Eddie - Possible Cancer? Pic Included.

Guest formercatlady

Guest formercatlady

I took Eddie to the vet today for his rabies vaccine & b/c I noticed a small, hard (hard like bony) protrusion. It's on the side of his right rear leg down by his first toe. My vet did an x-ray, but said it didn't make him feel better one way or the other. He gave me the x-ray and referred us to an oncologist, Dr. Peterson. I called but the receptionist said Dr Peterson only sees pets that have been diagnosed w/cancer. She said that she can schedule us w/an internist..but what will they do that my vet didn't? The receptionist couldn't answer that question, and I'm really not sure what to do. I WILL take him to whoever he needs to see, but I also don't have money to just throw away. Maybe it's not cancer, but I surely don't want to just wait and see. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Forgot to mention that my sweet boy just celebrated his 8th birthday, and seems perfectly happy & healthy otherwise. He's eating, drinking & exercising fine and the spot is not at all painful to the touch.

Many, many thanks!

Edited by formercatlady

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest snakes

Maybe your vet could suggest another oncologist in the area that would be more willing to evaluate rather than just treat? You'd be unfortunately surprised when you have to look how many doggie oncologists there are around....

Send the xray to OSU. Dr Couto will review it. It's the number 1 greyhound oncologist.

And I don't believe they charge for it.

PS...I'm in NJ. When my Diamond was diagnosed with OS, I drove all the way out to OSU for her amp. It took me 9 hrs and was so worth it. Depending on where in Md you are, it might be worth it for you too. The surgery was also cheaper than elsewhere, so that doubled the trip. And, to add frosting, there are several people around OSU that will put people like me or you up in their homes instead of having to stay at a hotel.

Guest formercatlady

Send the xray to OSU. Dr Couto will review it. It's the number 1 greyhound oncologist.

And I don't believe they charge for it.

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you send the x-ray? I know that human x-rays are stored & sent electronically but I actually have the *hard copy* if you will. And thanks for your response!

Guest KennelMom
He gave me the x-ray and referred us to an oncologist, Dr. Peterson. I called but the receptionist said Dr Peterson only sees pets that have been diagnosed w/cancer. She said that she can schedule us w/an internist..but what will they do that my vet didn't? The receptionist couldn't answer that question, and I'm really not sure what to do.

Sometimes it's a matter of getting a second opinion from a person who looks at a LOT of certain types of xrays. At our specialty hospital, you only see the oncologist once the diagnosis of cancer has been made by the internist or your primary vet.

If it's hard and bony, could it just be an old toe injury? Many of our dogs have knobby/lumpy/bumpy weirdo looking toes from past injuries. can you post pic? Hopefully it's nothing serious :hope

You can actually snail mail the xrays.

They can read them as well as digital copies. But what I did do was go to a specialty clinic and get new xrays taken digitally and sent them on disk (the email attachment was too big)

If you can afford that, it's a little easier to mail a disc over the large prints.

I'd check first with your vet and make sure they don't also have the digital copies. My vet does both automatically but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't asked for a copy for Summer's chiropractor.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest formercatlady
He gave me the x-ray and referred us to an oncologist, Dr. Peterson. I called but the receptionist said Dr Peterson only sees pets that have been diagnosed w/cancer. She said that she can schedule us w/an internist..but what will they do that my vet didn't? The receptionist couldn't answer that question, and I'm really not sure what to do.

Sometimes it's a matter of getting a second opinion from a person who looks at a LOT of certain types of xrays. At our specialty hospital, you only see the oncologist once the diagnosis of cancer has been made by the internist or your primary vet.

If it's hard and bony, could it just be an old toe injury? Many of our dogs have knobby/lumpy/bumpy weirdo looking toes from past injuries. can you post pic? Hopefully it's nothing serious :hope

Hi Heather..and thanks but it's actually new..noticed it last week :( I'll see if I can get a pic. Eddie is sprawled out (on that side, of course) & totally unaffected :lol

Guest formercatlady

I'm in the process of emailing Dr Couto right now & scheduled an appt w/the internist for next Friday, which is her 1st available appt. So now I guess it's the waiting game..UGH :riphair

If your vet thinks it is cancer I would make an appointment at Ohio State. Eddie is the perfect age for cancer. I live North of Memphis TN. I drive our greyhounds up to Ohio State for their amputation and chemo. I showed my bill's to my local vet and he said he recommends what I am doing. Even with the gas and motel the hospital visits and chemo are less expensive and the greyhounds are being seen by greyhound and cancer experts.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Did you put in for a consultation at Ohio State? You could probably have an appointment at Ohio State on Monday if you called. Front desk of clinic - 614-292-3551. Say you have greyhound with possible cancer and would like to make an appointment with an Oncologist thru the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program.

Sorry, I have two much experience with this. Let us know if you decide to make an appointment and we can fill you in on where to stay and what will happen at your appointment

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest formercatlady

If your vet thinks it is cancer I would make an appointment at Ohio State. Eddie is the perfect age for cancer. I live North of Memphis TN. I drive our greyhounds up to Ohio State for their amputation and chemo. I showed my bill's to my local vet and he said he recommends what I am doing. Even with the gas and motel the hospital visits and chemo are less expensive and the greyhounds are being seen by greyhound and cancer experts.

Hi there & thanks for your input :)

He didn't say he thinks it's cancer. He said it could be a couple of different things, but w/the breed disposition he'd rather err on the side of caution than to wait and see what happens. The other *issue* and I hope I don't get blasted for this, but I don't have much time off work and/or the money to travel. I myself am recuperating from cancer surgery, and have been home for almost 6 weeks. I'm lucky that my employer fronted me my leave for this coming year, but have already used up the majority of it :( I'm so sick of f'ing cancer..no one deserves it..but we've had enough of the Big C here lately. Hoping & praying it's something else.

Will the price of gas be going down with the release of some from the reserve supply. This might be a sign to travel. If you are interested contact Joejoe's mom for housing. Jane is the coordinator for out of town greyhounds. There are some greyhound owners that house people and their greyhounds when they are in town for clinic appointments.

Hugs

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

Will the price of gas be going down with the release of some from the reserve supply. This might be a sign to travel. If you are interested contact Joejoe's mom for housing. Jane is the coordinator for out of town greyhounds. There are some greyhound owners that house people and their greyhounds when they are in town for clinic appointments.

Hugs

Jane is a little hard to get hold of with her own Joe being a tripod, her Twistmas with lymphoma and two lab guests.

You can try, but don't think she's snubbing you if you don't get a reply.

Prior to mailing the only copy of that xray, call your local hospital and see if they either have a film copier or a scanner that can digitize the image. It won't be free but shouldn't be more than $10-20. If they can't do that ask what other xray facilities in the area do.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would not plan trips to Ohio just yet. :)

If your vet is uncomfortable making a diagnosis with the x-ray, ask him to send it to OSU for consult. He should be perfectly willing to do it.

Good luck - I'm sure it's nothing.

As an aside - is there a "perfect age for cancer??" From reading GT, it can happen to any dog at any time. Not exactly comforting, but it doesn't seem to me that any particular age is the one we should be most worried about.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest formercatlady

Thanks Macoduck for the suggestion, but I have been all over gods creation today & no one can help me make a copy...grrrr!

So..will overnight (& insure) my only copy to Dr Couto. I just left him a voicemail.

Ha..thanks PJ..me too :)

I am so sorry you are dealing with this, on top of your own cancer.

As others have said, we have people who can put you up if you are coming to Ohio. We also have people who will make special food for your hound and visit them (if allowed) if you have to stay at home to work and your dog is being treated at OSU. All that being said, your first step is to get the x-rays to Dr. Couto's team -- I see that you are already doing that.

They currently request that you submit a consult request via their web form. This helps them automate the consult process. If you have already had a response from Dr. Couto or others at OSU that they will review your x-ray without the form, then great. If you have not received any confirmation from them, I suggest you fill out the form.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

This consult is currently available at no charge. Some people have said that once they try to submit the form it directs you to the donation page. You should NOT have to donate to submit the form. If this happens you can email them at greyosu@osu.edu.

If you do decide to visit, please let me know by emailing me at

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

I can arrange a place for you and your dog to stay if you would like. I am not on greytalk very much these days as I am taking care of 5 dogs, 3 of which are very sick (2 with cancer). I am devoting as much time as possible to them while I still have them with me.

Jane

Good thoughts for Eddie. I really hope it's not cancer and just something else easily treatable. Please keep us updated when you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest formercatlady

I'm so touched by everyone's responses. I'm not able to get on GT as much as I'd like, but I haven't forgotten what a wonderful group you all are. Thank you all so much!

I overnighted Eddie's x-ray to OSU, so am hoping I'll get a call this weekend. I'll let you all know when I know, but thanks for your care and concern for me & my sweet boy :)

I'm so touched by everyone's responses. I'm not able to get on GT as much as I'd like, but I haven't forgotten what a wonderful group you all are. Thank you all so much!

I overnighted Eddie's x-ray to OSU, so am hoping I'll get a call this weekend. I'll let you all know when I know, but thanks for your care and concern for me & my sweet boy :)

I just wanted to let you know that they seldom do consults over the weekend. Just didn't want you to worry in case you don't hear from them.