink around 6am? The appointment is at 8am. I hate the thought of him being thirsty, it's very humid here at the moment.

Thanks for anyone who has any advice.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

IMHO.....if he were my boy, he'd have a good drink when we got up and/or got back from potty call...then no more until after

aptmt. And, I'd even give him a snack early...not too much, just enough to keep down the gurgles.

Over the past year, our practice has lightened up a lot on the no food/water before sedation. If it's a morning procedure,

then no breakfast, but water is fine.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sorry, I wrote 11am instead of 11pm. I've corrected it now. What I meant was, I will fast him tomorrow morning, but can I feed him now and then give him another snack at 11pm before we go to bed? Or does he have to be fasted for a full 12 hours?

Thanks for the advice regarding water.

Edited by MerlinsMum

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest IHeartDogs

It is probably going to be a light sedative for the x-ray, so IMO, give him a little before going to bed.

Also, I don't know if you are still giving pepcid AC? If so, you can give him 20mg in the morning to avoid a gurgling tummy.

Darn IBD, I know what it is like to have an IBD pup {{{{{hugs}}}}

Good luck sweet Merlin!

Edited by IHeartDogs

Give him a good size snack before bedtime and let him drink as much as he wants. In the morning, no food, but I would give him whatever meds he needs to take (even the metronidazole on an empty stomach). I would also let him drink right after he gets up but not later than that.

They want to prevent any chance of aspiration of food/water in case he reacts badly to the sedation. Be ready for him to be quite woozy afterward for probably the rest of the day. I would also feed him lightly when he gets home, if he's capable of eating. Keep up on his meds too, so the stress and sedation don't bring on another flare up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What time is his appointment?

My vet allows a wee bit of water if the appt is in the late morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Procedures here normally start between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m., and the rule is "no food or water after midnight." Since he may need to be sedated, I'd certainly stick with the no food rule and probably the no water rule as well. Likely wouldn't hurt him to have a sip of water in the morning but unless he's fussing at night or runs a marathon in the morning, he shouldn't need it, and it's safer if his tummy is really empty of everything.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom, thanks, does that include his meds? He usually takes Metronidazole after every meal. Or should I wait to give it to him when I give him some kibble after the x-rays? :unsure

Oh, I didn't see Chris' post about meds! Thanks!! The worry of another flare-up is very much on my mind. I am expecting it, in fact. So I am keen to give him his meds in the morning even though he can't have food.

The appointment is at 8.30.

Edited by MerlinsMum

Kerry fasting after midnight should be fine and his snack is not like a meal.

Maybe an ice cube in the morning. Fasting is a preventative measure...many times emergency surgeries were done when we did not know when the last meal was given.

I hope they just give him the light sedation that is reversible...it works super for xrays.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

My vet feels withholding water is harmful, Patrick's allowed to drink up until he comes in. I do stick with the no food after midnight.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.