$4.00 Prescriptions

Guest KennelMom

Most places now. Some places even offer FREE RX's. When they gave Stella an anti-biotic the vet told me I could get it filled free at Publix (unfortunately, there wasn't one convenient so I popped for the $4 RX)

How does one go about getting the discount? I took a script to Costco recently thinking they'd only charge me $4. Instead, they charged me $10 which is my insurance's copay. Heck, if they were just going to charge me my regular copay, I would have gone to CVS.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest tricolorhounds

How does one go about getting the discount? I took a script to Costco recently thinking they'd only charge me $4. Instead, they charged me $10 which is my insurance's copay. Heck, if they were just going to charge me my regular copay, I would have gone to CVS.

Maybe because they thought they could get more money by charging your insurance and your co-pay... We get Coppers heart meds at Target for $4.00 just by presenting the prescription, no insurance.

Guest RICHandJUDE

We get many $4.00, 30 day prescriptions at Giant Eagle Pharmacy. Many are $10.00 for a 90 day supply. We get some of the diabetic pills (Metformin and Glipizide)for FREE. (still need a prescription of course) Many of their antibiotics are free of charge. Giant Eagle will match the price of any of the other pharmacies within 10 miles. This saves us much money. It might take 2 hours to fill a prescription but it is worth it.

I've gotten some at the Fry's Pharmacy..I think they have a list of the meds they ahve

Yeah, but I don't like Fry's :rolleyes:

I've had issues with the pharmacy at the Walgreen's, but I think it is the closest place to me. No Publix in Phoenix :(

I have a Walgreens prescription card, which saves some on the dogs' meds. (My insurance only covers people meds.) Sam gets generics (methocarbamol and meloxicam), but the prescription card doesn't knock the cost down very much. ($3.10 saving on the methocarbamol--with tax, about $12 instead of $15--and it looks like we'll be refilling that one about every three weeks, so what we'll save will pay for the card itself)

The card was $35 for the "family plan"--I won't need it myself as long as I'm insured at work, but Jacey has a standing prescription for valium, so she's on the plan with Sam.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KennelMom

The $4 prescriptions are for specific dosages/amounts/days and your doc/vet has to write the RX to fit the $4 program for the pharmacy. If there's one you use most often, just print out or take the flyer from the pharmacy to the doc/vet and ask them to write it to meet the $4 program if possible. Sometimes with dogs it may bot be possible b/c of the dosage schedule or amount....but it's never been a problem for us yet.

I've had a $4 RX filled, even with my insurance. It's all in how they write the script whether or not the pharmacy can fill it cheaply.

Target does not list tramadol on their $4 list. But they do include it. My guess is because it has to do with pain that they don't want to be the target (no pun intended) of abusers (even though tramadol does not really have abuse problems.) Ask at the pharmacy. I think I called the pharmacy to ask specifically-- but just depends on who answers as to whether or not they will tell you if they have it or not.

We get Faster's tramadol from our local Target under the $4 plan, but it is more than $4 as it is more than a 30 day supply by their definition. It is still less expensive than at the vet or other non-discount places. (Never mind that a 30 day supply for Target often means 30 pills for a med that might be taken 2 or 3 times a day. You cannot argue with them on that. I have tried.)

Good luck!

Carol

Edited by celbee

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Most places automatically charge you the cheapest price... but sometimes you have to specify that you do not want to use your insurance. Of course with K9 prescriptions it shouldn't matter anyhow LoL

Guest Swifthounds

If they bill your insurance, they have to charge you the copay per the contract with the insurance provider.

Just to clarify-- you can't use your human insurance to fill your dogs meds

Obviously. Otherwise it would be insurance fraud, but with man meds, the contract governs Though if a prescription isn't clearly written with a very obviously pet name, you want to remind the pharmacy.

If they bill your insurance, they have to charge you the copay per the contract with the insurance provider.

Just to clarify-- you can't use your human insurance to fill your dogs meds

I was asking about people meds... Heck, it would be nice to save on them too even though I have insurance.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Although... My own health insurance actually does end up supplying tramadol for my dogs because I always have excess from my monthly supply. The dog's script would be just $4-10 it's really more convenience rather than monetary savings. Since the prescription is genuinely mine & I do take the drug myself I do not consider this fraud. Might be illegal rerouting of drugs but am hoping the DEA won't come knocking on my door. :unsure