Bella

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

You all are too kind. I've been keeping a stack of old towels near by for the "just in case" glad they were there :lol

We have discontinued the Dramamine and hoping the desire for food will come back. She will take a cookie out of my hand but then is like "what do I do with this" and just drops it.

BBQ and grilling tonight when the sun goes down.

I think I will "walk" Bella out onto the porch tonight while I cook up her meals and see if that helps as well. She enjoys lounging on the porch while I cook.

We did venture outside for a bit today. My gosh she's such a good girl :wub: 2 steps off the back deck and she dropped that butt down and pooped :thumbs-up took a few wobbly steps and dropped the butt down again to pee :confetti

So looks like every few hours I will get her up and out the backdoor for some pee and poo time. I think she can handle that now and I know she will be much happier doing her business outside.

As will I, my washer and dryer are getting a work out for sure :lol

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytbookert

I hope Bella continues to get better! She's in such good hands!

Never once did I think pooping in the house on a towel was gross... I would have done the same! :blush

Just sending hugs for both of you.

Pooping on a towel? Perfect. Much rather wash a towel than have to carry the dog however far AND scrub the rug.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greymama002

Continued best thoughts for Bella's improvement. What great progress she has made already! We're all pulling for you, Bella honey!

I don't know how I missed all of this until now, but I'm happy to hear that she has improved :yay

And you know, I thought nothing of you having her poop on the towel...given the alternatives, that was the least stressful solution for Bella, and for you :nod On the rare occasion that I hear someone about to puke, there is no way I'd be able to get them outside before it happens, so I just try to grab something close by that is easy to throw in the washer. It's SO much easier than getting out the carpet cleaner!

Heather (KennelMom) - I just about died when I saw you say that Ken caught vomit with is bare hands! Now THAT'S a real man! :lol I am not sure that I would have the stomach to do that myself, but, more power to him! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest bethac

Hoping you had better luck getting Bella to eat a few bites tonight. At this point, anything at all would be great, just to get her started eating again.

Sounds like she is improving and your stash of towels is brilliant. No argument there ... towels, newspapers, magazines - any of those work just fine. Hang in there Heather and Bella - we're all praying for you gals. :hope

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Well no food again last night, so today she's going to eat something!

I have to get a call into my vet to see if they are willing to dispense an appetite stimulant.

I'm a bit worried that the vet isn't going to be willing to do this without seeing the dog first. Which I don't see happening.

1) the car ride would be H*LL for Bella

2) we are not going to have to "stand" in the vets office for 20 or more minutes waiting for the vet to see us, nope not happening!

So I'll give them a call and see how they feel about it. If that doesn't work I might call the mobile vet in the area. That way she can stop by, check out Bella and hopefully perscribe the meds we need.

If that doesn't work I'll give ole mom a call and see if she can talk one of her doctors into giving us a script :D

Other then the not eating thing, she's is doing wonderful. She lights up when she gets to the kitchen knowing she gets to go out side. Really picks up the pace and trucks on outside, with my help of course.

I basically let her lead me to where she would like to go.

Last night she wanted to do a few laps around the living room after going outside to do her business. That is normal routine for Bella, a few laps around the living room then find the bed she wants to lay down on and plops down.

She still has balance issues but is able to get her balance back quicker then previously. Of course I'm supporting her the whole time. If she gets to wobbly she will freak out which makes it worse.

We still have a long road but improvements everyday so all is good :)

Guest KennelMom

Sounds like she's made some major improvements...now to get her eating! (non-eating dogs are SO frustrating and worrisome!)

Guest vahoundlover

Bella please eat!!!!!! Please excuse me if this was said earlier.....What about vanilla or strawberry or other flavor of ice cream? If you can't get a script, regular pepcid might do the trick.

Glad your girl is getting better. Enjoyed your story in CG.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

well duh, Ice cream! why in the world didn't I think of that???? It's one of the things that my old gal Brookie never turned her nose up at.

OK adding that to the shopping list for Kevin to pick up. Thanks for that suggestion!

As far as Pepcid I can give it a try but I'm not sure she has any sort of upset stomach issues. But it can't hurt.

Nancy, the drug that was suggested to me is Mirtazapine. I'm told that it will kick start just about anyone's desire to eat.

I also know that some steroids will up the desire to eat but really don't want to go a steroid route.

I have a few phone calls out to friends and family to see if I can get a script for the Mirtazapine.

I did manage to get about half a can of dog food in her and about 3 meatball sizes of raw hamburger.

Just have to work with mushy stuff as it's easier to just wipe it on her tongue and have her swallow it.

Guest GreytgroupLeader

Heather, just saw this thread on Bella. Hope she's continuing to make progress..... Come on little girl - you got to eat. When my little brindle girl was fighting the battle (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) the only thing that she would eat for some strange reason was spicy food and beleive it or not "zingers". The vet believes her taste buds needed a jump start. I can remember the night she started eating I ended up grilling her 2 steaks at 2 in the morning. Seem like the perfect thing to do. So come on Bella - I'm sure your Momma would cook you up a couple of steakes.

Heather will she do a can of Boost or Ensure?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest PhillyPups

Continued prayers for sweet Bella :hope

Have you tried nutritional yeast, salmon, tuna or parmesan cheese? They would kick-start some of my older girls appetites.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Now Pat, you know me :lol I've tried anything and everything.

I currently have some BBQ cooking in the crock pot as that has always sparked her interest and normally around 2am or so :rolleyes:

Also had a mobile vet come visit and we got the script for the Mirtazapine. Just gave her a dose about 5 minutes ago. I hear it should take about a day to really kick in. So fingers crossed there.

Guest bethac

Me too - checking to see how Bella is doing today. My DD, the nurse, is asking if you got anti-nausea meds for her? Like Zofran or Phenergan or something like that? Thinking that even is she is hungry, if she's really nauseous she won't want to eat. Even a benedryl might help with nausea ...

Sending more prayers your way. :hope

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We haven't dosed anything for nausea just yet. She's drinking water fine and holding it down.

She was on Dramamine for a bit but we have stopped that as well. The mobile vet did suggest Pepcid but not the Pepcid AC, which I couldn't find just plain Pepcid at the drugstore :(

Last night was a big night! no she didn't eat, but she did take a few laps of some Ice Cream :D

Bella got up all on her own and was walking around all by her self. We even ventured outside with me just standing behind her and if she got the wobbles I placed my hands on her sides just to get her stable quicker.

Today she's up and walking again pretty much on her own with very little support from me. Those are huge strides as I was really worried about her back end as she has always been weak back there but she's also as stubborn as they come soooooooo stubborn wins out :lol

Glad she's so much better! What happy news.

I don't have any experience with the not-eating situation, but just to throw in one more suggestion since no one else has made it -- Hill's A/D? It's designed for animals recovering from illness, and is supposed to be nearly irresistible, as well as densely nutritious. Also very squishy and easy to force-feed if you need to. I've used it for cats before.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad