Cleaning Teeth On Your Own

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

I bought a scaling tool (for humans) and have picked a bit of built up tartar from my girl's back teeth. It's amazing how solid that gross stuff is. But chunks just fly right off!

I'm taking care to avoid irritating her gums and only scraping down and quite gently, as to not harm the enamel.

She will need a professional to look at them eventually, but I'm trying to prevent as much damage as possible. I also brush Azi's teeth a few times per week. I used to daily, but her gums would bleed, so I backed off a little.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

m.

You're lucky that you can get into her mouth! My girl really hates having her teeth brushed, or any contact with her teeth, really, regardless of how much I build up the excitement. I am worried about build-up as well (even though she came off of the track with excellent teeth), so I've been using Petzlife products. I've used both the gel and the spray, and am currently spraying her teeth every other day. I cannot believe how much of the plaque has disappeared and how white her teeth have gotten. It's definitely worth the $25 pricetag!

by the way: I also really like that petzlife is all natural...

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest Swifthounds

No need to worry about daily brushing making her gums bleed a bit. Where there is accumulated gunk on the teeth and some beginnings of gum disease, brushing will stimulate the gums and cause bleeding. As long as you're using a soft bristle brush, the daily brushing will keep the teeth and gums in better shape and the bleeding will diminish over time as the soft tissue of the gums begins to heal. It's a bit intimidating at first, especially since irritated gums bleed quite a bit and the saliva in the mouth tends to keep the blood bright red, but the brushing is doing good not harm.

Guest BrianRke

I use my finger nail and it will usually just pop right off. I'd be afraid to put any kind of instrument in their mouths for fear they may jerk.

Guest KennelMom

If you can fleck it off with a fingernail, that's one thing (usually only track dogs have this kind of build up). If you have to take metal implements to your dog's teeth, it's time to have a professional do a cleaning. You can damage the enamel (even if "you're careful" and think you aren't) and give bacteria lots of good little microscopic grooves to really dig in and get a good foothold which will make a dog prone to build up even MORE prone.

Bottom line: I really recommend leaving the metal dental instruments alone.

Guest dobiegrey

I use Petzlife too and think it is wonderful, I brush Betty's teeth everyday when I brush mine and she now just comes to the bathroom when she hears me brushing mine, so she really must not mind it!!

HBID.lg.jpgPlaqueOff 60gm Bottle

HBID

From Sweden, a simple powder to give your dog on a daily basis.

This stuff works! I get it here >>>>>http://www.sitstay.com/Cart

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest bethac

We have a routine - after their dinner we take a walk, then teeth brushing (doggie toothbrush and chicken flavored dog toothpaste), then they all get a Dentastix. They line up to get their teeth brushed ... I think it's because they want their treat!

Start very gently with the brushing, maybe only the front teeth, and over time you can work up to all the teeth. They didn't love it at first, but now it's really no big deal at all.

We brush every other day. We started with the little rubber finger cot type and are now using a soft kids toothbrush. There is a little blood, but the gums get a little tougher and eventually the blood stops. Just have to keep with it. Usually hubby brushes while I stand at their butts, since both boys like to back out of the brushing scene. Kasey is really good with it, but brush the wrong way and he'll act like you are trying to kill him! We try to do it when they are laying down, but standing is best.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My dental hygienist said she scales her dog's teeth, but she is a professional.

I have had good luck with Petzlife every day and brushing a couple times a week. The Petzlife seems to soften the gunk so it comes off easier with brushing.

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest greysmitten

Wow, thanks for all the info. I've never heard of Petzlife products - looks like I'll give that a try. PlaqueOff sounds good too. I want my babe to have healthy teeth and gums!

The eager tooth brushing stories make me smile. Funny how dogs thrive on routine. I can just picture skinny little bums lining up for their turn to brush :lol

Lately, I have been giving Aston frozen raw turkey necks, and letting them do the work. His teeth look like they've been professionally cleaned after each one :blink: Of course, it took me a lot of heebie-dancing to decide that I was comfortable with raw necks.. :unsure worth it, though!

However, Petzlife Oral Care Gel is awesome as well -- you just have to keep at it (I'm bad at that :blush ). The nice thing is that if the dog is averse to brushing, you can shove a glob into his/her mouth and it'll get licked around to coat the teeth.

I got my last bottle on Amazon, as their pricing has come way down. :)

u can use a little biotene (the ones humans use) and put a small amount on gauze and rub on gums. they don't really like it but it helps the gums.

There is a veterinary formula of biotene -- it doesn't have xylitol like the human formulation.

We have cheated on brushing and use gel and sprays that react with the saliva to improve the teeth. I'm convinced that Leba II that we used to use on Kasey held off going to the dentist for years. They both had full dentals now, so it's brushing right off the bat for us!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest greysmitten

Lately, I have been giving Aston frozen raw turkey necks, and letting them do the work. His teeth look like they've been professionally cleaned after each one :blink: Of course, it took me a lot of heebie-dancing to decide that I was comfortable with raw necks.. :unsure worth it, though!

However, Petzlife Oral Care Gel is awesome as well -- you just have to keep at it (I'm bad at that :blush ). The nice thing is that if the dog is averse to brushing, you can shove a glob into his/her mouth and it'll get licked around to coat the teeth.

I got my last bottle on Amazon, as their pricing has come way down. :)

The necks gave Azi the worst case of the poops last time I tried - no more!

Oooo ... Amazon. I like the way you think. Thanks