1:30 Am Ez Had Another Seizure

This is the 3rd. seizure in less than 2 months - not as long as he is usually in seizure but still grand mal. I wonder if the heat has anything to do with it or the high pressure system that is causing the heat. Heard from a couple of people on the EPI board and they stated that there have been quite a bit of seizure activity this week end......After his last seizure his neuro vet told and associate that he will probably up his KBr if he has another one within 2 months. Well he did so now we shall see how much he will up this medication

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

just heard from another EPI board member and she said that heat was a factor in one of her pups' seizures.........If so praying this heat breaks soon

With Piper, I honestly am not sure whether it is the heat, longer daylight hours or something else, but I have noticed consistently over the last 8 years that he always has more seizures during the summer. In the past, I could count on at least one of his horrible cluster spells--13+ seizures over a 1-2 day period--every summer without fail. Eventually my vet found a combination of meds to give Piper when he has a seizure that has, blessedly, stopped him from clustering at all for the last 3 years. I've noticed that the "cost" of that control is that his single seizures come much closer together during the summer months.

Sending both you and EZ good wishes for seizure control.

--Lucy and Piper

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest LindsaySF

Sophie had 4 seizures in May and 4 seizures in June. I attributed it to the heat. This July I've ONLY let her run outside for potty breaks, then right back into the A/C. No seizures so far. Could be a coincidence, could be that the heat was the trigger. We'll never know. Good luck to EZ.

I'm sending out good thoughts and lots of prayers.

I'm not dealing with typical seizures at all. However, from what I've learned at the vet school the last couple of weeks is that the barametic pressure triggers a response in many seizure dogs.

best of luck to you...

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Heat is definitely a trigger for Phaelin and for a friend's greyhound too. We have the A/C on here all day and all night. We didn't last year and I know it's made a difference this year in reducing the time between Phaelin's seizures. I walk him only if the temp is below 70 and even then, we have to walk fairly slow so he doesn't overheat and start panting. Phaelin normally seizes every 2 months but we're almost at the 3 month mark and I think it's because I've watched his exposure to the heat.

I hope EZ is able to get some relief soon.....

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

today is a cool one but the fire returns tomorrow - I leave the ac's on 74 and keeps the house decent until about 4 then I crank it up some more for the pups.....EZ's new meds should be ready tomorrow

Guest LindsaySF

Vet has increased his Potassium Bromide to 750 mg/day now waiting for pharmacy to compound the additional dose.

Hope he tolerates it well. :) Sophie is on 1,150 mg KBr in addition to her other meds. She had some ataxia in the beginning, then was fine. Good luck EZ!

Heat is definitely a trigger for Phaelin and for a friend's greyhound too. We have the A/C on here all day and all night. We didn't last year and I know it's made a difference this year in reducing the time between Phaelin's seizures. I walk him only if the temp is below 70 and even then, we have to walk fairly slow so he doesn't overheat and start panting. Phaelin normally seizes every 2 months but we're almost at the 3 month mark and I think it's because I've watched his exposure to the heat.

I hope EZ is able to get some relief soon.....

Oy, that should read "increasing" the time between seizures. I knew I shouldn't have posted when I had a migraine. rolleyes.gif

Beryl, I hope the additional KBr helps give some added time in between EZ's seizures.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound