Food Causes Very Loose Stool In Foster

Guest IHeartDogs

Guest IHeartDogs

Our organization feeds science diet and my Foster Boo has been on it for almost 3 months with loose poo/diarrhea.

She has been medically cleared that everything is fine/negative.

I am switching her to a different food, should I transition slowly or go cold turkey since she is not doing well on the science diet?

She has no vomiting/gurgling tummy, just super runny poo.

Thanks for your time and have a greyt one!

Guest BrianRke

I have switched foods "cold turkey" before without any problems, but im sure its better to gradually introduce a new food, even if its over the course of just a few days.

I'd just switch.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I usually just switch as well.

Assuming Donna knows? I have no idea what they think of gradual or just switching.

Is Boo's SA better?

Lena is so much better now that I'm not crating her.

Someone was asking about Boo at an event this weekend. They are first time adopters though and I wasn't sure Boo would be ok as an only pup.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest IHeartDogs

Assuming Donna knows? I have no idea what they think of gradual or just switching.

Is Boo's SA better?

Someone was asking about Boo at an event this weekend. They are first time adopters though and I wasn't sure Boo would be ok as an only pup.

Boo was adopted this weekend, yay!!

But her parents want to wait until august to take her due to work travels.

I emailed them about the food and am putting her on the kind they want to feed.

Boo has no SA since I quit the crate. Some dogs just really hate it...

She would not be ok as an only dog.

Is Boo's SA better?

Boo was adopted this weekend, yay!!

But her parents want to wait until august to take her due to work travels.

I emailed them about the food and am putting her on the kind they want to feed.

Boo has no SA since I quit the crate. Some dogs just really hate it...

She would not be ok as an only dog.

woohoo- that's awesome!!

I would just switch her and add pumpkin at first

That's nice of you to keep her that long. :)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest snakes

I would just switch cold turkey, since you already have the loose stool.

Once when we had a major GI problem here we used slippery elm bark (you heat it up with water and some honey to make a thick liquid) and that helped immensely, we got it form our vet that practices natural and herbal remedies but i am sure you can find it around.

I would stop the other food cold turkey and maybe put her on bland for a day or two to help firm everything up, then gradually work in the new food.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest IHeartDogs

Thanks for all the replies, cold turkey it is. *fingers crossed* Oops, I put this in health & medical instead of food...

I would just switch cold turkey, since you already have the loose stool.

Once when we had a major GI problem here we used slippery elm bark (you heat it up with water and some honey to make a thick liquid) and that helped immensely, we got it form our vet that practices natural and herbal remedies but i am sure you can find it around.

I have been giving her slippery elm gruel 3 times a day (3-4 tablespoons) and it doesn't seem to work. :dunno

Guest LindsaySF

I would switch cold turkey too, since she already has diarrhea, it can't hurt. I'm assuming you've dewormed to rule that out?

• 1 month later...
Guest chimni

Do sweet potatoes / yams work just as well as pumpkin? I'm asking because they're more readily available year round in fresh form, whereas pumpkin is usually canned except for in the fall.

Edited by chimni

Ok-- sorry folks got to disagree with the diecision to change foods without doing so slowly. I was told by an internist that by doing so may cause SIBO. I do agree that the food should be changed only I feel it's best to change it over a 7-10 day timeframe.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have switched food cold turkey without negative results; but we're talking three dogs with very good constitution, who have very seldom had any issues with digestion. I might proceed with caution if the dog is having tummy troubles. I do like the idea of stopping the offending food and going on a bland diet, then switching to the new food from there.

About the sweet potato question, we use them instead of pumpkin for that reason; I buy a ten pound case at Costco, bake them and freeze them in quart containers.

George had chronic bad poo when he was in foster care--and when I brought him home, I discovered mold in his food and had no choice but to switch him cold turkey. I figured it couldn't really get much worse, and it didn't!

You might consider dosing the dog with Panacur-D regardless of stool tests. I had read that in a Greyhound book or article, and talked to my vet about it (since George's poo would not firm up) and it really did seem to help.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest IHeartDogs

You might consider dosing the dog with Panacur-D regardless of stool tests. I had read that in a Greyhound book or article, and talked to my vet about it (since George's poo would not firm up) and it really did seem to help.

Yes, this turned out to be the case. She had hookworms that were dormant and we finally got a fecal result showing it. Once she started her first panacur dose, it firmed up instantly! So yeah, dewrom your dogs even if the fecal is negative because many greyhounds come with intestinal parasites.