Toe Amputation

Two days ago Jack screamed out in the backyard and when he came back to the deck, his toe was bleeding a lot. DW tried to stop the bleeding and was finally able to bandage it. We took the bandage off the next day (Thursday) and all look good but we really could not tell what may have caused the bleeding. We could see what looked like a small gouge in the side of his toe but it was slightly raised. He seemed to do well Thursday and we were dipping his paw in epson salt and water. Well last night he was constantly licking the toe and I noticed it was swollen. So we went to the vet this morning and he feels it's a growth and not a cut of any kind and now we are scheduled for amputation Monday morning. We are shocked at this as we thought it was just a cut and now we have the chance that it may be cancerous and will not know for a few days after the amp. I did search about toe amputation and it seems fairly common for a variety of reasons but has anyone had results come back cancerous? What kind of cancer could it be? Mass cell? We just cannot have another pup with cancer, we just can't. Removing the toe, we can deal with but cancer we can't. It's exactly 12 mths ago today that Charlie has his leg amputated.

It's Jack's left front paw, inner toe which I have read is 'better' to have amputated than a weight bearing toe. Thanks for any advice/input, etc.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Did they do an xray?? It could still just be broken and swollen and not a tumor. If it is a tumor, taking the toe will likely solve the problem, as I think most toe tumors are pretty discreet and contained.

Greyhounds do just fine losing a toe - any toe. Dude's one back leg that he has left only has three and he gets along just fine. Make sure they take the whole toe back into the foot - you don't want any bone left to hit the ground when he's walking. Dude's amp site was almost entirely healed after about ten days. He had a hard cup splint, not a soft wrapping as seems to be what many vets are doing now, and our biggest problem was pressure sores. We had a tough time getting those to heal up AND still protect his healing foot.

Good thoughts for Jack!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I posted here about Gracie's toe-gone . What looked like a nail problem or infection turned out to be a benign tumor of the nail bed.

Here's some before pictures:

021.jpg

023.jpg

Amputation was easy. Wish we'd done it sooner.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Larry did just fine after having a broken toe amputated. He needed to have physical activity restrictions and I learned how to change the bandages but other than that, it really wasn't bad. Sending positive thoughts.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Best wishes from me and recent toe-amputee Beth (around Memorial Day). She had some complications with the healing, but is showing no ill effects at this point from a full weight-bearing toe amp.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest DebSzal

Gracie had what we thought was an infection of her toe and the vet treated it as such. But after several days of antibiotic therapy and no improvement, I took her back in and they decided it was a tumor that was growing at an alarming rate. Actually the only reason I knew there was a problem in the first place was because she was licking that paw a lot. Anyways, they amputated the entire toe and the biopsy came back negative. She doesn't seem to mind the loss of the toe and I am so happy it was not cancer. I hope and pray you will get good news also.

Thanks everyone. It's just not what we need right now and while the surgery should be minor, putting him under is our concern and the possibility it's cancer. We can deal with one less toe, just not the big C.

Chris, no the vet did not take an x-ray. Unfortunately 'our' vet was not in today and we happen to get the one we like the least. He only reinforced this today by barely looking at the toe and then backing up and saying, "it's got to go". We'll be seeing our vet Monday morning and the surgery will be performed by his partner who is the senior vet at the clinic. We have x-rays done then to determine whether he may have broken the toe.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Kyle....sending all the well wishes we can for Jack - both in diagnosis and any potential surgery.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I have no experience with toe amps...

Just sending good thoughts!

I think you should get some xrays before any surgery is done.

The swelling could be just from trauma to the toe.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So we go in for 8am today with Jack and I'm stressed. I really don't want him to go through this as he is such a softy and can't handle pain very well. He is the total opposite to Charlie in every way. On top of just the stress of having surgery, I have to fly out later today for California on business and it's my first week with my new client. I so wish this happened last week while I was home. I don't know how DW is going to be able to handle this while I am gone. It's hard enough on her with the 5 pups when they are healthy and she cannot lift Jack out of the car when he comes home from surgery so I'm totally stressed about leaving, it's the last thing I want to be doing. I may have to cancel and I don't know what the repercussions will be if I do but I've always said DW and the pups come first.

Guest KennelMom

We've been through two toe amp's (front foot and back foot, different dogs) and both healed w/o complication. The most recent was suspected cancer so they also removed a lymph node in the leg as well (it did come back as cancer...a pretty rare form).

The most important part of healing a toe amp is rest and keeping the dog calm. Leash walks for potty trips ONLY, no house zoomies. Just keep them calm and off that foot as much as possible. I got a suggestion from a GT'r on how to keep the foot clean and dry on outings and it has worked out really great for us rather than messing with putting on bags: Glad Press N Seal....just tear off a piece, wrap it around the foot and it sticks to itself well enough to get you through outside trips.

We've been through two toe amp's (front foot and back foot, different dogs) and both healed w/o complication. The most recent was suspected cancer so they also removed a lymph node in the leg as well (it did come back as cancer...a pretty rare form).

The most important part of healing a toe amp is rest and keeping the dog calm. Leash walks for potty trips ONLY, no house zoomies. Just keep them calm and off that foot as much as possible. I got a suggestion from a GT'r on how to keep the foot clean and dry on outings and it has worked out really great for us rather than messing with putting on bags: Glad Press N Seal....just tear off a piece, wrap it around the foot and it sticks to itself well enough to get you through outside trips.

Thanks Heather. I saw that tip when I was searching yesterday. Jack is out of surgery already and it went well. They will be waking him up within the hour so hopefully that goes okay.

Seconding Heather's advice about keeping him quiet. The quieter, the better, and off his feet as much as possible. At least for the first four or five days.

Here's to a successful recovery!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nancy, thanks for asking. Jack was back from the vet at 1:30 yesterday and all went well. The toe is out for a biopsy and he is on Tramadol and some antibiotics. The one other item the vet highlighted is an enlarged heart which is not uncommon for Greys but he feels it's extra large. Nothing to worry about for now and it's a matter of days before Jack is able to walk decently. He doesn't do well with pain and he's keeping his foot off the ground currently but that's only a few times a day when he is allowed out. Otherwise he'll be resting.

Just seeing this. Hope Jack feels a lot better in the coming days.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee