Chicken Sensitivity?

Guest driser

Guest driser

Ugh, our poor new Greyhound (our first dog).

When we got him in June he had hookworm which had gone undiagnosed so it took a couple weeks to de-worm him and get his system calmed down. During that time our vet put him on Hills Science Rx food, dry ID kibble plus canned ID. Though claimed to be the blandest diet, I don't care for the ingredients list so I was eager to get him on a higher quality food (yet cheaper!) so after several days of good poo (post deworming) we started slowly adding in Innova Adult Large Bites kibble. We were only adding 1/4 cup into 1.25cups of ID plus a heaping spoonful of canned ID. Within days he started getting soft stools again which lead to diarrhea so we reverted back to solely ID. But even after his stools started firming up on ID they became soft again a few days later.

Insert here a week of digestive chaos after he stole the pig ear our neighbor gave me that I had not intended to give him, but I failed to understand that they can take lids off storage cubes (where I threw it and his leash when we returned from a walk 3 days before he ingested it). I also didn't realize pigs ears are savory and he could smell it (it didn't smell like anything to me...but I don't have a giant black nose).

He was on ID during all that since he had ragging diarrhea. His stools firmed up eventually and they were good for several days the past week, so we thought we'd try Natural Balance (Limited Ingredient Diet) Chicken/Sweet Potato. After just 3 meals (breakfast, dinner, breakfast) he has HORRIBLE diarrhea again.

I know Greys have sensitive stomachs, but we haven't had even one week of stools that could be picked up. Really?

The common denominator to ALL the food he has been on is CHICKEN. However, the diarrhea comes and goes so I don't know if that is indicative of a sensitivity since it's not chicken = diarrhea everyday.

Desperate to find a food that works for him that offers him quality nutrition! We've wasted a good bit of money on the Innova and Natural Balance to this point. And the Rx food is $$$. How does one TRY dog foods without going broke?

Guest Swifthounds

It's unlikely to be a sensitivity to the chicken.

How many rounds or worming did you do, and did you retest? Changing foods won't help if it's an issue with infestation.

As for trying foods, Petsmart and other places will take returns of opened bags. Just ask. I would deal with the GI issues first though.

We used to think that Rocket couldn't tolerate chicken, but it seems that the problem was other ingredients - not the chicken. He has been on a highly digestible food for months with no problems, and the main ingredient is chicken. This food is used by the boarding facility we use which boards only greyhounds - up to 28 at a time. This food solved numerous poop / stomach issues he was having.

The food is Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice. I have linked to it. Be sure to specify the name exactly as I have it written if you decide to try it. There are numerous Precise formulas but this one worked well for us, and is also used as the House Food at the boarding facility I mentioned. Many of the owners who board there have switched to it after seeing how well their dogs did after eating it.

I would suspect hat Sweet Potato may be more of a problem than chicken in the one food you mentioned. Rocket cannot tolerate sweet potatoes at all. Some dogs do well on them, it really will be a little bit of trial and error until you find what works. As another posted suggested, I would run a stool sample just to be sure that the worms aren't still an issue.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest driser

How many rounds or worming did you do, and did you retest? Changing foods won't help if it's an issue with infestation.

As for trying foods, Petsmart and other places will take returns of opened bags. Just ask. I would deal with the GI issues first though.

How many rounds:

He went through two rounds of Panacur and then retested and came back all clear.

Did NOT know that about returning open bags; thank you!

We had the hardest time finding a food for Kasey once we got him. a lot of it is trial and error. We buy small bags first, but you also have to try the food for a little bit, you can't just feed for a couple days and then give up. You can return bags of uneaten food if it doesn't work out, but ask at the counter first. Lamb goes right through Kasey, I would say that even chicken could be intolerable to some dogs. He actually does better on the cheapest, not good for you food if that makes sense. Premium quality holistic organic food - just didn't work. A couple years later, Kasey now has a severe allergy to anything chicken. Go figure.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

How many rounds:

He went through two rounds of Panacur and then retested and came back all clear.

Did NOT know that about returning open bags; thank you!

Unfortunately, hook is *quite* persistent. He may very well have another batch that is newly hatched...retesting would not be out of order. Two rounds is really not a lot when it comes to hook... :(

If all is well and you truly suspect a food sensitivity, you could indeed try something without chicken. I fed Max Holistic Blend Chicken and Rice for a year or so and could never get him really firm. Switched to their lamb and rice formula and his stool became perfect...so, might be worth a try....

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

You might want to switch to a bland diet of rice and hamburger until he firms up and then try adding a bit of the Natural Balance Venison and Sweet potato. If he tolerates that food well after 2 days increase the amount of the kibble.

Both of mine have chicken sensitivity and while one can tolerate a bit of chicken in the food occassionally, the other one can not have any at all or he gets severe diarrhea now.

i agree, the hooks may still be there. I would ask the vet to test for Giardiasis.

Giardia info

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Wouldn't be a chicken problem if he's firmed up on I/D -- the dry I/D contains chicken.

Finding a food that works can be a trial. I would steer away from the boutique foods (because I've usually hard poor results with them) and try something like Purina ONE, IAMS green (chicken) or red (lamb) bag, Kirkland, Chicken Soup ....

I would probably worm again a time or two as well. Hooks are evil and hard to get rid of.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ok. I KNOW what this thread is about but I swear every time I read the title I'm thinking sensitivity training for chickens. Like, we should be kinder to them or something.... :blush

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Swifthounds

I would just go ahead and do two rounds more of Panacur. Giardia, if present is likely a result of a long untreated or not fully redolved hook infestation and will clear on it's own where the hooks are resolved and the gut is allowed to heal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NSGREY

Higgins cannot seem to tolerate a food that has chicken in it and believe me there are a lot of fooods that so even if they are labelled "Beef or Lamb" :rolleyes:

We have him on the grain free food from Costco and he is doing perfect but like what one of the previous posters state he poops like a clydsdale :blush so...I have to pooper scoop a lot. Also we have done the Lamb and Rice from Costco and he did find on it.

I hope that the hookworms are gone though...I can't imagine how sore that would make a dogs tummy :(