Licking The Couch! Why?

Guest dray1965

Both my bridge boys would lick the chair and the couch. I still have no idea why, they just did it.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Merlin licks the couch too. And his bed. And leaves a wet patch. A smelly wet patch. :lol:puke

Weirdo... :rolleyes:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest meggera

The other day I could hear Vanille licking but I couldn't figure out what she was licking because she was laying flat out on her side with her head under the chair. So I walked over and she was licking the leg of the chair, her eyes closed. It was so strange and funny.

Sara is a couch licker, Max licks himself, obsessively, why "because he can" :lol

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest dray1965

Whew! I'm so glad Bailey isn't the only licker in the world! He does kinda zone out and does seem to enjoy it. I'm glad I don't have to be concerned about it at all. I saw one of the replies mentioned that it was like "a cat with a plastic bag" - and one of my cats is a plastic licker - maybe that's where Bailey got the idea. Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories of all your kids!

Guest Barbara

I have two dachshunds who love to lick. If I'm sitting in the recliner, both will come get in my lap. They'll start licking my arm until it drives me crazy and I have to insist that they stop (easier said than done). They will then turn to licking the arm of the chair. I hate to put my elbow down in the wet spot.

C. Allstun doesn't lick like that, but he's really cute when he decides to join the dachsies on my lap!

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod doesnt seem to be a licker.Unless he has itchy legs in the fall then he licks his legs.So in the fall you will see pics of him with vet wrap on his legs to keep him from licking.

our only licker is my horse Moxley he loves to lick the horse trailer after it has been waxed :blink:

Guest BillF

My boy Tip licks the couch. Usually where I sit so I assume he just smells me there. Sometime he will get next to me and lick my hand, arm, or foot.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gemma

Licking releases endorphins ('feel good' hormones), hence why it's so common. We joke that Peyton is 'drugging himself' because he'll just sit there, licking the sofa cushions, eyes half closed, expression one of total bliss. . . :lol

My understanding is that it can actually become habit forming for dogs with severe anxiety or an abusive background. Some very traumatised dogs will even suckle blankets and soft things for comfort. But for a healthy, well-adjusted pup, s/he is just getting a nice rush of endorphins.

Hot Rod doesnt seem to be a licker.Unless he has itchy legs in the fall then he licks his legs.So in the fall you will see pics of him with vet wrap on his legs to keep him from licking.

our only licker is my horse Moxley he loves to lick the horse trailer after it has been waxed :blink:

DH's horse used to lick the horse trailer. Oddball!

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Before I took to muzzling her when I was out of the house, my friend Kelly would find Aquitaine on the floor just licking away with a glazed look in her eyes. She just loves to lick. She's licked the finish off the floor, the paint (and plaster) off the walls, the finish off three pieces of art deco furniture, thus the muzzling. It is pretty funny to see though.

Magic is a sofa licker too although he will lick his bed. Sometimes he'll be licking his leg and the sofa at the same time. It's funny; he doesn't lick me much. Occasionally, he'll lick my hand but that's about it.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Maddie sometimes licks the wall by her bed in the living room- she also sometimes stares at me for a while when I am laying on the couch which creeps me out.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest Shermanator

Dogs lick things and the couch is there. They lick for enjoyment and they lick and chew because it is pleasurable for them. Its like a cat with a plastic bag.

Ha! My bridge kitty Max did this ALL. THE. TIME.

The girls are couch lickers, and you're right- the get in this 'zone' and out break out of it when we tell them to stop!

We have a pet throwlblanket on the soft to keep them from wearing out the sofa. Thwy can lick that all they want!

And along comes the spoiled sport with something for folks to consider...

I have one in the house that does this often when stressed, bored or otherwise not very happy or content. I have another that is an anxious pup by nature & actually mock-nurses on a toy she has had since puppyhood. The behavior includes the front foot kneading action pups do. This is done at home only but as with the object licking Greyhound it happens when she is bored, over energized or after a stressful situation. Afterwards she promptly falls off to sleep. She can sleep perfectly well without this & travels without that toy. Dogs in general tend to exhibit this type of behavior as one of their ways of relieving stress or anxiety. My anxiety ridden spaniel licked her feet most often but the dog sofa had a large stain from her saliva, a result of licking the couch.

In the case of Greys I suspect it is done more from boredom than anything else. If the dog otherwise appears happy & content, without anxiety & only does it to one particular object, ex. the arm of a leather sofa, then it may be the taste. If they only do it when hanging out on their bed then it could be flavor from a previous treat. However, it could very well be from boredom or a longtime habit developed from previous repeated periods of boredom.

If though your dog is a serial licker :P something else could be the root cause & my supposition is that it is based in anxiety or related emotional state. It may be interesting to make mental notes of when, where, what your hound licks. What was going on before or during the time period the behavior was exhibited. For those with multiple hounds you could pay attention to which one(s) does(do) this & compare their personality to your non-licker. You may notice a pattern that could prove interesting. For example, when I have gotten too wrapped up in work & not needed my hounds assistance for a while I tend to lose track of time. I have discovered that my girl tends to start licking her bed when she needs a potty break. She doesn't do it just because it is past the normal break time. She doesn't when she really, really needs to go. The girl's licks never lie. She also does it to the nearest object when stressed but not so much as to break a stay, such as early on in her working career when in a down stay under a table in a restaurant. It was a clear sign during training that I had pushed her beyond what she was comfortable with.

We have a saying for our girls who lick a lot, "The girl can't hold her licker."