Any Experience With Thundershirt?

Guest lala22

Some dogs it doesn't help. But I'm happy to say that Summer isn't one of them. The shirt works wonders for her. She's still not 100% happy with thunder and fireworks but she's no longer shivering in terror.

Here she is curled up on the couch, all comfy in her Thundershirt. There was a thunderstorm going on at the time and previously she would have been upstairs hiding, shivering and panting.

DSC00158.jpg

Edit: Search "thundershirt" and you'll find all the recent threads on the subject. Here's one of them: Fireworks

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

2 out of my 3 hounds are afraid of thunder and shake and hide. I bought 2 thundershirts. Was surprised the first time I used them. They calmed, and layed in their bed. Yesterday we had a thunder storm, put the thundershirts on when I heard the first thunder. They both just acted basically normal. They were aware of the storm. But they did not shake or hide. It may not work on every dog, but it works on my 2.

Guest formercatlady

I have one for each of my pups. Really not sure if it works for mine or not. I think it depends on the severity of the storm for Eddie & Abby. This was during one particularly nasty storm:

IMAG0258.jpg

If you do decide to order, be sure to Google for the free shipping coupon code :)

It doesn't work for Brooke. I give her melatonin as well...she's still a little vibrator hiding in my closet. I also bought another coat that's suppose to help with thinderstorms, it has a silver lining so maybe it's suppose to do something with the static, but it doesn't alleviate the panting and quivering.

Brooke may just be one of those greys that nothing helps.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have had a lot of dog owners tell me it has worked for their dogs but they don't own Greyhounds. I would definitely try it though if I had a need just because of the good reviews I have heard about it!

Guest katethegreyt

We just got one for our girl, and it seems to help. She will still pace and pant, but it will often quiet her to the point that she will lay down instead. I also give her an additional dose of melatonin or benadryl to help. It's certainly not a huge difference for her, but it was $36 and seems to help a bit, so we kept it = )

I just bought one yesterday. There is a 45 day return policy, if it doesn't work, with your receipt.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I used one with huge success on our aged GSD.

Nixon is not afraid of storms, but we do have a 'foster' staying with us now, and apparently he is thunder-phobic so I'll try it on him. However, we're in a big long dry spell right now with no rain in the forecast at all.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Heehoo

This morning I awoke to the sound of panting, then seconds later, thunder. It was Banker, my 14 yr old. I got up, got one of his coats & put it on him, in the meantime I let the others outside. After everyone came back inside, put the fosters in their crates, Banker was sleeping. I use a light cotton material coat that Beryl sent me for just wearing around the house in the cold months for the older doggies. It has worked perfect for Banker who is my thunder (but not firecracker) phobe. When I left, he was back on his futon, sleeping like a puppy. So any shirt will do on most doggies. I've even used a sheet over their crates for the ones that like to go in there to sleep. They say its the static electricity in the air.

I have two that do not like thunder or fireworks. Maggie-Mae is a mix and Billy is a greyhound. Both showed major improvement wearing the thundercoats. They will even come running to me if a storm sneaks up on us and they don't have their coat on. Put on the coat and they go lie down. Maggie still pants but she no longer paces and shakes like crazy.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

A current update on our thunder coat. Fuzzy is wearing it now, we are in the midst of terrific storm and he took himself upstairs to lay down. I wouldn't exactly say he is comfortable, but he is not panting and pacing. Ooops. Here he is. He came and lay down next to me.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest d0ggiem0mma

It works wonders for my Maggie!!

On her own she would be whining, panting, drooling, pacing, barking, and shaking. With her shirt she'll go lay in her bed. She still pants a bit and quivers but it's much, much better. We use her shirt with meds to help with the leftover symptoms.

I just bought one for Angel today before I left out Meet and Greet today. I hope it rains soon so I can see how it works on here.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest Keystone

Keystone Greyhounds has purchased some for our fosters, and we are using one on a very shy boy, Quito. We are hoping the claims that it helps with anxiety (not only thunderphobia) are true. Will let you all know.