Licking The Couch! Why?

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

I'm guessing this is the forum to post this strange behavior of my baby boy Bailey - okay so he's 7yrs old - not exactly a baby. Anyway, he is allowed on the couch and the bed. But his weird behavior is sometimes when he is laying on the couch he'll just start licking the arm of the couch, and sometimes the cushions - sometimes if I'm not looking I ended up sitting on a wet spot. Why in the world would he do this? It's fabric, not leather or vinyl. He doesn't do it obsessively or anything just seems to feel like doing it for awhile. Anybody have any ideas?

Yup, greyhounds are indeed weird. Some dogs lick themselves and will actually lick and lick at a spot until it is red and raw. I think as the owner of a "licker" I'd much rather have the dog licking the couch. :lol

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Bu likes to lick his tags, which are hanging against his chest. It's odd watching him lick his own chest. It almost seems to soothe him at times. He's not obsessive, so I don't care. He also licks my bed sometimes. Now that's a wet spot I don't like.

Guest sorenkkg

Haka does this. Sometimes the floor, but mostly the couch. I hate sitting in the "wet spot" :rolleyes:

it's a greyhound thing... I'm hoping to get a leather couch one day and maybe it won't be as bad?

Fletcher was just licking the couch earlier this evening :lol He does it often, but I wouldn't say obsessively. I don't have to worry about wet spots, it's his couch, I had to buy another one for me :rolleyes:. Sallie likes to lick the rugs :dunno

Guest Audeamus

Gir licks the couch, bed, floor, walls..... Maybe the couch/wall/bed/floor taste pretty awesome to him :lol

With Gir I have a theory that when he begins to lick things he gets stuck in a repeating loop until something disrupts it. Then he looks kind of groggy and stops licking lol.

Guest KennelMom

From the dog's perspective: Why not? If it's fabric it probably smells good to him...if it's an arm rest than it absorbs oils and smells from your hands and arm. Our furniture is all leather and our lickers usually stick to fabric'd items. Sometimes it's just a way to pass the time for them...like watching tv for us :lol

Couch, pillows, comforter, carpet, people, himself... you name it, Cody has licked it.

Edited by snowjay

Guest dragontearz

Guinness used to lick the wall while laying on my bed all the time, and sometimes the bed itself-loved sleeping in the wet spot..guh..lol

Guest jettcricket

Bee Wiseman licks our coffee table. I have no idea why. Greyhounds are weird. :lol

Duffy licks his dog bed as well....and Hollie. Well Hollie will lick the dishwasher, the refrigerator and sometimes if I'm standing in the kitchen, she'll start licking my pants. :huh

Yes, greyhounds are weird. :lol :lol

"Greyhounds are weird"?? Sorry folks--yet another behavior that isn't greyhound-specific. It's a dog thing. The couch is there--it smells good. It maybe tastes good. Why NOT lick it??? :P

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greycrew

My IG licks the couch (it's leather). And Tone used to sometimes. Rapunzel licks wood and likes to chew on it as well! And no, it's not separation anxiety - she has no issues and does it right in front of my face! She just likes it... :rolleyes:

Edited by greycrew

Guest BrianRke

All three of mine lick my leather couch and chair. Its like they get into a zone. I've often wondered why they do this as well. :couchjump

Guest Swifthounds

Dogs lick things and the couch is there. They lick for enjoyment and they lick and chew because it is pleasurable for them. Its like a cat with a plastic bag.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest Whistle

Vroom is a couch licker. She does not do it if I have a blanket over the couch. My bridge boy, Stopper, was an air conditioning vent cover licker.

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie will lick the sofa cushion and go off into la-la land until given a verbal correction and then she's like "wha? Oh...yeah duuuude. Now I've got the munchies...." if you get my drift. And the sofa is not covered in hemp as far as I know, so there's some other soothing aspect to the whole thing.

Opel the cat will lick people's arms and Trixie's head, non-stop if given the opportunity.

Guest tinams8

Lucy licks the floor and goes into this stupor... it's annoying because her teeth hit the floor somehow and make a clunk clunk clunk clunk noise.

Couch, pillows, comforter, carpet, people, himself... you name it, Cody has licked it.

Maddie is the same way but she licks herself.

and Jay you are killing me!

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]