How Did You Know When It Was Time To Let Go?

Guest meganm

Guest meganm

I am just looking for some advice from owners who have had to make the decision to put down a dog.

My boy Gibson has had arthritis most of his adult life, and now that he is 11 yrs old it seems to be getting worse.

His hips are starting to go out on him occasionally and he is very slow on walks.

He does not seem to be in pain, but it is hard to tell sometimes.

He is on Metacam daily and has been so for the last 2 years. Is also taking massive amounts of Glucosamine.

He has started peeing in the house and multiple tests indicate no reason for this other than age.

He has started limping the last 2 weeks and just seems pitiful!

I have been contemplating this for a while, as his mobility has been steadily declining the last 8 months.

He is his usual happy and silly self lying down in the house, still likes to play and bark at me, but has so much trouble going up and down stairs and going out for walks.

How do I know when it is time to let him go, especially since it is mostly his mobility that is seriously impaired?

any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by meganm

If only there was a right answer to this question. I ask myself this every time I feel I am about to lose one, and my answer to myself is always the same, they will let us know, each in their own way.

My heart goes out to you as you face the most difficult decision, but try to remember, what ever decision you make, it will be made out of love, and that is never wrong

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Can't really answer your question but it might be worth backing off the glucosamine. Large doses (and probably, once sensitized, smaller ones) can cause urinary problems, upset stomach leading to overdrinking, etc. The glucosamine won't help any pain that he has in any case.

Hugs to you and your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AmberStar47988

If only there was a right answer to this question. I ask myself this every time I feel I am about to lose one, and my answer to myself is always the same, they will let us know, each in their own way.

My heart goes out to you as you face the most difficult decision, but try to remember, what ever decision you make, it will be made out of love, and that is never wrong

I absolutely second this! Mom and I always have a few rules of thumb...when the bad days outweigh the good days. Better a day too early than a day too late. And probably the most poignant, when your heart hurts by what your eyes see.

Gentle hugs and lots of love to you and Gibson, Megan. I had to let my little girl Asia go to the Rainbow Bridge recently, and I know how you feel right now. It's never an easy decision.

Personally, I would try some pain meds first like tramadol. You may be quite surprised that it helps a lot!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest meganm

Personally, I would try some pain meds first like tramadol. You may be quite surprised that it helps a lot!

We have tried Tramadol but he did not do well on it.

The high dosage required was not cost effective for me, and left him stoned.

It's a very personal decision for everyone and everyone handles it differently. We've had to make the decision 4 times now and it doesn't get easier I can tell you that.

Personally for myself I have to ask myself the following questions and answer them honestly

Do they enjoy their food and eat well?

Do they still play with toys and have fun?

Do they still enjoy their walks?

Do they still get excited when I come home or do they just lay there?

Do they still give kisses and tail wags in excitement?

Are they in uncontrollable pain?

Is there any chance of improvement?

Is there anything medically I can do to improve their quality of life?

Is my dog happy or does he/she just seem absolutely miserable?

If I have to answer NO to most of those questions then I make the decision. It's what works for me. It might not for everyone because as I said, it's a very personal decision.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Some dogs don't do well on tramadol. However, some do fantastic! Tramadol is very cheap imo.

There are many other pain meds to try. Gabapentin is another one to consider.

Do you take your dog for short walks? I just am throwing out ideas. I too have a senior will bad arthritis but he has many happy days. I do have him on pain meds and other supplements too.

Lots of other alternatives too. Boswelia can help as well.

You know what is best for your dog. I just think your dog may be experiencing pain that can be controlled and bring quality of life.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest meganm

Some dogs don't do well on tramadol. However, some do fantastic! Tramadol is very cheap imo.

There are many other pain meds to try. Gabapentin is another one to consider.

Do you take your dog for short walks? I just am throwing out ideas. I too have a senior will bad arthritis but he has many happy days. I do have him on pain meds and other supplements too.

Lots of other alternatives too. Boswelia can help as well.

You know what is best for your dog. I just think your dog may be experiencing pain that can be controlled and bring quality of life.

Tramadol is not cheap in Canada. a 1 week supply at the dosage required for him was over $80.00

I have reduced walking to short durations, but I don't want to cut them out completely since this is one of his favorite things to do!

I have discussed/tried alternate therapies and pain medications with my vet but most of them were not that successful.

Thanks for the suggestions, and we are still working on quality of life for him, Just trying to make a plan if it comes to the decision.

..when the bad days outweigh the good days. Better a day too early than a day too late. And probably the most poignant, when your heart hurts by what your eyes see.

Do they enjoy their food and eat well?

Do they still play with toys and have fun?

Do they still enjoy their walks?

Do they still get excited when I come home or do they just lay there?

Do they still give kisses and tail wags in excitement?

Are they in uncontrollable pain?

Is there any chance of improvement?

Is there anything medically I can do to improve their quality of life?

Is my dog happy or does he/she just seem absolutely miserable?

If I have to answer NO to most of those questions then I make the decision. It's what works for me. It might not for everyone because as I said, it's a very personal decision.

It is such a hard decision and I am so sorry you are facing it. I think the above is good advice. Our hearts ached because of what we saw. I have not seen this saying before but it is a good measure. Looking at pictures of Sadie from two months before we lost her I am upset I did not see how bad things were. But when the decline is slow it's hard to truly appreciate it. You may want to ask your vet what other options you have at this point and what the pain level is. Also, you may want to evaluate how dangerous the lack of mobility is.

I will relate our considerations/story and perhaps it will be of some help. For us the deciding factors were that Sadie could no longer stand without assistance. She would become trapped on the floor or in her bed. Sometimes the positions she was trapped in seemed dangerous or painful. She could no longer be left alone because of this. One of us had to stay with her at all times. And we had to keep her on one level of the house because she might fall down the stairs. ALso, the vet was out of options for us. There was no chance of recovery or improvement. Her weight loss was uncontrolled. She stopped eating. She was not herself. We knew it was not far off and it soon may not have been our decision. I thought back to my parents' experience with their dog and how awful it was because they waited too long. I did not want Sadie to go through that. I wanted her passing to be a peaceful as possible, at our home, with her vet. And we had the opportunity to provide a peaceful passing because she was not suddenly taken from us.

I am very sorry and hope you can reach the decision that is right for you.

finalsiggy.jpg

I'd second the stopping glucosamine. Glucosamine might help in mild cases (and there is plenty of disagreement on that), but it never did a darn thing for my dog, and as Batmom said, it's not a pain reliever.

I don't know what metacam is--is that an anti-inflammatory? Urinating in the house isn't caused by old age per se; something is causing it. Did your vet do a culture?

As everyone has said, this is a very personal decision. My own guidelines have always included appetite, interest in normal activities, and the look in their eyes.

My last dog had SEVERE allergies, arthritis, and a malignant tumor. I knew is was just a matter of time, but when the day came, he just looked at me, and what I saw was, "I'm tired, and I've had enough." And so I let him go that day.

1 Tramadol a day was enough to help my Greyhound with pain, by the way. Not sure what dose they put your dog on.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Oh Meg, I'm sorry to read that Gibby isn't doing so well.

It's not something anyone here is going to be able to tell you. You know Gib better than anyone, and if he's feeling really crappy, then it's time to evaluate his quality of life. From there, you'll have your answer.

Someone on here once told me to list their four favourite things to do. Once they are unable to do two of them, it might be time.

Sending hugs and scritches.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I second the thought of trying your boy on Gabapentin. Gabapentin has benefited many older and painful hounds and here in the US it's rather inexpensive. The great thing about Gabapentin is you can alter the dosage to affect.

I got to third this. I live in Canada and Gabapentin is not as expensive as Tramadol plus the latter can cause some side effects, one Megan you identified (doped up). Some vets are not familiar with Gabapentin, not sure why but I would ask for it and try it once. We have a senior girl who has a weak backend and we really thought after a couple spills that she would never walk again. Gabapentin along with some herbal remedies had her back to her old self in a couple weeks.

To answer your question though, it is a very personal decision and others have responded with good points. You know your pup best and when he isn't enjoying those things in life he used to enjoy: food, playing, walks, sleeping, etc., then you know it may be time. Write down a list of things he enjoyed and then make two columns, good/bad. If he still has more good than bad he's still doing okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, Megan, I'm sorry.

I don't have anything to add to the advice that you've already received, especially since my losses were for different and more urgent reasons. I hope you and Gibson have a good bit of quality time left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)