New To Greys

Guest AmHoneyBunny

Guest AmHoneyBunny

Hi,

My name is Kim and I am looking to learn more about greyhounds. I just sent in an application to adopt from my local greyhound rescue group. I'm really excited to soon be owned by a greyhound!

Fingers crossed for a new addition soon,

Kim

Guest Flysmom

Hello from Georgia!

You found the right place to learn and ask about Greyhounds, people here are super friendly and helpful, however they will also tell you the truth and will not hold back... :P

Honestly, I learn something new everyday I come here!!

Guest avadogner

Hello from Birmingham, AL! Greytak is a great resource for learning all the unique, wonderful quirks of greys. I wish I had known about it when we adopted our first hound in 2001. Please jump in and get to know the gang here!

Ava & Augie's Mum

:welcome

WELCOME to the cult - I mean club! :hehe

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Welcome from the Southwest side of Chicago! Once you bring your new hound into your heart and home your life will never be the same- and that is in a good way!!! There is something magical about these hounds that fill you up with passion and takes over your life. You will learn a lot on this web site. Congratulations and be sure to post pictures of your new friend!!!

Guest AmHoneyBunny

Thanks all!I'm very excited to get a greyhound (or probably another in the future)! Now that I'm in a place in my life where I can have a dog, I can't wait to get one! I grew up around Goldens and Labs for the most part. I was the one who did all the training, grooming, etc. with them. As much as I love my retrievers, I really wanted something different. When I worked in grooming as a bather, I fell in love with two greyhounds that came in on a regular basis to get baths and nail trims.

Any tips for a newbie to Greyhounds?

I'm already in the process of making big soft fluffy beds (even though I'm sure the couch and My bed will be much prefered) and collecting stuffies for the upcoming addition (Again,knowing my pillows and stuffies will be much prefered to the dog toys).

Kim

Hi Kim! Welcome from Ohio. Sounds like you've made a greyt start. Add in good food, several cookies, a nice walk-about,

stir well....you've got a happy family!

Don't be shy about asking questions....about anything....you're sure to get quick advice, and plenty of it! :P

Looking forward to seeing pictures when it's time.

Kathy, DesiRay, Skeeter

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest UpperHandAndy

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming addition! I'm fairly new myself; I got my Andy about a week and a half ago.....he's amazing, and you are going to be thrilled with a greyhound! I think you've got a great start going! I figured I'd give you an idea of what I did since I just adopted as well :)

I thought Andy was going to be a couch and bed hog, but to my surprise, he doesn't even try to get on either! He's happy with his pillows, or he likes to sleep on my big rug in the living room. Get some good, quality food, and ask for some of what they were feeding him/her. Andy LOVES bully sticks - I had some in the car for our ride back, and I think it made him feel pretty welcome! Since I've gotten Andy, I've gotten a rubber kinda curry brush for him - he's pretty skinny and I didn't want to hurt him - and with the nerves of coming to a new home, he was shedding quite a bit. Squeakers are definitely good, but he may not know what to do with them initially. It took Andy a bit to figure them out, but now he's squeaking and shaking to his hearts delight! I'd also get some good pee remover - Andy was pretty much housebroken, but still has had a few accidents (mostly marking) and it makes it easier to clean up and prevent more :) Can't seem to think of anything else, but if I do, I will post again. I've learned so much reading here, and people are ALWAYS adding new info!

Again, CONGRATS!!!

You will need martingale collars for walking the hounds. Since their heads are smaller than their necks if you try to walk them in a tag/buckle collar it will slip over it's head.

Greyhounds have bad teeth so you will need a toothbrush and doggie tooth paste.

Stuffed toys are a favorite but don't be surprised if it takes them a long time to learn to play, some never do. Good quality chew bones are good too.

My Luka says not to forget cookies, retired racers need lots of them. Exclusively Pet makes wonderful people grade dog treats. These are Luka's favorite along with Mother Nature brand Dot's Delights Large dog treats.

Greyhounds have little to no body fat so soft comfy places to sleep is a must. And Luka says pillows are a greyhounds' best friend, preferably two, one of his or her head and one for his or her butt.

Raised feeders- some people love them, some don't- All of my friends in my rescue group use them with no issues.

Make sure to have a camera available at all times because greyhounds make the perfect subject of all of your photos!

Have fun, the waiting to meet your new hound and bring them home is the hardest part!

Guest AmHoneyBunny

Well I just got an email from the adoption group! I go out to see the greys tomorrow! I'm so excited. Hopefully the dogs make it easy on me and choose me.... because knowing me, I'll want to take them all home!

Kim

Guest ctgreylover

I found the best dog bed at amazon.com - slumberball - xlarge . Tony and Violet LOVE them more than any other bed I tried. Martingale collar now for walks and a coat as it gets cooler. Get or borrow a large crate. Most love their crates, especially in the beginning. If they don't need it after a while, set it aside for the next adoption.

There is a article that was posted awhile back about what its like for a newly retired racer.

It talks about not ever having been startled from sleep because it had its own crate at the track, always with a pack. Never saw stairs or dog beds or a tv or a vacuum cleaner = it gives great insight to what your new pup is going to need patience learning.

Greyhounds are a special breed as you have already learned. Good luck!

In addition to the things posted that you will need. Don't forget a coat if you are in a climate that falls below 50 degrees. there are a lot of greyt coat makers out there, but our favorite is Andrea @ needle nose apparel

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest bethac

Welcome to GT! :confetti

How did it go when you met the dogs? Any good prospects? Pictures? Looking forward to your update and adventures in living with a grey. :colgate

Guest AmHoneyBunny

It went really really well! I fell in love with a big, beautiful black female. I'm going to wait until I know for sure before I say more. I should know Tuesday night if I am getting her. I do have to say, I think she will fit right in with my parent's goldens! She already knows how to beg for cookies and block a doorway!

Waiting very impatiently! I've already bought supplies to make a coat. Any one know where there are patterns for Jammies for greyhounds? I have cute material for jammies already!

Kim

Edited by AmHoneyBunny

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all!I'm very excited to get a greyhound (or probably another in the future)! Now that I'm in a place in my life where I can have a dog, I can't wait to get one! I grew up around Goldens and Labs for the most part. I was the one who did all the training, grooming, etc. with them. As much as I love my retrievers, I really wanted something different. When I worked in grooming as a bather, I fell in love with two greyhounds that came in on a regular basis to get baths and nail trims.

Any tips for a newbie to Greyhounds?

Kim

Yup. Don't expect your Greyhound to behave ANYTHING like a Lab or a Golden.

You see it on here all the time--people who think their dog is bored or otherwise unhappy because it does what MOST Greyhounds do a LOT--which is sleep. And I mean A LOT.

I grew up with English Setters--a very, very mellow breed. Greyhounds make English Setters seem hyperactive. And incredibly hairy--but that's beside the point!

Sounds like you've done your homework. I hope you are as pleased with your first hound as I have been with mine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck