Open Wound On Upper Rear

Myka bumped in to something over the weekend and gave herself a scrape about the size of a 50 cent piece. It's not a cut, but round and the outer layer of skin is scraped off. I've kept it clean with hydrogen but also left it uncovered so as to heal well and get air to it. She's not feverish, the wound is not swollen or hot, so it's not infected. And there's no way to stitch or staple it closed. Does she need ABs? or just antibiotic cream? DBF is with her today while I'm working so she's getting gentle presses of hydrogen every couple of hours...

Advice?

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest KennelMom

Hard to envision w/o a pic. I'd probably just make sure it stays clean and dry. Maybe some AB cream, most likely not oral ABs.

I'd lay off the hydrogen peroxide. That's good for the initial cleaning of a wound, but it can actually delay healing as it will kill off healthy new cells as well. If I use it, it's only for the very first cleaning.

It sounds very similar to the skinned areas that Summer sometimes gets on the lower back of her hind legs, from braking heavily on the gravel of a baseball diamond. I just make sure there's no chunkies in there and squirt with either Colloidal Silver or EMT Spray. I spray periodically throughout the rest of the day or apply EMT Gel and, if they are still moist the next day, I'll give them another squirt. I wouldn't worry about it. But it's hard to tell without a picture.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest snakes

I've done both staples and just leaving it open, both healed well. Tricky part is to keep them from licking it (I used a cone when i left for work just in case). I found the spray version of neosporin to be a lifesaver, it goes on much easier and quicker than the gel.

No more hydrogen peroxide. If it's clean, it'll be OK. Keep her from licking and apply neosporin (I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the spray version). She should heal up just fine!

Give her a kiss on the nose from me!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is it perfectly round?

George got a very odd perfectly round sore on his side shortly after Mister Bigglesworth arrived (not in the best of condition, unfortunately) from his breeder. I think it might have been some sort of funky fungus.

I took him to the vet and they were as perplexed as I was, but I used an OTC hydrocortisone spray on it (in case it was itchy, I guess!) and it went away after a few days. It was very strange...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Just picked up some spray and advised DBF no more hydrogen. I'll ask him to take a pic and I'll post it. I'm certain it's not a fungus but a scrape -- the top layer of fur and skin is missing and the wound was bleeding just a tiny bit, mostly weeping. It wasn't there Saturday morning, only after zoomies at my gf's house. He's home sick today so he's making sure she's not licking it.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan has an open wound on his hip right now (from a dog bite). His oral AB's are finished, but he was on them to start. Right now I'm rinsing it with water and cleaning with Neosporin foam, then applying Granulex (trying to get the wound to close).

If it's a scrape (as opposed to a puncture or a dog bite) she probably doesn't need oral AB's as long as you keep it clean. Good luck.

Guest buttonwillow

Josie slipped on the street about 2 weeks ago and the same sort of scrape resulted. I put some triple antibiotic on it and covered it with a bandaid for a day. Then nothing after that. It's healing quite well.

felix just had another good scrape(he's totally dingged up and i got him w/o a scratch- he looks like a car that has been parking on the street in the city) which during the healing process was driving him nuts-o,the itchy-itchy-itchy stage. i use hydrocoritzone w/ aloe when it's itchy. it taste awful and they finally stop biting it the voile..it has a chance to heal. i buy generic packages of it at costco, very cheap and really lather it in. excellent for hot spots as well. generally it's one application of AB ointment and that's it. it's a matter of not letting them chew it.