Deramaxx And Appetite

Guest weisster

Guest weisster

Darrel was given deramaxx and I noticed his appetite is gone. He was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. He was also given tramadol. I haven't started the tramadol yet because I wanted to see the side effects of deramaxx. Now (and yes I'll call my vet) I just want to know is it better to have painless dog or a real skinny one? Seriously any advice would be welcomed. Darrel is 12.

Our protocol for Deramaxx, Rimadyl, prednisone, and most antibiotic medications is:

- Give 1 regular strength Pepcid (generic is 10mg famotidine -- very cheap)

- Wait 30-40 minutes

- Feed meal or substantial snack (such as a piece of bread or large dog biscuit -- on the order of a generous handful of something)

- Give pill (Deramaxx, Baytril, whatever) right after meal

The Pepcid helps with most stomach upsets and can be used with most medications.

Hugs and scritchies to your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Alpo has been on Dermaxx and Tramadol for control of his LS for almost 2 years and has not had any issues with appetite.

Same with George. Deramaxx and Gabapentin, actually. Doesn't affect him in the least appetite wise.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Our protocol for Deramaxx, Rimadyl, prednisone, and most antibiotic medications is:

- Wait 30-40 minutes

- Feed meal or substantial snack (such as a piece of bread or large dog biscuit -- on the order of a generous handful of something)

The Pepcid helps with most stomach upsets and can be used with most medications.

Hugs and scritchies to your sweet boy.

All NSAIDs can cause bleeding ulcers. Deramaxx is known for causing life threatening bleeding. Talk to your vet!

Agree with both of the above.

Tramadol has less potential for serious side effects, but also does not affect the inflammation caused by OA like an NSAID would, but given that he's not eating at all on the Deramaxx, I would try to Tramadol instead and if that doesn't provide enough pain relief alone and if the feeding schedule Batmom posted above doesn't mitigate the appetite issues, I might consider trying a different NSAID like Rimadyl. Some dogs do better on one than the other. Keep in mind that you need a 10 day washout period in between NSAIDs so if you do decide to try another one, you will have to have him off the Deramaxx for 10 days first.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Talk to your vet. They can give you medication that coats the lining of the stomach to lessen the side effects of the Deramaxx. I can't remember the exact name, it was something with the word carafate in it. We used it with Gee for stomach upset with her NSAIDS.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Talk to your vet. They can give you medication that coats the lining of the stomach to lessen the side effects of the Deramaxx. I can't remember the exact name, it was something with the word carafate in it. We used it with Gee for stomach upset with her NSAIDS.

Sulcrafate :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Might want to try the sucralfate instead, or swap out the Deramaxx for something else, then. Or both.

AFAIK you don't need a full ten days between NSAIDs. Here we usually do 3-4 days.

ETA: I think the longer washout period comes from the tendency to use aspirin first. If you were giving aspirin and wanted to switch from *that* to a different NSAID, you would want 7-10 days between. In OP's case, if there was a desire to switch, tramadol could be tried as a "gap" medication since tramadol can be used along with any of the NSAIDs.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Might want to try the sucralfate instead, or swap out the Deramaxx for something else, then. Or both.

AFAIK you don't need a full ten days between NSAIDs. Here we usually do 3-4 days.

ETA: I think the longer washout period comes from the tendency to use aspirin first. If you were giving aspirin and wanted to switch from *that* to a different NSAID, you would want 7-10 days between. In OP's case, if there was a desire to switch, tramadol could be tried as a "gap" medication since tramadol can be used along with any of the NSAIDs.

My oncologist still recommends the longer washout period. The Deramaxx insert doesn't specify, just says to consider using "appropriate" washout times. :dunno I'd rather be on the safe side unless we were talking about something like bone cancer (higher level of pain, less concern about long term side effects).

Norms on Dera and Trama. No issues what so ever.

<knocks wood>

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest peacehound

deramaxx never changed Peace's appetite...she was on it for six months for her osteoarthritis and when it quit being effective at the highest dosage I took her to OSU for an evaluation. She was a candidate for Adequan and knock on wood, it seems to be working great, right now she is halfway through the series and is off all pain meds and deramaxx..we have even found her playing again.

He's taking pepcid

Pauline, My gang takes Deramaxx no issues with appetite. How is he doing tonight?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

One needs to remember that just because some dogs have had no problems with Deramaxx does not mean that it is safe for all dogs. It should be judged on the basis of the dog who is taking it and not against others. Nadir has ulcers and gastric colitis as a result of taking NSAIDS. Does that mean all dogs will have that problem? No, it just means we need to be aware and cautious that there is the potential even though there are many who have no problems.

As for pepcid and Sucralfate they work different ways. Pepcid decreases the production of stomach acid, whereas Sucralfate lines and protects the stomach.

Guest weisster

Thank you all. the vet advised I cut his dose into 2 separate feedings. I'm not sure it's helping. RObin, thank you for your concern. I've had a ramp built for darrel as he refuses/cannot do my 3 steps. Let's face it,we're all getting older

Guest LindsaySF

- Wait 30-40 minutes

Agreed with this protocol. :nod I always wait almost an hour between pepcid/food and NSAID pill.

If the Pepcid and splitting the dose does not improve his appetite, I would switch to a different med. Good luck.