Toxic Combination

Two sick dogs, both on pred. I thought Dot was ready for the bridge and withdrew all the prescription meds from Mizzy.

Found out from the acupuncture vet as we were talking about meds (she looks thru my cupboards when she is there and we are talking) and MSM came up. She said never give pred and MSM together -- it's toxic.

Stopped the MSM, made no other adjustments.

Dot is running on occassion again and is normal for her age.

Mizzy is back on low dose pred with no vomitting, etc.

Learn something new every day.....my regular vet had no idea.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Thank you so much for sharing this Diane!

I had no idea either but I keep Atlas on MSM (along with Gluco and chond), so this is definitely good information.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greytbookert

Wow, I didn't know this either! Adam was on a low dose pred last fall and was on MSM as well.... thanks for the info!

Two sick dogs, both on pred. I thought Dot was ready for the bridge and withdrew all the prescription meds from Mizzy.

Found out from the acupuncture vet as we were talking about meds (she looks thru my cupboards when she is there and we are talking) and MSM came up. She said never give pred and MSM together -- it's toxic.

Stopped the MSM, made no other adjustments.

Dot is running on occassion again and is normal for her age.

Mizzy is back on low dose pred with no vomitting, etc.

Learn something new every day.....my regular vet had no idea.

Diane, what is MSM?

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest mountain4greys

I didn't know this either! Wow! Who would have known? I'm glad you got to the bottom and Mizzy and Dot are doing good.

Guest FawnFan

What is MSM?

Answer: Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring sulfur compound found in the body and is a source of organic Sulfur. Supplementing the diet with additional MSM ensures the body's ability to synthesize collagen for connective tissue health, maintain membrane flexibility, and promote cell regeneration.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thanks for the info. I take low dose pred myself and was considering adding a joint supplement; now I'll check with my doc (which i suppose one should do anyways when they are on a lot of prescription meds) and make sure if I do go that route, no MSM!

Totally new info for me too. When you say sick....what kind of sick? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Desi has been on Dasuquin w/MSM for months and is just now finishing up a short low-dose course of Pred for his feet.

The only effects I've seen so far is the usual side effects for pred that I've seen in my bridge hound, who was NOT on MSM.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I've never heard of this being a toxic combo, in fact people with arthritis will use MSM to reduce their pred dose. However when I was trying to ramp up my dose of MSM for arthritis, my liver values quickly went out of range (this was about at a 10,000 mg dose & I wasn't on pred). Once I reduced it & added milk thistle, the values went back to normal. So if the liver has to process both MSM & other meds & is having trouble, I could see how that could cause some toxic backup.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hmm, perhaps this is the cause of Ace's diarrhea...she is on 10mg pred every other day and I give her Springtime's Joint Health Tabs.

Wonder if I should give her the Fresh Factors instead?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Mizzy was vomitting and overall sick. Dot looked like she was on her last legs -- walking funky, falling when she pottied, etc.

I wonder (and I'll ask vet) if the dose of MSM matters and length and amount of pred. After dealing with these two it's a combination I will never try again!

in fact people with arthritis will use MSM to reduce their pred dose

Dogs and people in many instances regarding meds and supplements are different. I'll ask her about that too :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Good to know, Diane. Thanks for posting.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mizzy was vomitting and overall sick. Dot looked like she was on her last legs -- walking funky, falling when she pottied, etc.

I wonder (and I'll ask vet) if the dose of MSM matters and length and amount of pred. After dealing with these two it's a combination I will never try again!

in fact people with arthritis will use MSM to reduce their pred dose

Dogs and people in many instances regarding meds and supplements are different. I'll ask her about that too :)

I don't blame you for not trying it again - I wouldn't either! I'm glad the pups are feeling better. And I know dogs & people are different, but I've never heard a bad thing about MSM (other than it didn't work). MSM Pred, MSM interactions I would love to hear more about this from your vet.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Swifthounds

I had no idea, I thought MSM was pretty harmless! Thanks for letting us know, I was thinking of adding it to Fletcher's supplements for his arthritis. I wonder what else it shouldn't be mixed with.

MSM is pretty harmless. Pred, however, is pretty nasty and doesn't play well.